Recommended Amount of Miles Before Towing RV

I'm planning on getting my 1000 in ASAP and then have the rear end lube changed out before towing.  My first outing is planned the first weekend in May.  Hopefully I've got a truck by then.  I can't get the hitch to stay on my bicycle.

• Like 1

We have a trip planned for the end of the month, but not sure if we will quite crack 1,000 miles by then.  I think close might be good enough as long as we do everything else right.

Today was our first day with the truck (7.3L gas) and we managed 85 miles.  I was a little surprised that our average mpg was 16.1 on a brand new truck (but nowhere near the 23.5 we averaged on the F150 on the way to the dealership).  

1 hour ago, NH_Bulldog said:

We have a trip planned for the end of the month, but not sure if we will quite crack 1,000 miles by then.  I think close might be good enough as long as we do everything else right.

Today was our first day with the truck (7.3L gas) and we managed 85 miles.  I was a little surprised that our average mpg was 16.1 on a brand new truck (but nowhere near the 23.5 we averaged on the F150 on the way to the dealership).  

I’d say you got lucky with your F150 then. I couldn’t have gotten 23 down hill in neutral with a tail wind in mine. I could sustain 18-19 if I drove like VERY carefully but normally I’d get 15ish. If I can get 16.1 in my new one, I’ll be a very happy camper. ?

We have a trip planned for about 2-3 weeks after the projected delivery date and will be pulling loaded a 24' enclosed over the mountains.  If it comes in in time I should be able to hit the 1000 mark (will do an oil and rear diff fluid change).  My daily commute is 70+ so a couple of small weekend trips added in should do it.  Of course I doubt it will be here in time so I'm prepping my old truck for the trip (04 Ram Cummins/6 sp manual) but it would be a bummer to leave my new truck sitting because I didn't get the break in done ?

This truck made it to 850 before towing.  Prior truck, drove from the dealer to the RV dealer to pick up the trailer.  Had 35 or so miles on it.  Never an issue.  Last D-max had about 200 before towing.  You'll be absolutely fine towing immediately.  Think of all the commercial work trucks sold....do they use them as grocery getters for 1K before putting them to work?  

17 minutes ago, bshort said:

This truck made it to 850 before towing.  Prior truck, drove from the dealer to the RV dealer to pick up the trailer.  Had 35 or so miles on it.  Never an issue.  Last D-max had about 200 before towing.  You'll be absolutely fine towing immediately.  Think of all the commercial work trucks sold....do they use them as grocery getters for 1K before putting them to work?  

I have no doubt we are talking about nuances here.  Thing is, this will be my last truck.  I plan to keep this truck until I no longer need a truck.  Hopefully 20 years or so.  I'm wanting to do everything absolutely correctly if possible.  If I was the person that trades in every 3-5 years I wouldn't worry about this stuff as much.  This is also why I rarely buy used.  Not everyone feels the same way about the way to break in and use new vehicles as I do.  Not saying I'm right, just my OCD I'm sure.

That being said, I treated my last one ('12 F150) the same way because it was going to be my last truck, until I got into travel trailers that is.  The person that bought it from me in October got a brand new 9 year old truck.

Going to try to hit the 1k as well. Any other things to change aside oil before towing during “break in”.

i wondered if the computer is able to show hooked up before 1k miles and dealer is able to see that in the computer to void a warranty, etc.. 

16 minutes ago, MFord said:

Going to try to hit the 1k as well. Any other things to change aside oil before towing during “break in”.

i wondered if the computer is able to show hooked up before 1k miles and dealer is able to see that in the computer to void a warranty, etc.. 

My mechanic recommended rear diff and engine oil change after 1K.  Something about the lockers in the rear diff.  It all went over my head.  :c)

13 hours ago, CBears said:

I’d say you got lucky with your F150 then. I couldn’t have gotten 23 down hill in neutral with a tail wind in mine. I could sustain 18-19 if I drove like VERY carefully but normally I’d get 15ish. If I can get 16.1 in my new one, I’ll be a very happy camper. ?

We have always gotten pretty good MPG's with the F150.  It has the 3.5L Twin Turbo so unloaded, it did really well on the highway (having 3:31 gears is also part of that).  Towing our 7,500 lb. camper, and the truck loaded up, we averaged a bit under 10 MPG.     

Most break in procedures for engine powered vehicles emphasize varying speed and load.  Don't just jump in, set the cruise control, and drive for a few hours.  We had a 25 foot boat and they wanted 20 hours of varied speed and load.  Idle to warm up, half throttle for 15 minutes, full throttle for 15 minutes, back to slower speeds etc.  Boat engines run 100% power for hours at a time.  Trucks might do it for a few minutes and then part throttle for hour.  My truck is on order with no movement yet, but my old truck has a home as soon as the new one arrives.  My trailer is about 5000# and all the camping is at least 4000 feet higher in elevation so we will be gently pulling the hills at reduced speed, varying engine speed and load so we can use it.

An earlier post about Cummins engines is true.  My current truck has a Cummins engine and has 200,000 miles on it without even a water pump change.  I did do a injector pump change due to a internal computer failure but that is about it.  Still running strong.  Most new diesels want a hard pull often to allow regeneration of the pollution filters, city driving really plugs them up.  Your mileage may vary

30 minutes ago, NH_Bulldog said:

We have always gotten pretty good MPG's with the F150.  It has the 3.5L Twin Turbo so unloaded, it did really well on the highway (having 3:31 gears is also part of that).  Towing our 7,500 lb. camper, and the truck loaded up, we averaged a bit under 10 MPG.     

I had a 2012 with 3.55 gears and 3.5 ecoboost I believe.  15-16 unloaded, 7-8 loaded with 6K trailer.  You definitely did better than I did.

8 hours ago, TJAldridge said:

At the rate my build is going I am not going to have the luxury of getting 1000 miles before I have to tow my 18k fifth wheel.  I hope I can at least get a few miles before hooking up but that is in Ford's hands for now!

That's why we cancelled our summer plans for this year. No way I'm hauling 8.5 tons up the Rockies with a brand new truck. I expected mine in Feb/Mar, but now delayed until mid-May. Other issue is RV park reservations, as by the time the truck is delivered, they will be in short supply for a 41' 5'er.

Edited by Rangers09

1 hour ago, Rangers09 said:

That's why we cancelled our summer plans for this year. No way I'm hauling 8.5 up the Rockies with a brand new truck. I expected mine in Feb/Mar, but now delayed until mid-May. Other issue is RV park reservations, as by the time the truck is delivered, they will be in short supply for a 41' 5'er.

I’ve got ours equipped with a pretty robust solar and batter package for this very reason.  Makes boon docking ways easier/more comfortable.  

5 hours ago, MAFFS89 said:

I’ve got ours equipped with a pretty robust solar and batter package for this very reason.  Makes boon docking ways easier/more comfortable.  

I only installed a single solar panel with 1500W inverter. OK for a single night, but to be honest, we aren't really into boon docking.

9 hours ago, MFord said:

My question as well.  1000 miles is overkill, really just need a few heat & cool cycles for the rear gears so after doing that I'd be happy to start towing but wonder if Ford can tell if a trailer has been hooked up before 1000 miles and void the warranty.  Wouldn't surprise me to find out they could pull the data.  With an integrated brake controller and likely load sensor(s) it's not far fetched to think the system is smart enough to know....  Does anyone know the fact of the matter?

It'll take a 1000 miles for me to get it home from Granger.  However, I have seen it advised (with gas engines) that the first 500 miles or so shouldn't be done at a constant speed. Don't know if this applies to diesels.  I'll probably in some side road excursions along the way to vary the speed.

I live in SW Michigan. When or if I ever get my new truck, I am just going to take a road trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula. It's over a 1000 miles round trip. I will just manually shift between the upper gears to vary the RPM's and stop at every rest stop on the way up. I am already missing spring camping and possibly summer camping. I want to at least do some camping this year. It's going to be a long and slow trip, but I am not going to waste any time getting my 1000 miles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jstenger said:

I live in SW Michigan. When or if I ever get my new truck, I am just going to take a road trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula. It's over a 1000 miles round trip. I will just manually shift between the upper gears to vary the RPM's and stop at every rest stop on the way up. I am already missing spring camping and possibly summer camping. I want to at least do some camping this year. It's going to be a long and slow trip, but I am not going to waste any time getting my 1000 miles.

Same plan, different location. 

12 hours ago, jstenger said:

Same plan for us. We are on the West Coast and have a road trip to Manitoba/North Dakota in June, which is about 3,000 miles R/T. She will be heading over the Rockies, but we are slumming it in hotels, as the 5'er stays in storage.