Holster mounts for hand gun

Picked up my F250 yesterday after 5 months of waiting. Huge thanks to this forums information, and specifically  @ice-capades, as I was very thoroughly prepared for every single curveball the dealer threw at me during the purchase process. 

Had a weapongear holster in my F150, but looking for new options. It moved too much up and down due to a single mount point and was an absolute beating installing/uninstalling due to the bolt location in the seat frame. 

Would people mind sharing pics of their mounted holster set ups? This holster picture isn’t mine, but this is the set up I was using. 

I attempted to use the search function but didn’t have any luck. User error I’m sure. Apologies for any re-tread. 

2FB12541-3C85-42A1-86BF-4C154A8F4468.jpeg

5838913D-D73A-47ED-9D77-4019B6F9F2B4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FordySumthin said:

Picked up my F250 yesterday after 5 months of waiting. Huge thanks to this forums information, and specifically  @ice-capades, as I was very thoroughly prepared for every single curveball the dealer threw at me during the purchase process. 

Had a weapongear holster in my F150, but looking for new options. It moved too much up and down due to a single mount point and was an absolute beating installing/uninstalling due to the bolt location in the seat frame. 

Would people mind sharing pics of their mounted holster set ups? This holster picture isn’t mine, but this is the set up I was using. 

I attempted to use the search function but didn’t have any luck. User error I’m sure. Apologies for any re-tread. 

2FB12541-3C85-42A1-86BF-4C154A8F4468.jpeg

5838913D-D73A-47ED-9D77-4019B6F9F2B4.jpeg

Following...interested in what folks are doing.

Posted something similar to this in a different thread. My current truck has a bit of a make shift mount that I modified a little bit. Has worked well for 8 years. When my super duty arrives I have a new product to use. Cleaner mount that will only require two holes. First picture is what I started with, progressing through what I had to do to get it to work. Last pic is this mounting system I'll be changing over to. This holster just stays with my truck and I transition my pistol from my on body holster to the truck holster.

Screenshot_20220330-085029_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-085038_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-085044_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-085110_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gharri30 said:

Posted something similar to this in a different thread. My current truck has a bit of a make shift mount that I modified a little bit. Has worked well for 8 years. When my super duty arrives I have a new product to use. Cleaner mount that will only require two holes. First picture is what I started with, progressing through what I had to do to get it to work. Last pic is this mounting system I'll be changing over to. This holster just stays with my truck and I transition my pistol from my on body holster to the truck holster.

Screenshot_20220330-085029_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-085038_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-085044_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-085110_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for sharing. 

So does the holster just basically use belt clip(s) to clip into it? Or is it a holster made specifically for this mount?  

1 hour ago, Gharri30 said:

Well Gharri30 it appears we now have an appropriate thread to continue our earlier conversation.  I wanted to ask you how you deal with a traffic stop with this set-up, assuming of course that you have had one?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FordySumthin said:

Thanks for sharing. 

So does the holster just basically use belt clip(s) to clip into it? Or is it a holster made specifically for this mount?  

The holster pictured is just a cheap $20 holster. Modified a bit as you can see by the cut I had to put in top of the mount and the spacers, along with having to shave the belt clip down a bit. So its not prettiest thing but it works for now. The current set up I have utilizes the belt clip that comes with the holster and clips into it as it would to your belt, so you have full retention when drawing out of it. The new one offers different clips you can choose from based off of your holster type. So you change the belt clip that comes on your holster with one. Couple examples pictured. It then slides into a slot on top of the mount which has a release you can see if that picture from earlier. This will let me flush mount it instead of having to put spacers behind it like I had to do to my current one for the clip to clear. These mounts can be mounted almost anywhere.... side of nightstand, under desk, etc. They also have a belt attachment to transition to on body carry.

3 hours ago, MT350 said:

Well Gharri30 it appears we now have an appropriate thread to continue our earlier conversation.  I wanted to ask you how you deal with a traffic stop with this set-up, assuming of course that you have had one?  

I have encountered one stop. When they approached I already had everything in my hand resting on the door, along with my wifes permit. When he got to me I told him we both had carry permits that were in my hand and that my firearm was holstered next to my leg and hers was on her. He checked out the permits and said appreciate you letting me know up front because most don't until he runs them and that was that. 

Screenshot_20220330-125421_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-125433_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Gharri30
add Info
  • Like 1

Sounds like you handled that appropriately and I appreciate that. I also know most people are responsible and reasonable and do similarly as you did. I did have a traffic stop once and made a passenger side approach. The driver had a console mounted holster and about the time I noticed it he quickly grabbed the pistol to place it in the glove box. Yes, my anxiety level bumped up a notch!

My thought and preference is, if you are not a threat to the officer, then the officer does not need to know you are carrying. It’s just one more thing for the officer to have to deal with or be concerned with. That changes of course if the officer asks you to do something that would potentially reveal your weapon. At that time you could say something like what you did above and let the officer direct you from there. I guess my point is all of those options go out the window if you are carrying any other way than on-body, concealed. 

I can understand why folks carry this way but I won’t do it myself.  Too many pro’s for concealed carry and I only see potential problems with any kind of off-body.  Just my two cents and to each his own. 

I'm not a fan of off body carry.  Also not a fan of required informed to LEO, there have been issues with that too.

I posted earlier, watching people struggle with conceal carry in a vehicle during a training exercise was somewhat hilarious the gymnastics people had to do to get to their firearm.  But it was also very sad, they had never tried to do it before.  Even quickly unbuckling your seatbelt requires a technique that most have never seen before.

46 minutes ago, road turtle said:

I'm not a fan of off body carry.  Also not a fan of required informed to LEO, there have been issues with that too.

I posted earlier, watching people struggle with conceal carry in a vehicle during a training exercise was somewhat hilarious the gymnastics people had to do to get to their firearm.  But it was also very sad, they had never tried to do it before.  Even quickly unbuckling your seatbelt requires a technique that most have never seen before.

I agree with everything you just said. I believe if can be armed you should be and if you choose to arm yourself then practice and prepare yourself mentally for possible situations. 

1 hour ago, MT350 said:

Sounds like you handled that appropriately and I appreciate that. I also know most people are responsible and reasonable and do similarly as you did. I did have a traffic stop once and made a passenger side approach. The driver had a console mounted holster and about the time I noticed it he quickly grabbed the pistol to place it in the glove box. Yes, my anxiety level bumped up a notch!

My thought and preference is, if you are not a threat to the officer, then the officer does not need to know you are carrying. It’s just one more thing for the officer to have to deal with or be concerned with. That changes of course if the officer asks you to do something that would potentially reveal your weapon. At that time you could say something like what you did above and let the officer direct you from there. I guess my point is all of those options go out the window if you are carrying any other way than on-body, concealed. 

I can understand why folks carry this way but I won’t do it myself.  Too many pro’s for concealed carry and I only see potential problems with any kind of off-body.  Just my two cents and to each his own. 

I guarantee it did. There are diffinately pros and cons to every situation and no one can ever be 100% correct in the way they approach something. All we can do is try to do what we think is best for us or give us the biggest advantage and practice those situations. 

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

You are 100% correct in most have never practiced being in that situation. Most believe that once they have their firearm that's all there is to it. I carry appendix and have run through drawing buckled in, in different clothing, and dismounting from the vehicle and have found what works best for me. Just like I don't agree with open carrying but if that's what you want to do and have it properly secured then go for it.