RE automatic Nav updates on wife's 2022 Nautilus

Keep reading about some automatic updates. How does it do that? No SD chip port I can see. So it must do it another way. Thru paired phone, thru the Lincoln app, thru some inbedded modem, etc. Not much in owners manual about this, or on the online info screen in car. Also can't find any info about a maintenance schedule, although I don't really need one. Am I missing some documents or small booklets? Nothing in printed owner manual about this. Can't find it on screen. Thanks

Yes....Sync 4. My previous 2012 Limited Edge had a lower level of Sync, for which I had to buy map updates every few years and installed thru a small SD chip port. Guess tech has improved in 10 years LOL

So you are saying, in addition to any updates for the CPU, my maps will periodically get updated with new roads, etc? Great! Am capable of using my phone for Nav if necessary, but love that big screen on the dash. Am liking this new Nautilus more and more. Thanks for info!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ralph Greene said:

Yes....Sync 4. My previous 2012 Limited Edge had a lower level of Sync, for which I had to buy map updates every few years and installed thru a small SD chip port. Guess tech has improved in 10 years LOL

So you are saying, in addition to any updates for the CPU, my maps will periodically get updated with new roads, etc? Great! Am capable of using my phone for Nav if necessary, but love that big screen on the dash. Am liking this new Nautilus more and more. Thanks for info!

That is my understanding. Well, now I see this video. Apparently the updates come over the air but to install, the vehicle needs to be turned off and connected to wifi. Hmmm. A bit different than I initially thought. 

https://fordauthority.com/2020/12/how-to-use-over-the-air-updates-in-the-2021-ford-f-150-video/

If you haven't gone to the Lincoln site and pulled up your Vehicle Dashboard, you should do so.  It is getting better and better each year.  This is the information I copied from my Ford page regarding Navigation.  I have Sync 4A so this is probably like the Nautilus. 

image.thumb.png.1d6791bd8362bb68bcdb887660e09297.png

• Like 1

It asked me to connect to my home wifi system and schedule a time for updates. Which I did. But I'm not sure they are talking about map updates. I got 3 years of free connected services with the purchase of the vehicle, services I'm not particularly interested in. Fuel prices, restaurants ahead, hotels ahead, stuff like that. Not interested in using my phone as a key either. Car has so many ways to open doors now....having fob in pocket and touching handle, etc. Have spent a lot of time in car sitting in garage going thru the owners manual on the dash. I'm thinking I'll still have to pay for map updates out in the future. I know I can project phone to screen etc. I wonder if I'm missing a booklet from sales team about how all this works. 

Edited by Ralph Greene

20 hours ago, wrlandis said:

If you haven't gone to the Lincoln site and pulled up your Vehicle Dashboard, you should do so.  It is getting better and better each year.  This is the information I copied from my Ford page regarding Navigation.  I have Sync 4A so this is probably like the Nautilus. 

image.thumb.png.1d6791bd8362bb68bcdb887660e09297.png

I have looked at my Dashboard many times. While it is better than 2 years ago, I have nothing even remotely close to that right there. Basically, it lists the features in my car with no detail whatsoever. 

Edit: Well, whaddayaknow, I kept poking around and found that exact write-up, just in a real pretty Lincoln format. Nice to know, but, again, not detailed in explaining all the features in the vehicle. 

Edited by Black Label

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Why don’t you like phone as a key?  Don’t you always have your phone with you?

I know you weren't asking me, but PAAK is great for the remote features. However, the connectivity to the vehicle bluetooth is so hit or miss that not carrying a fob will likely end up with entering your backup passcode to start your vehicle quite frequently. Also, you will get tired of the "No Key Detected" messages. I have called the app support folks so many times and had them help me revoke my PAAK and reinstall. It's always the same. 

I was hoping that would be better with the 2022, but so far it isn't. 

I'm a reasonably competent computer literate 80 year old. But haven't yet figured out why using my phone as a key is beneficial to me. And I don't think of myself as a retro grouch. I embrace most new tech, buy it, etc. I use my I phone for lots of things, investments, communications, etc. And the Lincoln Way site won't let me in. I've used old sign ins from years ago. Tried Ford.com. Tried to reset password. Have tried to start over with sigh in and password. it keeps saying "something not right". I give up for a while. 

Edited by Ralph Greene

24 minutes ago, Ralph Greene said:

I'm a reasonably competent computer literate 80 year old. But haven't yet figured out why using my phone as a key is beneficial to me. And I don't think of myself as a retro grouch. I embrace most new tech, buy it, etc. I use my I phone for lots of things, investments, communications, etc. And the Lincoln Way site won't let me in. I've used old sign ins from years ago. Tried Ford.com. Tried to reset password. Have tried to start over with sigh in and password. it keeps saying "something not right". I give up for a while. 

It is great for remote starting, that is really about it. 

2 hours ago, Black Label said:

I know you weren't asking me, but PAAK is great for the remote features. However, the connectivity to the vehicle bluetooth is so hit or miss that not carrying a fob will likely end up with entering your backup passcode to start your vehicle quite frequently. Also, you will get tired of the "No Key Detected" messages. I have called the app support folks so many times and had them help me revoke my PAAK and reinstall. It's always the same. 

I was hoping that would be better with the 2022, but so far it isn't. 

Well that would be a PITA for sure.  I hope it works better than that on our Nautilus if and when we get it.

Edited by akirby
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Ralph Greene said:

I'm a reasonably competent computer literate 80 year old. But haven't yet figured out why using my phone as a key is beneficial to me.

The benefit (if it works) is not needing to find or carry a key with you.  You already have the phone in your pocket.  Get in push the button and you’re off.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

The benefit (if it works) is not needing to find or carry a key with you.  You already have the phone in your pocket.  Get in push the button and you’re off.

Agreed, IF it worked all the time, or even 90% of the time. Just not reliable, at least in the Navigator.