Another sketchy dealer

ERNIE65

I ordered my F350 Lariat end of October under the X Plan. I was told like many other that they could not view the X Plan to give me actual invoice pricing but did get an "invoice" price. Through many conversations with salesman on things from changing options to price protection and his lies I am now getting more lies. Pickup was built 4/01 and is in the delivery mode now. I thought it would be a good time to secure financing and have everything in place when it shows up to avoid any problems and spend as little time in the dealership as possible. When they sent me the invoice it showed the X Plan price but abut $2200 more then what it was in October. When I challenged the salesman on the price he said that Ford had changed the X Plan pricing in the middle of my order and that I would have to pay that price and wait for a check from Ford for the difference in 4-6 weeks. He said he did not know what that dollar amount would be and no way of knowing. I again challenged him on price protection and he said it was price protected under the new price?? I explained that my understanding was that any difference in price was between them and Ford, not me.  I am ready to completely call him out unless someone can confirm that Ford changes X Plan during this time. I just would not believe that a business would sell you something and tell you we don't know what the price is yet. Any help appreciated as always!

17 minutes ago, NH_Bulldog said:

When I was shopping, X-Plan was $3,182 less than sticker on my build.  Dealer would not give me X-Plan and said I had to pay sticker.....until I pulled out my PCO for $3,000. so I got it back close to X-plan in the end.

You can combine plan pricing with PCO though...

26 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

You can combine plan pricing with PCO though...

X-Plan is the only one that can be stacked with a PCO.  But of all the dealers I contacted with 200 miles of me, not a single one would work with X-plan "due to high product demand" (which really means; we want to get as much money out of you as we can legally get away with).  I also tried my $500 First Responder discount, but Ford said no to that.  In the end, I was happy to get the exact truck I wanted, for a decent price (they gave me crazy money on my trade), and it all happened in only 3 weeks from the day I found it and put a deposit on it to the day it was delivered.  I really can't complain 

Edited by NH_Bulldog

16 minutes ago, NH_Bulldog said:

But of all the dealers I contacted with 200 miles of me, not a single one would work with X-plan "due to high product demand" (which really means; we want to get as much money out of you as we can legally get away with).  I was happy to get the exact truck I wanted, for a decent price (they gave me crazy money on my trade), and in only 3 weeks from the day I found it and put a deposit on it to the day it was delivered.  I really can't complain 

Gotcha!

To my best understanding, a regular sales person does not typically have access to or understanding of A/X/D plan pricing or the forms to submit them. (Particularly with regards to price protection/exceptions)

It sounds to me like you need to talk to the Sales Manager / General Manager and get clarification. 

Doesn't sound like he's denying your price protection, he's just saying they're not going to float the cash to you to reduce the price -- you'll have to pay up front and get a refund from Ford on it. Just me, personally, I'd be very happy with that arrangement.

Edited by gom

Yes I think I would be alright with that if he could tell me what that dollar amount would be. It seems like he should be able to at least find that out. I would certainly feel better about it. It is just disappointing to think everything is above board until the deal is ready to get done. Frustrating.

1 hour ago, ERNIE65 said:

Yes I think I would be alright with that if he could tell me what that dollar amount would be. It seems like he should be able to at least find that out. I would certainly feel better about it. It is just disappointing to think everything is above board until the deal is ready to get done. Frustrating.

Again, I'm speaking purely off what 'I think I know' from reading forums here -- but I don't think most regular sales staff have access to those numbers.

I'd just call and ask for the SM/GM and talk to them. They can be hard to get ahold of but generally, again just from what I've gleaned off forums, it seems like the vast majority are happy to provide information and good to work with. 

The issue you are experiencing, which at least seems to me to just be a sales person who doesn't know better, is far and away the most common. Most all of those seem to me to end up resolved when the buyer talks to the SM/GM.

They can be tough to get ahold of sometimes, for sure, though.

4 hours ago, ERNIE65 said:

I ordered my F350 Lariat end of October under the X Plan. I was told like many other that they could not view the X Plan to give me actual invoice pricing but did get an "invoice" price. Through many conversations with salesman on things from changing options to price protection and his lies I am now getting more lies. Pickup was built 4/01 and is in the delivery mode now. I thought it would be a good time to secure financing and have everything in place when it shows up to avoid any problems and spend as little time in the dealership as possible. When they sent me the invoice it showed the X Plan price but abut $2200 more then what it was in October. When I challenged the salesman on the price he said that Ford had changed the X Plan pricing in the middle of my order and that I would have to pay that price and wait for a check from Ford for the difference in 4-6 weeks. He said he did not know what that dollar amount would be and no way of knowing. I again challenged him on price protection and he said it was price protected under the new price?? I explained that my understanding was that any difference in price was between them and Ford, not me.  I am ready to completely call him out unless someone can confirm that Ford changes X Plan during this time. I just would not believe that a business would sell you something and tell you we don't know what the price is yet. Any help appreciated as always!

The check in 4-6 weeks IS how price protection works.  Ford prints off the invoice at the current price and then the difference is given either to the dealer or to the customer in about a month or so.  He doesn't have anything to base the refunded dollar amount other than the difference between the x-plan then (on order), and the x-plan now.  If he didn't have x-plan on your truck then (on order), he can't figure it out.  Or at least not easily.  It's possible, but having Ford mail you the check is one of the very acceptable options and leaves the dealers math skills out of the equation.  In this case, he is giving you the straight poop.

Currently the X-Plan is invoice - 0.04% + $275 program fee. The dealer is suppose to show you their invoice with transparency on the actual numbers.

• The dealer is required to provide you with a true copy of the factory invoice showing the Partner Recognition price on the line labeled X-Plan. You should also receive a complete and signed AXZD-Plan Pricing Agreement showing each item and its price.  Do not sign this form if it is blank or if you do not understand how the price was calculated.  All added items must be documented on this form, including negative equity on trade, and gifts. 

• The X-Plan price is the amount shown in the box labeled "X-Plan" near the bottom of the factory invoice. The New Vehicle Purchase Program price includes advertising, finance costs, transportation, fuel charges and Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company administrative fees. The dealership may not charge extra for these items.

• The New Vehicle Purchase Program customer is entitled to the price in effect at the time the vehicle was invoiced. Any money refunded to the dealer by Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company for price increases occurring after the order is submitted, but before shipment to the dealer, must be refunded to the customer. 

I just took over an existing custom order for an F150 KR that was placed in OCT 2021. The original customer decided to bail. The dealer is using current pricing for my assumption of the order and I'm OK with that. Unfortunately, the dealer said that Ford would not give me the $1000 new order incentive since their order number was already in the Ford system. My taking the order over did not constitute a new order. I have the dealers dated order summary sheet and the GM's signature that this would be an X-plan purchase. I was told that they would not require my PIN until I did the paperwork when the truck arrived. It should be a straight forward transaction.

6 hours ago, ERNIE65 said:

X plan is a percentage off of MSRP. So if the MSRP went up so did the X plan price. When I ordered my truck in Feb I told the dealer I want the X Plan price shown on the invoice that I was gonna sign. He at first stated that he had no way of getting that price shown on the build invoice but I had seen another invoice with it listed at the bottom so I knew it was possible. He said he would ask his manager and try to find out how to do it. A few hours later he called and said they had it figure. The invoice that he sent me to sign had the msrp of the truck as well as the X plan price listed. It can be done. 

EF83128F-8031-4776-9D2C-EEF9AA2F8F1F.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirbdog44 said:

X plan is a percentage off of MSRP. 

Not exactly.  The formula above is correct.  Invoice minus 0.4% plus $275.  You’re right that all prices go up at the same time.  But not necessarily by the same amount or percentage.

OK thanks all. I guess I am not exactly sure how to respond to sales person.. are all of you saying that he is correct in what he is saying? akirby is this a common practice is my question. I am meeting with the sale person, sales manager and GM tomorrow to discuss this. I am just needing confirmation that this is in fact the correct process. Like I said my issue is with the price on the sales order at the time of order compared to the price he is invoicing me now and maybe not understanding price protection.

Thanks again for all you guys do!

Lee2021 sounds like everything is above board. I appreciate your comments. It does line up with what he is saying but there has been a few things he has told me that have not been true. I am just trying to verify before I ink the deal.  He keeps telling me not to read these forums but what I have found is that this is where you find the truth. Again thanks for all you guys do on this platform!!

18 minutes ago, ERNIE65 said:

Lee2021 sounds like everything is above board. I appreciate your comments. It does line up with what he is saying but there has been a few things he has told me that have not been true. I am just trying to verify before I ink the deal.  He keeps telling me not to read these forums but what I have found is that this is where you find the truth. Again thanks for all you guys do on this platform!!

"Don't read the internet" (said dripping with disgust) is what many say, including mine 4 years ago.  My dealer 4 years ago ordered my ST after the orders had been cut off.  For whatever reason, the ford system didn't warn him.  Took me 1.5 months to convince him to ask his ford rep and that he needed to find a car in inventory somewhere - which he did!  I actually gave him a picture I got off of blueovalforums of the last Focus off of the line from an employee.  Why is this forum such a threat?  Well, I can answer that......

Read the x plan pricing agreement, like this paragraph:  

image.png.004e43564818c5831191989293e7ce65.png

and then the pricing agreement:

image.png.6958581578708ee3cfcfc202b4b8ca3b.png

See where the Ford document says "Dealer may mail check to customer"?

You are good.

30 minutes ago, ERNIE65 said:

I mentioned these files, but didn't attach them.  I'll fix that here.  You can also google them..

fordpartner_rules x plan.pdf

AXZD-PlanPricingAgreement.pdf

On 4/22/2022 at 12:43 PM, NH_Bulldog said:

When I was shopping, X-Plan was $3,182 less than sticker on my build.  Dealer would not give me X-Plan and said I had to pay sticker.....until I pulled out my PCO for $3,000. so I got it back close to X-plan in the end.

You should've walked.  Too many dealers are willing to give deals to tolerate the ones that won't.  

Buddy of mine leveraged Grangers offer to get invoice -3% but not until they knew he was dead serious about it.  GM finally came out and agreed.  

I had no problem with the dealer on my work x-plan on my new SD. I have been dealing with this same salesman and dealership since the mid 90's so there is a good positive history in that. I still went out for pricing to a couple of other dealers one was a couple of grand higher all in( so within reason) and the one 5 mins from my house  tried to bend me over thinking they were in some command seat protected market and had no competition ( that's quite a story in its itself). The company I work for spends quite a few millions on 250 and cab& chassis 350,450's 4x4's for remote site service trucks when Its time to start switching out the fleet. If that makes a difference or not I can't tell ya but I was more than happy with my final pricing once my truck arrived.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:46 PM, MAFFS89 said:

You should've walked.  Too many dealers are willing to give deals to tolerate the ones that won't.  

Buddy of mine leveraged Grangers offer to get invoice -3% but not until they knew he was dead serious about it.  GM finally came out and agreed.  

I tried to get 5-6 dealers to get within $1000 of my price from Granger to keep from having to fly up and drive 800 miles home.  None were willing, and I had 2 hang up on my when I told them the Granger price.  

I decided it was not worth the effort to get it matched, and ordered from Granger.  My wife and I are thinking of it as a weekend get away, and by the time we get back the truck will be broken in, and ready to tow a camper.

• Like 1