Previous Truck with AS vs New Truck without

rlp450

Sound similar to my ‘19 f250 with AS but my tire pressures on the 20” Michelins were significantly different. I ran 60 in the fronts and 65 in the rears. I cannot attest to it but am very confident that this was the nameplate pressures per my sticker. Truck never wandered at all and was a dream to drive

22 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

My tires are Michelin on 20" rims.  I lowered rear tire pressure from 80 to 70psi and the wandering is reduced a good bit, almost tolerable but my 2017 Platinum with same exact tires didn't wander at 80psi at all and was a dream and a pleasure to drive.

Sound similar to my ‘19 f250 with AS but my tire pressures on the 20” Michelins were significantly different. I ran 60 in the fronts and 65 in the rears. I cannot attest to it but am very confident that this was the nameplate pressures per my sticker. Truck never wandered at all and was a dream to drive

My 22 without AS drives better than my 19 with AS did.  I dont miss it.  my 19 on the interstate had a constant back and forth with the wheel to stay straight.  I had it aligned 10 times(im exaggerating here a bit) trying to get it to drive good.  also look up youtube videos for when AS fails.  

On 5/7/2022 at 6:34 AM, tbone said:

I have a 22 without AS and it tends to wander, but it isn’t impact by acceleration or deceleration.   It pretty much does it all the time so I have to pay closer attention while driving this truck. It’s a bit annoying and we have now named the truck The Wanderer.  

Ours has a very light feel to the front end as far as steering ... easy to wander ... caster off???

17 hours ago, Mefly2 said:

Ours has a very light feel to the front end as far as steering ... easy to wander ... caster off???

Thats the general feeling I get when driving it.  It does feel like light castering to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 8:34 PM, 787Toolman said:

I have more details to add to my truck's steering performance.  To be clear, my 2022 was ordered without adaptive steering (AS).  When I'm driving my new truck on the interstate at highway speed like 70 with cruise control set, the truck has no serious pull or bias to go one way or the other, tracks fairly strait on straight sections of highway.  However, if I'm say in the middle lane of three lanes and I take my hands off the steering wheel and touch cancel on my cruise control on LHS of steering wheel, the truck will auto steer to the right and in 2-3 seconds I'm in the right lane and heading for the ditch.  If I accelerate instead of tapping cruise cancel, it pulls to the left and in 2-3 seconds I'm in the left lane and if I don't make a correction, I'd be in the left ditch.  I can then steer back to the middle lane, set cruise and it will track fairly straight.  Dealer verified alignment is within factory specs on all four wheels, tire pressures are all correct, 60psi front and 80 psi rear.  I have about 350 miles on truck, no modifications.  Also, when I accelerate and it pulls to the left, then when I decelerate, it pulls to the right.  My 2017 F350 with AS never behaved this way, my 2022 King Ranch is basically exact same truck less trim difference but that is inconsequential.  I've checked brake caliper drag; all wheels have about same amount when lifted off ground.  Steering gearbox backlash was checked by dealer, it's within spec.  I'm going to order a 2023 with AS when order bank opens and just wait.

Does anyone care to comment if you've seen this behavior before?  Anyone else with a new truck without AS have any steering issues they've noticed?

Thanks...

Take it to a real alignment shop that will listen to your concerns. Factory specs are not necessary ok for each vehicle. Solid axle trucks especially. A real shop (one that specializes in alignments) can do different things to make your truck drive like it should. 

All these trucks with death wobble haven’t been fixed by Ford either. They just throw a new drag link on it and call it good. Just because they’re in spec, doesn’t mean much if it drives like crap

22 hours ago, art_vandelay said:

Take it to a real alignment shop that will listen to your concerns. Factory specs are not necessary ok for each vehicle. Solid axle trucks especially. A real shop (one that specializes in alignments) can do different things to make your truck drive like it should. 

All these trucks with death wobble haven’t been fixed by Ford either. They just throw a new drag link on it and call it good. Just because they’re in spec, doesn’t mean much if it drives like crap

thanks, I may just do that...problem is I'll have to pay for that service and if it doesn't fix it, well then at least I'll have a second opinion.  I can't imagine it costing more than a few hundred dollars, that's worth something.  I'm still going to order a 2023 when available and just wait for a truck with AS, I think that system makes a ton of adjustments during high speed travel, not just at low speed according to what I read about how the system actually works.  My 2017 never had a single steering issue and I got spoiled with the super quick turns going slow like below 15mph and turning into a street or in parking lots.  AS is so much better IMHO.

I had AS on my 17. My 21 didn’t have it and I couldn’t tell any difference. There was no way I was willing to pay a premium for what I see as a worthless option so I didn’t order it on my current truck either (2022).

Edited by 4x4ord

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2022 at 5:02 AM, rlp450 said:

Looking for observations from those whose previous SD had Adaptive Steering but there new truck does not. Can you tell a difference? If so, what kind of difference and do you miss it? My current 19 F450 has it but my ordered F350 doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Wondering the same thing.  I honestly never noticed the AS on my 2019 SD Lariat.  My 2022 KR is only a few days away from delivery and will have to test it out myself once it gets here, I suppose.

50 minutes ago, dotsson said:

Wondering the same thing.  I honestly never noticed the AS on my 2019 SD Lariat.  My 2022 KR is only a few days away from delivery and will have to test it out myself once it gets here, I suppose.

There have been numerous posts with experiences and opinions on vehicles with/without AS.