Fallacy of Electrics

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

I personally like how Ford hasn't gone all in like say GM....as another manufacturer just stated...SOMEONE will still be building ICE and selling everything they make....

Correct, hybrid and PHEV gives ICE buyers the opportunity to benefit from electrification without any significant drawbacks, that’s where Ford’s plan makes more sense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

Don't count propane and gasoline/diesel out just yet!  When the mining companies and countries hold Lithium and other minerals hostage like they did with the chips, you'll be holding your thumb up your a$$!!!!

That is the stupidest thing I've read today....

Man people just don't like change....

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

That is the stupidest thing I've read today....

Man people just don't like change....

comment aside...expect shortages when it comes to raw materials necessary for battery manufacture...even Musk has stated he may have to venture into lithium mining. As for being held hostage..ANY time we are dependent on foreign supply, theres always a good change those materials will be leveraged and supply manipulated...its EXACTLY the same as oil and theres no doubt in my mind it will mirror the same path.......

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Deanh said:

comment aside...expect shortages when it comes to raw materials necessary for battery manufacture...even Musk has stated he may have to venture into lithium mining. As for being held hostage..ANY time we are dependent on foreign supply, theres always a good change those materials will be leveraged and supply manipulated...its EXACTLY the same as oil and theres no doubt in my mind it will mirror the same path.......

Supposedly, solid state batteries will not require lithium, nickel, or any other minerals for that matter. And supposedly solid state batteries will be here in a few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

But at the same time continue down the same path we have been is the definition of insanity, especially when it is a product that we are apparently running out of. 

All I see is finger pointing and regurgitation of stupid tropes of electric vehicles on social media to try influence adaption of them, often by people have no clue.

Not to mention there has already attempts to source items locally (ie North America) for lithium mining and other items needed for batteries.

So your either gonna keep propping up 3rd world shitholes for oil, frack the hell out of your own country or try to mine the stuff you need for batteries-pick your poison.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

But at the same time continue down the same path we have been is the definition of insanity, especially when it is a product that we are apparently running out of. 

All I see is finger pointing and regurgitation of stupid tropes of electric vehicles on social media to try influence adaption of them, often by people have no clue.

Not to mention there has already attempts to source items locally (ie North America) for lithium mining and other items needed for batteries.

So your either gonna keep propping up 3rd world shitholes for oil, frack the hell out of your own country or try to mine the stuff you need for batteries-pick your poison.  

all the time saving the environment right?...I know...bat shit crazy logic that befuddles me...

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Supposedly, solid state batteries will not require lithium, nickel, or any other minerals for that matter. And supposedly solid state batteries will be here in a few years. 

when that actually happens Ill be convinced...an awful lot of crap has been stated over the years regarding electric vehicles and their power source...only to basically completely disappear from conversation and not become reality...so until something actually becomes reality Ill label such rumors as that as false promotion attempting to convince naysayers,,,...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Deanh said:

when that actually happens Ill be convinced...an awful lot of crap has been stated over the years regarding electric vehicles and their power source...only to basically completely disappear from conversation and not become reality...so until something actually becomes reality Ill label such rumors as that as false promotion attempting to convince naysayers,,,...

We'll see if Nissan can pull this off.  Pilot production of solid-state batteries to start in 2024.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/technology/a39702286/nissan-solid-state-ev-battery-production/

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

There also haven’t been a real market or government requirements to meet until the past 10 years or so either. 

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Is that before or after those flying cars we've heard about?  Lol.

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

all the time saving the environment right?...I know...bat shit crazy logic that befuddles me...

Don't you know if you do it across the world, it doesn't affect the environment?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

There also haven’t been a real market or government requirements to meet until the past 10 years or so either. 

agreed...but I swear I would lay money on good old ICE soldiering on, and I would absolutely love someone to develop a synthetic gasoline equivalent that was reasonably affordable to keep me, and Id guess a LOT of other happy. If theres a shortage of material necessary to manufacture Electric batteries , imagine what will happen to THEIR pricing.....

Edited by Deanh

On 4/14/2022 at 3:18 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Isn't everything in SoCal unaffordable unless you’re ultra rich? 

When these kinds of discussions pop up, the opening stanza of the classic Neil Diamond song "I Am... I Said" always pops into my head:

L.A.'s fine, the sun shines most the time
And the feeling is "lay back"
Palm trees grow and rents are low
But you know I keep thinkin' about
Making my way back

What LA and coastal California did to itself the last few decades is really something. 

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled discussion on how electric vehicles will save the world!

(...and BTW, I decided to buy out my Nautilus lease and will be keeping it for a few more years. Most likely my next vehicle will be an electric. Looking forward to today's unveiling of the Lincoln electric prototype.)

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Deanh said:

Nissan even makes me more skeptical.....

Ford and its battery sponsor are working on solid state battery too. I believe all the major auto companies are working hard on it. Especially now with shortages of expensive metals. To say only Nissan is working on it is very wrong. On side note, the new Nissan variable compression ICE engine gets fuel mileage almost as good as comparable hybrid.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford and its battery sponsor are working on solid state battery too. I believe all the major auto companies are working hard on it. Especially now with shortages of expensive metals. To say only Nissan is working on it is very wrong. On side note, the new Nissan variable compression ICE engine gets fuel mileage almost as good as comparable hybrid.

don't mention the CVT......ever....