Rough Country Steering Stabilizer When Adding 2" Level Kit

https://www.roughcountry.com/steering-stabilizer-8749130.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpcs&utm_campaign=1686557678|69533904201&utm_content=327717898487&utm_term=|pla-295285319999|c||8749130&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3IqSBhCoARIsAMBkTb36kcyVeX5eBNmBeBJESrzn6JYLQ2QL1Gv2mRwAJNEqrEMjA3BU2KcaAiDTEALw_wcB

Has anybody had one of these installed? I'm putting on a 2" level kit with track bar relocation and updated caster shims. My dealer said they've been installing these on all of them to stop the death wobble and have had great experiences with them, no issues at all. Anybody got any experience with this? Thanks!

1 hour ago, ChuckDiesel said:

https://www.roughcountry.com/steering-stabilizer-8749130.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpcs&utm_campaign=1686557678|69533904201&utm_content=327717898487&utm_term=|pla-295285319999|c||8749130&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3IqSBhCoARIsAMBkTb36kcyVeX5eBNmBeBJESrzn6JYLQ2QL1Gv2mRwAJNEqrEMjA3BU2KcaAiDTEALw_wcB

Has anybody had one of these installed? I'm putting on a 2" level kit with track bar relocation and updated caster shims. My dealer said they've been installing these on all of them to stop the death wobble and have had great experiences with them, no issues at all. Anybody got any experience with this? Thanks!

The death wobble is caused by to little castor. I have not heard a good reason why Ford doesn't add more castor to these trucks from the factory. The steering damper helps control the problem, so a heavy duty steering dampener will mask/help control the problem, but just know that it is still there. I have had a steering dampener replaced under warranty 3 times on two different trucks. The death wobble wears out the factory dampener pretty fast in my experiance. The interesting thing is that is has been worse on the trucks with the 18" wheel/tire package then the 22" wheel/tire package.  My 22/18" wheels/tires, with 6500 miles is starting to jump around more everyday. I am going to look deeper into adding more castor before replacing the dampener. Personally, if I was going to replace the dampener, I would buy the one of the two Fox dampeners.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Robin Hood   The dealer has told me they add these in addition to the castor shims. The castor shims get the alignment issue fixed and within tolerances and the damper just makes things a little smoother. This is all new to me though I've read hundreds of posts on level kits, track bar adjustments, castor shims, etc. Just have not seen much on the steering dampener.

8 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

The death wobble is caused by to little castor. I have not heard a good reason why Ford doesn't add more castor to these trucks from the factory. The steering damper helps control the problem, so a heavy duty steering dampener will mask/help control the problem, but just know that it is still there. I have had a steering dampener replaced under warranty 3 times on two different trucks. The death wobble wears out the factory dampener pretty fast in my experiance. The interesting thing is that is has been worse on the trucks with the 18" wheel/tire package then the 22" wheel/tire package.  My 22/18" wheels/tires, with 6500 miles is starting to jump around more everyday. I am going to look deeper into adding more castor before replacing the dampener. Personally, if I was going to replace the dampener, I would buy the one of the two Fox dampeners.

What exactly is the meaning of "death wobble"?  From the day I drove my truck home from the dealer I noticed having to make small corrections left or right at highway speeds. After about 450 miles these corrections have almost dissipated, I assume the dissipation is from the tires getting some wear on them. Just curious when people say death wobble what they are talking about, i.e. if it these corrections or something else.

52 minutes ago, JT42 said:

What exactly is the meaning of "death wobble"?  From the day I drove my truck home from the dealer I noticed having to make small corrections left or right at highway speeds. After about 450 miles these corrections have almost dissipated, I assume the dissipation is from the tires getting some wear on them. Just curious when people say death wobble what they are talking about, i.e. if it these corrections or something else.

Yes, what you felt was probably the new tires pulling just a bit. Although with too little of caster they it will tend to wonder more. I just scheduled my truck in to get the front end and castor checked at an alignment shop. I will plan to have them bring it up to 3 degrees castor if it is currently less.

The death wobble is a violent almost uncontrollable shaking of the front end. My previous truck started to dance around on bumps and un-even payment before it got really bad. It would feel like the rear end would jump out on me. My 22 is starting to show the same symptoms. The shop I called said they are seeing issues with the pitman arm  with as little as 5000 miles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JT42 said:

The front wheels turn left to right on there own in small sharp quick movements when you are going straight.

Your steering wheel shakes violently.

On my 19 it happened only when the tires were getting worn. It shook so bad I was unable to steer at times doing 70 on the interstate....only way to stop it is slow down. 

Even trying to muscle the wheel right or left to overpower the violent shaking does not work...

27 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

The front wheels turn left to right on there own in small sharp quick movements when you are going straight.

Your steering wheel shakes violently.

On my 19 it happened only when the tires were getting worn. It shook so bad I was unable to steer at times doing 70 on the interstate....only way to stop it is slow down. 

Even trying to muscle the wheel right or left to overpower the violent shaking does not work...

Wow ya term matches the definition then.