Towing with a Tremor ??

I recently purchased a 2022 F250 Tremor. While I love the look of the tires and wheels I can already tell it's not going to ride well towing my camper.  18" wheels with 35" tall MT tires.  I plan on buying 20" take offs as to not add to the width and my question is, should Should I still go with a 35" tall tire with a less aggressive AT instead of the MT or would I be better going with a little shorter AT tire and re calibrating the speedo?  I would love to hear from those that have some experience in this area.  I like the look of the taller tire and really don't want to  mess with the speedo but will if I need to.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3540.jpeg

4 hours ago, Wolfsnout said:

I recently purchased a 2022 F250 Tremor. While I love the look of the tires and wheels I can already tell it's not going to ride well towing my camper.  18" wheels with 35" tall MT tires.  I plan on buying 20" take offs as to not add to the width and my question is, should Should I still go with a 35" tall tire with a less aggressive AT instead of the MT or would I be better going with a little shorter AT tire and re calibrating the speedo?  I would love to hear from those that have some experience in this area.  I like the look of the taller tire and really don't want to  mess with the speedo but will if I need to.

Thanks in advance!

First, gorgeous truck. 

Second, better in what regard?

You could have gotten 34" AT tires on 20" rims with an FX4 package, had a higher payload, and saved yourself thousands.

You will see some improvement with 34" AT tires. Depends on weight of the tire, rolling resistance, etc. Rolling mass would, assuming here, be less. Rolling resistance, assuming again, would be lower. 

Would you actually notice it, being you have the 6.7? Probably not. Might notice less road noise.

• Like 1

I agree 100% with gom, but what's done is done. I bet you could easily do a one for one swap with a fellow member with 20's looking for your wheels and tires. FYI, your tires are 34.83 x 11.22 - 18 and the stock 20's are 34.07 x 10.83 -20. So the 20's are only 3/4" shorter and 1/2" narrower. I personally would stay with the stock Tremor tires. I had almost 60,000 miles on my last set of Duratracs, and most of the miles were towing my 38' fifthwheel and 20' enclosed trailer. I really liked the tires.

• Like 1

I would like to know more about why you say it won't tow well with those tires.

I tow all the time. My truck has heavy trailers hitched more often than riding empty. I run aggressive tires while towing, and run a 17" rim / 35" tall M&S tire on my current truck, and tow in all seasons and weather conditions.

I'll take the "aggressive" tire over a highway slick any day! Just crank up the pressures for towing.

Edited by NoPistons
  • Like 1

My f350 CCLB 4x4 came with 3300 or 3500 (IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY)(lb rated) 33" tires.

I changed them to 35" 4080 (lb rated) tires. 

The 35s feel better towing than the stock AT tires did. Now that they are worn in a bit the handling on these 285/75s aggressive tires gives a tighter/rougher ride than the goodyear Kevlar 275/70 smooshy bouncy junk tires that came on the truck.

I don't believe it is your tire height that makes the tremor a not ideal towing truck....it is the suspension/extremely low cargo capacity.

• Like 1

First off, Thanks for the complements. She is a looker.  I have a different Truck on order that was pushed back weekly. Then this one fell in my lap while out of town so I got what I got.

I traded a 2019 xlt that had terrible  bump steer and a slight death wobble.  The wobble was fixed,  the bump steer was a little better but always there.  Got rid of the goodyear tires and it dot a little better and drove much smother and did not wonder like the GY's. On the highway I could do 80-95 and it tracked great unless you hit a pot hole, then you hung on. With this truck as soon as I pulled out on the road I found it wondered. I did not feel as comfortable at speed. I have gotten used to it now ,but would like to get it a little more stable.  Not to mention the road noise, but I could live with that.  I just feel like more rubber between the rim and the outside of the tread makes for a bit more give.  I was thinking 20" tremor wheels with Nitto Gabblers may track better?  

35x11.50R20LT E

Overall Actual Diameter: 34.76"

Overall Actual Width: 11.42"

Approved Rim Width: 8" - 10.5"

10-Ply Rating

Tread Depth (1/32): 18.3"

Load (Lbs.): 3525 @ 80 PSI

Compared to Duratrac

LT285/75R18   35.1"    11.2"   They are only a tad shorter, but less between the rim and the tread with a less aggressive tread pattern. 

I really don't think the suspension is soft on the Tremor as it is identical to the F350. 

I will also add that the ride is much smoother and I realize I may be giving some of that up. ?  My camper is a bumper pull toy hauler around 10500lbs loaded. It can be a little squirmy anyway. 

Thank you all for the input.  I am still on the fence.

40 minutes ago, Wolfsnout said:

So after even more research on here, I got a lead to the Tremor Forum and found that I'm not the only one with this complaint. Now looking for a solution.

WS,

I lot of guys on the Tremor forum say it takes a while for the Duratacs to break in, like 3k miles, to get rid of the wondering.

Some also suggest airing tires down for better ride and quicker break in when not towing.

Just a thought.

PS We’ve had our 250 Tremor on order, without a vin, for over nine months.  So, we’ll gladly take yours if you don’t like it…haha.

20 minutes ago, sjmcken81 said:

WS,

I lot of guys on the Tremor forum say it takes a while for the Duratacs to break in, like 3k miles, to get rid of the wondering.

Some also suggest airing tires down for better ride and quicker break in when not towing.

Just a thought.

PS We’ve had our 250 Tremor on order, without a vin, for over nine months.  So, we’ll gladly take yours if you don’t like it…haha.

Ye, I see a few people say that as well.  I think they just get used to them. lol  I hope you get yours soon.  I love mine, shes a keeper.  I was lucky to find it.  The one I ordered is built and shipped.  Not a Tremor though.  Still a nice truck for someone and they wont have to wait, but I'm sure they will pay

• Like 1