Recommended Amount of Miles Before Towing RV

16 hours ago, jstenger said:

I live in SW Michigan. When or if I ever get my new truck, I am just going to take a road trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula. It's over a 1000 miles round trip. I will just manually shift between the upper gears to vary the RPM's and stop at every rest stop on the way up. I am already missing spring camping and possibly summer camping. I want to at least do some camping this year. It's going to be a long and slow trip, but I am not going to waste any time getting my 1000 miles.

Hey, maybe we will cross paths.  Every year we hook up the camper and travel from New England to visit my wife's family in Muskegon and then loop up to the Keweenaw (Chassell, Houghton/Hancock area) for another week to visit the rest of her family and pick copper from mine tailings

On 4/6/2022 at 8:18 PM, jstenger said:

I live in SW Michigan. When or if I ever get my new truck, I am just going to take a road trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula. It's over a 1000 miles round trip. I will just manually shift between the upper gears to vary the RPM's and stop at every rest stop on the way up. I am already missing spring camping and possibly summer camping. I want to at least do some camping this year. It's going to be a long and slow trip, but I am not going to waste any time getting my 1000 miles.

I love the Keweenaw area!  Been there lots of times and always have a blast.  Just make sure to do a brake check before coming down Brockway Mountain Drive! :)

I had just over 500 miles on my F350 with 7.3 before I hooked up to my 6700lbs travel trailer. Went through Colorado on 70 into Utah down through Arizona the back homevto kansas. I've had no problems with anything. If you think about it fleet customers hook these up to trailers day one and go to work. 

34 minutes ago, Dog breath said:

Warm it up to operating temp then hook up your trailer and drive normally. After a few hours drive through the mountains. Get those rings seated before your first oil change.  Very important or cylinder glazing may occur and you will be burning oil

Unfortunately, not all of us have the luxury of driving for a few hours before hitting the mountains.

I have an 11% grade within 20 miles of where I store the 5'er and I encounter the Rockies after only 45 mins. If heading East, they last for 500+ miles. Personally, before I haul 16,500 lbs up and down multiple 8 to 12% grades, I'll follow the manual's procedure.

9 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Unfortunately, not all of us have the luxury of driving for a few hours before hitting the mountains.

I have an 11% grade within 20 miles of where I store the 5'er and I encounter the Rockies after only 45 mins. If heading East, they last for 500+ miles. Personally, before I haul 16,500 lbs up and down multiple 8 to 12% grades, I'll follow the manual's procedure.

And in the end, it will make no difference whether you waited 1000 miles or 100 miles, but it's your money/time.  I would say the most important thing is to fill those factory underfilled diffs and t-cases.  

46 minutes ago, bshort said:

And in the end, it will make no difference whether you waited 1000 miles or 100 miles, but it's your money/time.  I would say the most important thing is to fill those factory underfilled diffs and t-cases.  

Underfilled?  You do understand that too much oil is just as bad as too little?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bshort said:

The big difference will be in the event of experiencing issues during the warranty period. I can state I followed the manual, so that removes that potential of refusing warranty.

3 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

The big difference will be in the event of experiencing issues during the warranty period. I can state I followed the manual, so that removes that potential of refusing warranty.

Not really.   You can't prove you did and they can't prove you didn't.  

3 hours ago, bshort said:

Not really.   You can't prove you did and they can't prove you didn't.  

You have no idea of my situation. Where I store my 5'er, the owner, who I see every time I visit, can verify that it never moved. Helps being in a separate bay at the very front of the lot, by his greenhouses and shipping bay.