Towing with F150s

elltee

What are your experiences towing with the F150? I have 2019 Lariat with the 3.5 EcoBoost and the 3.31 gear. I'm soon to be out of my lease and my son wants to buy the truck with the intention of getting a travel trailer or 1/2 ton capable 5th wheel. The salesman that he deals with at his local dealership said he should be good to around 10k pounds. Has anyone approached that towing weight with a similar setup?

My suggestion is that you review the applicable 2019 towing guide specs for your Lariat and its specific options to see what its various tow-ratings actually are.  There's more than just engine and axle ratio in play to determine this.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2019_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

My experience with F150's, having used many to tow a wide range of utility and RV loads over the decades, is that they can consistently tow adequately up to the published rated limits but keeping loads below the maximums provides better performance and a more relaxed (enjoyable) towing experience.  IOW, when you tow 'at the limits' it feels like you're 'at the limits' and that's not so desirable in my experience.

I suspect that the 3.31:1 axle ratio will yield adequate but less than desirable performance at launch and on grades with a 10K# actual trailer weight; I prefer 3:55:1 or lower (numerically higher) gearing for that duty.  That's a great ratio for unladen mileage, less so for towing in my opinion.

FWIW I currently tow an Escape 5.0 - Escape Trailer with my 2005 F150 (5.4l, 3.73:1 axle); that truck was originally spec'd for towing ~7,000# gooseneck ag trailers and it met that challenge comfortably.  My on-order 2022 F150 is spec'd with the 3.5EB and 3.55:1 ratio for comfortable and relaxed towing of that 5,500# GTWR 5th wheel RV.  Remember 'fivers' present a lot more frontal area for wind resistance than similar weight bumper-pull trailers.

Just for your consideration, YMMV 

Edited by FordEscape

Keep this in mind as you read responses; F150's up to and including model year 2014 are significantly different than 2015 and up models due to the change to aluminum body's.  Something happened to the handling characteristics starting in 2015 that negatively impacted towing stability and comfort.

I towed a camper with my 2015 F150 Super Crew Short Bed with the 3.5L Ecoboost and 3:31 gears up until I picked up my F250 last week.  My camper is about 7,500 lbs. with a 925 lb. tongue weight using an Eaz-Lift Trekker Weight Distribution hitch.  The F150 has PLENTY of power and towing capability.  However, it seriously lacks STABILITY.  Without upgrading the suspension and tires, I strongly discourage towing anything over 5,000 - 7,000 pounds.  I had a Max Tow package with a cargo capacity (from the yellow and white sticker on the driver's door frame) of 2,423 lbs.  That number is important because that is the combined maximum weight of all loads placed on or in the truck; people, fuel, pets, hitch weight, any accessories added after it left the factory, tongue weight, etc.  I added Load Range E tires, Timbren's and a Helwig Sway Bar just to safely tow my camper.

As an example; start with your cargo capacity from the door sticker (I would guess yours to be in the 1,700 lb. to 1,900 lb. range).  Again, mine was 2,423 lbs. so we can use mine as an example.  From 2,423 lbs, deduct the weight of a full tank of fuel, two adults, one child, two dogs and added truck accessories for a total of 942 lbs. leaving us 1,481 lbs.  from that, deduct the weight of the weight distribution hitch of 100 lbs.  leaving us 1,381 lbs.  From that, deduct 925 lbs tongue weight leaving us a margin of 556 lbs. for an extra kid, or a safety margin.  That margin evaporates if you have a lower cargo capacity.  Even worse with a 5th wheel hitch at 500 lbs. or so.  

Can the truck do it?  Yes, mine did it quite well after spending a lot of money in upgrades.  Should you?  not really, but in the end it is up to you (or your son) what your/his risk tolerance is.          

2 hours ago, NH_Bulldog said:

From 2,423 lbs, deduct the weight of a full tank of fuel, ....

With all due respect please note that on the yellow and red "Tire and Load Information" sticker, the number shown for "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx kg or xxxx lbs" already assumes a full tank of fuel and all other liquids required for normal vehicle operation.

That's per DOT / FMVSS regulations for the information on that statutory sticker and is correct for whatever size fuel tank was original equipment for the specific VIN.

IOW, you should not deduct the weight of fuel from the value indicated to determine your remaining available 'payload'.

Your point that any and all non-factory equipment installed or carried on the truck, as well as tongue or 5th wheel pin weight borne by the truck, should be deducted from that value is a valid one, IMO.

Edited by FordEscape

19 hours ago, FordEscape said:

My suggestion is that you review the applicable 2019 towing guide specs for your Lariat and its specific options to see what its various tow-ratings actually are.  There's more than just engine and axle ratio in play to determine this.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2019_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

My experience with F150's, having used many to tow a wide range of utility and RV loads over the decades, is that they can consistently tow adequately up to the published rated limits but keeping loads below the maximums provides better performance and a more relaxed (enjoyable) towing experience.  IOW, when you tow 'at the limits' it feels like you're 'at the limits' and that's not so desirable in my experience.

I suspect that the 3.31:1 axle ratio will yield adequate but less than desirable performance at launch and on grades with a 10K# actual trailer weight; I prefer 3:55:1 or lower (numerically higher) gearing for that duty.  That's a great ratio for unladen mileage, less so for towing in my opinion.

FWIW I currently tow an Escape 5.0 - Escape Trailer with my 2005 F150 (5.4l, 3.73:1 axle); that truck was originally spec'd for towing ~7,000# gooseneck ag trailers and it met that challenge comfortably.  My on-order 2022 F150 is spec'd with the 3.5EB and 3.55:1 ratio for comfortable and relaxed towing of that 5,500# GTWR 5th wheel RV.  Remember 'fivers' present a lot more frontal area for wind resistance than similar weight bumper-pull trailers.

Just for your consideration, YMMV 

Thank you for you input. When I leased the vehicle, I didn’t have towing in mind and it was actually a filler until we decided what we wanted to do as far as campers go. I’ve since ordered a Super Duty as were planning on going to a 5th wheel. If my son takes this truck, I’m going to try and convince home to stay under 8k.

9 hours ago, NH_Bulldog said:

Keep this in mind as you read responses; F150's up to and including model year 2014 are significantly different than 2015 and up models due to the change to aluminum body's.  Something happened to the handling characteristics starting in 2015 that negatively impacted towing stability and comfort.

I towed a camper with my 2015 F150 Super Crew Short Bed with the 3.5L Ecoboost and 3:31 gears up until I picked up my F250 last week.  My camper is about 7,500 lbs. with a 925 lb. tongue weight using an Eaz-Lift Trekker Weight Distribution hitch.  The F150 has PLENTY of power and towing capability.  However, it seriously lacks STABILITY.  Without upgrading the suspension and tires, I strongly discourage towing anything over 5,000 - 7,000 pounds.  I had a Max Tow package with a cargo capacity (from the yellow and white sticker on the driver's door frame) of 2,423 lbs.  That number is important because that is the combined maximum weight of all loads placed on or in the truck; people, fuel, pets, hitch weight, any accessories added after it left the factory, tongue weight, etc.  I added Load Range E tires, Timbren's and a Helwig Sway Bar just to safely tow my camper.

As an example; start with your cargo capacity from the door sticker (I would guess yours to be in the 1,700 lb. to 1,900 lb. range).  Again, mine was 2,423 lbs. so we can use mine as an example.  From 2,423 lbs, deduct the weight of a full tank of fuel, two adults, one child, two dogs and added truck accessories for a total of 942 lbs. leaving us 1,481 lbs.  from that, deduct the weight of the weight distribution hitch of 100 lbs.  leaving us 1,381 lbs.  From that, deduct 925 lbs tongue weight leaving us a margin of 556 lbs. for an extra kid, or a safety margin.  That margin evaporates if you have a lower cargo capacity.  Even worse with a 5th wheel hitch at 500 lbs. or so.  

Can the truck do it?  Yes, mine did it quite well after spending a lot of money in upgrades.  Should you?  not really, but in the end it is up to you (or your son) what your/his risk tolerance is.          

Thank you for your response. Personally, I wouldn’t think of going to the max rated towing as I like a good cushion. I will try to convince my sons to stick to around 8k max. I don’t want him to sink a lot of money into upgrades.