'22 March Sales

35 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Wow, Edge sales are exploding up. Go Edge. FSeries and Expedition sales are getting hammered. I imagine fuel prices are probably 25% of the drop. And the other 30% parts shortage. Still not sure why Mustang outsells Mach E month after month. 

Yes it seems either they’re just filling the lots or the edge is actually selling. We have only been laid off two weeks since Nov 29th 2021. We are currently working between 9-10 hours shifts at OAC. We will see how long this actually lasts as the Edge is on its way out after 2023 model year. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Wow, Edge sales are exploding up. Go Edge. FSeries and Expedition sales are getting hammered. I imagine fuel prices are probably 25% of the drop. And the other 30% parts shortage. Still not sure why Mustang outsells Mach E month after month. 

12k a month and 26k for the quarter is not exploding.  2021 production was terrible.  Pre Covid Edge was in the 15k+ range every month.

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I'd say it's inventory far more than fuel.

My dealer is mostly a used car lot right now.  Can't sell what you don't have.

Some pretty ugly numbers there.  But I slotted in as 1 of those Bronco sales for March!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'd say it's inventory far more than fuel.

My dealer is mostly a used car lot right now.  Can't sell what you don't have.

Some pretty ugly numbers there.  But I slotted in as 1 of those Bronco sales for March!

Well it’s better than what it has been in regards to Edge sales and better than OAC being on one shift which was the rumor for awhile!

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Both of the GM Full size SUV offerings were up. Again-I'm not putting much in to numbers under the current "chip" thing. However-I will say the GM's full size SUVs are now priced where if you can afford one I don't think fuel costs are a consideration.

8 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Mach E is also made and exported to Europe so maybe double the sales, kinda sorta….,

Also, I would have thought that Ford would have biased F Series production more than they seem to be doing, maybe it’s the types of chips in short supply that is causing dramas…..

Edited by jpd80

20 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Mach E is also made and exported to Europe so maybe double the sales, kinda sorta….,

Also, I would have thought that Ford would have biased F Series production more than they seem to be doing, maybe it’s the types of chips in short supply that is causing dramas…..

Yeah, you would think Ford would move mountains to build more high profit Super Duties, but they seem to be in very short supply. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

The Super Duty reductions are almost entirely commodity restraints, with shipping delays having minor impact. All the SD orders were long before fuel prices increased.

Some random observations:

• Edge sales increases probably reflects shortage of Explorer more than anything.
  • Bronco Sport + Escape combo seems to hold steady.
  • Maverick is already outselling EcoSport so the strategy is working.
  • Curious about the Mach E as well... it's certainly not due to lack of demand as most Ford dealers have long order books and wait lists. When is that production volume increase is supposed to occur? 
  • Are F-series sales still down due to chip supply or something else? 47% decline year over year suggests it's more than supply issues. I don't have any guesses on what's driving the freefall, just thinking out loud.
  • Ranger too... 44% decline year over year - I suppose Ford may be shifting production volume over to Bronco but that drop probably indicates more competition than anything else. Nissan returned to the market with a 99% residual lease - that must have had an impact short term. Should keep an eye on this one.
  • The big annual spring delivery of Transit to fleet buyers didn't seem to happen this year - or maybe delayed?
  • Expedition and Navigator sales collapse - gas prices?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bzcat said:

• Are F-series sales still down due to chip supply or something else? 47% decline year over year suggests it's more than supply issues. I don't have any guesses on what's driving the freefall, just thinking out loud.

With a Super Duty order bank last reported at 250,000 and increasing, it isn't for lack of sales. They have numerous commodity restraints which have resulted in plant shuts down and reduced shifts.

21 minutes ago, Rangers09 said:

With a Super Duty order bank last reported at 250,000 and increasing, it isn't for lack of sales. They have numerous commodity restraints which have resulted in plant shuts down and reduced shifts.

In Central FL, the F150 is just another pickup truck among many. But the Super Duty is by far the King of the Hill here. Optioned out Super Duties with the big tires clutter the major highways here. About every major contractor and even the smaller landscapers covet the Super Duty. They really stand out and make the traditional pickup look like a toy. Too bad Ford is having such a hard time building them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

• Edge sales increases probably reflects shortage of Explorer more than anything.
  • Curious about the Mach E as well... it's certainly not due to lack of demand as most Ford dealers have long order books and wait lists. When is that production volume increase is supposed to occur? 
  • Ranger too... 44% decline year over year - I suppose Ford may be shifting production volume over to Bronco but that drop probably indicates more competition than anything else. Nissan returned to the market with a 99% residual lease - that must have had an impact short term. Should keep an eye on this one.
  • The big annual spring delivery of Transit to fleet buyers didn't seem to happen this year - or maybe delayed?

GM full size is up-as per my post above. If you can afford the price of admission for theses vehicles-I believe fuel costs are a non issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

It seems to be chips + supply issues being a double whammy for F-series, and by extension Expedition/Navigator.

A 47% decline is not normal, even with gas prices how they are, and as has been pointed out full size sales from other manufacturers aren't as affected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

GM full size is up-as per my post above. If you can afford the price of admission for theses vehicles-I believe fuel costs are a non issue.

Right. And, The Nav, anyway, didn't start production until January. So, retail orders aside, I would assume sales would be down with none having shown up on dealer lots until, I think,  mid-March. 

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It seems to be chips + supply issues being a double whammy for F-series, and by extension Expedition/Navigator.

A 47% decline is not normal, even with gas prices how they are, and as has been pointed out full size sales from other manufacturers aren't as affected.

Don't forget aluminum which seems to in short supply and inflated cost. FSeries nd Expedition/Navigator use lots of aluminum and all in short supply it seems.  I really believe it's more than chip shortages. 

Word is that  F150s are sitting all over the lots on chip holds, especially any trim higher than a Lariat as of now. It really sucks but not much you can do when you are waiting on an international delivery of 100k chips, use them immediately and then wait all over again. 

Dearborn assembly was down almost 6 weeks. Kansas City was down to one shift for about the same time. They just don't have the parts to finish builds and it's not just Ford it's almost everyone.

I heard a Rumor that Corvette crashes resulting in a non-drivable status, they're getting totaled because of parts availability. If true, that’s  shocking news ( a repairable write off would be valuable trade work once parts become available)

On 4/6/2022 at 3:48 AM, jpd80 said:

I heard a Rumor that Corvette crashes resulting in a non-drivable status, they're getting totaled because of parts availability. If true, that’s  shocking news ( a repairable write off would be valuable trade work once parts become available)

That is happening with almost every new vehicle that has come out in the past 24 months or so. The Bronco and Bronco Sport will be totaled out because they can’t replacement parts. 

39 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That is happening with almost every new vehicle that has come out in the past 24 months or so. The Bronco and Bronco Sport will be totaled out because they can’t replacement parts. 

I wonder if wrecking yards can hold them until parts become available or is the write off a legal end point where repair is banned?

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I wonder if wrecking yards can hold them until parts become available or is the write off a legal end point where repair is banned?

Hard to say for certain.  They may end up with a salvage title, but that’s usually based on a percentage of value.  If it is only a few parts back ordered, probably worth buying and holding until parts are available.  Insurance company wants it off the books.  Particularly if they are paying for a rental car until the damages can be repaired.  You may be able to buy the car yourself and fix it later.

• Like 1

We all saw the big drop in F Series sales last month to around 40,000 but word is there are heaps of incomplete, unable to deliver to customer F Series with dealers awaiting chips. That tells me at some time in the next month or so, Ford goes through the same thing that happened last August where chips are sent progressively to dealers to complete and deliver trucks.

The trucks are built just need completing so should see some good catch up months ahead, fingers crossed…