trailer brake recall question

Hi all,

So the SuperDuty I ordered has finally reached the dealer and I think I'm going to be able to run down and get it only to find it's been recalled for the "Reprogram Integrated Trailer Relay Module."  The dealer told me there is no time estimate on when this will or can get done and I don't really have any more information.

Updating the module sounds like they plug it in to something and tell it to update.  Is there anything more to it?  It looks like it's a new recall but should I expect this to delay when I can pick up my truck?  

In all honesty I have to fly to pick it up from an out of state dealer and have a window in just under two weeks that would work.  I read the remedy description and it sounds like there is not a lot to it and technically can go to any dealership to have the work done. 

The dealer told me they want to make sure everything is good with my truck before they deliver it to me, which I respect, but do they have to do the work or can they let it go knowing I'll have it done at a home dealership?

Thanks for the input.

I had posted on the other Trailer Brake Controller Recall topic here.  Mine was build 3/22 and the recall was published 3/25.  Mine is NOT subject to the recall and does not show up on the Ford recall list, the NTSB recall list, and the dealer checked everything before I picked up the truck last week and said we are in the clear.  Assuming you have independently verified that your truck is part of the recall, it is my understanding that the "fix" has not been widely released to the dealers yet for the Super Duty line, but that it is simply a software update that they plug in and upload.  Unless you are planning to tow immediately (which Ford does not recommend), I would get the truck home and have a local dealer address it when the fix is widely available.  It doesn't affect anything else except trailer brakes.    

I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I saw either on here or in the Facebook Super Duty group that a dealer is not able to release a new vehicle if it has an open recall.  Again, no idea if that is actually true, but that would really suck to know your truck was there but couldn't be picked up because of a software update.

17 hours ago, Wofulcyrcle said:

Hi all,

So the SuperDuty I ordered has finally reached the dealer and I think I'm going to be able to run down and get it only to find it's been recalled for the "Reprogram Integrated Trailer Relay Module."  The dealer told me there is no time estimate on when this will or can get done and I don't really have any more information.

Updating the module sounds like they plug it in to something and tell it to update.  Is there anything more to it?  It looks like it's a new recall but should I expect this to delay when I can pick up my truck?  

In all honesty I have to fly to pick it up from an out of state dealer and have a window in just under two weeks that would work.  I read the remedy description and it sounds like there is not a lot to it and technically can go to any dealership to have the work done. 

The dealer told me they want to make sure everything is good with my truck before they deliver it to me, which I respect, but do they have to do the work or can they let it go knowing I'll have it done at a home dealership?

Thanks for the input.

Mine was built 11/20 2021. I just talked to my dealer today, no recall as of yet.

4 hours ago, ButlerDan said:

I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I saw either on here or in the Facebook Super Duty group that a dealer is not able to release a new vehicle if it has an open recall.  Again, no idea if that is actually true, but that would really suck to know your truck was there but couldn't be picked up because of a software update.

Generally, that's a true statement.  I got involved in one recall, that was issued as a stop ship, but not stop delivery.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wofulcyrcle said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the input.

Did you do the VIN check?  It's not unusual for recall items to be cleared up at KTP before dealers get the update.  You see this more frequently on mechanical components, Ford will make sure the component mfg is shipping good parts, but they may not have enough to feed the dealers, or they haven't developed a repair process yet.

Thanks everyone for the input.  Just as an update I got word from the dealer that the recall issue with my truck was taken care of and I'm set to pick up next week.  As I thought the fix didn't take long.  Hopefully nothing else pops up that would delay getting it.

• Like 1