F250 7.3 gas milage question

BBQMAN

Good morning, first post here! Just received my 2022 F250 7.3  Lariat, I was previously in at 2016 6.2. I tow a 10,000 pound trailer for business. Truck has very few miles on it, my question is on gas mileage. I'm getting maybe 8 MPG in city driving (not towing) without having my foot in it. My research showed that the mileage should be higher, and not much worse than my older 6.2. Obviously that's not the case. I didn't purchase the vehicle for it's fuel efficiency lol, but expected better mileage. What are you getting?

I have a 2022 F250 with the 7.3L and 3.55’s.  We get 14 mpg running around, idling in line at school twice a day to drop off and pick up our daughter, etc.  For Easter we did a roadtrip to visit family.  It was 150 miles each way, mix of highway and secondary roads and we got 16 mpg and we do not baby it.  

Are your hubs in Lock or Auto?

Edited by NH_Bulldog
  • Like 1

I would double check the hub selectors, don’t assume they are in Auto position.

At the risk of stating the obvious, your front hubs can be rotated into Auto or Lock position.  Lock will keep everything engaged all the time and kill your mileage.  Auto means it is disengaged until you turn the 4x4 dial on your dash.

30D4F334-5298-4847-A1BC-518E14AE72F2.jpeg

Edited by NH_Bulldog
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BBQMAN said:

...Truck has very few miles on it... 

More detail?

Don't have much reference as I just hit 100 miles.  My needle didn't move much past 10mpg but it makes sense given the truck likely only idled around the dealer & then I drove it straight uphill 3000' via interstate.  I reset the second trip meter today & seem to be floating between 13-15 for "around town" but again, not much flat around here.  Also, I've no idea what fuel is currently in the tank. 

(7.3 F250 3.55) 

Received my F250 Thursday 4/21 with 2.3 miles on the odometer a little over 300 miles now of mostly city driving at 1 mile elevation. Plus a run up to the mountains to visit family interstate and mountain road at 7500ft. It is at 13mpg and slowly climbing still on my first tank from the dealer. CC SB 4x4. 7.3 W/4.30

Edited by NM04Ford
  • Like 1

I have a 21 7.3 with 3:55 and running 87 octane and drive conservatively. I go speed limit on Interstate or up to 5 over if traffic flow is consistent. I get around 17.5 driving 165 miles (one way) back and forth to my property in the ADK. Combined 10 miles to town around doing errands and back 16.5 this is mostly flat. Towing depends on direction and location 8-9 mpg usually higher Octane 8K TT. 

• Like 2

My truck is a supercab f250 4x4 7.3, 3.55.  I too am disappointed in the mpg.  I generally drive mostly rural roads, shorter trips, and a 50/50 mix of light towing and driving empty.  My tanks are averaging between 9 and 10 mpg.  If you get it on the highway cruising for hours, going the speed limit, it will get high 15's.  On a cross-country trip towing a 17' aluminum enclosed trailer with one atv in it, I was averaging 8 mpg, driving easy with a strong headwind most of the way. It did get as low as 7 on that trip. This is about the same, or only very slightly better than my 2006 with 5.4 engine.   I love the power of the new truck, but I'm not coming close to what others are reporting for mpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kory04 said:

My truck is a supercab f250 4x4 7.3, 3.55.  I too am disappointed in the mpg.  I generally drive mostly rural roads, shorter trips, and a 50/50 mix of light towing and driving empty.  My tanks are averaging between 9 and 10 mpg.  If you get it on the highway cruising for hours, going the speed limit, it will get high 15's.  On a cross-country trip towing a 17' aluminum enclosed trailer with one atv in it, I was averaging 8 mpg, driving easy with a strong headwind most of the way. It did get as low as 7 on that trip. This is about the same, or only very slightly better than my 2006 with 5.4 engine.   I love the power of the new truck, but I'm not coming close to what others are reporting for mpg

Same thanks Kory

On 4/24/2022 at 8:04 PM, d232799 said:

My F350 King has the 7.3 (love it)  the 4.3 rear end,   4x4,   but I'm getting like 10.5 or so in town,  13.5 on trips at 70mph.  Its got a total of 4500 miles from Aug 2021.  I don't see 15 or 16 at all.

That is about what I see at 70...but I do get 15 -15.5 but I get that at 60-65 and am easy on it to get that on flat land with no stop and go. Just clicked 5k

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 3:37 PM, BBQMAN said:

Should be on Auto, it’s definitely in 2WD

My man, "should be" isn't checking your hubs like NH_Bulldog suggested you do. He even showed you a picture of what it is supposed to look like. Your dash buttons may be on 2WD, but if your hubs are locked it will be in 4WD. Just take a look at your hubs please. I am dying to know if that is the problem here. 

• Like 1

Trust me I'd know if my truck was in 4WD guys, and yes the hubs were in the correct position lol! My last Ford was exactly the same, it's one of the reasons why Fords are a better product- you can manually lock the hubs.

• Like 1

Today we towed our camper from NH to Central NY.  Up and over the mountains in Southern VT (hit some snow) and then West on I-90.  We had a real strong headwind right out of the west of 25+ mph.  Got to our destination and our milage was 7.4 mpg on 87 octane.  On the way home this weekend I am going to fill up with 91 octane and see if a tail wind or no wind makes any difference.

8A1CBB56-76D2-4812-9ED4-26AEEA7A93B7.jpeg

• Like 2

I too have a 2022 F250 Supercab 4X4 with 3.55s.  Just over 7K in mileage since new (12/3/21).  Overall I'm averaging 13.1 mpg.

Towing our 7,000 lb TT we get 10, around town 12-13 and just over 15 on just the highway.  I keep a mileage log for every fill up.

The truck shows cumulative mpg at 13.9 but as with every fill up calc it is about .8/mpg optimistic. I'm in Eco mode as much of the

time not towing.

Edited by Chino Tom
spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks Tom, I'm damn sure NOT getting those mileage figures lol! Same- in Eco mode most of the time. I tow a heavy trailer, not expecting great mileage there. Truck is literally new- 300 or so miles on it. I'm hoping the fuel consumption improves after the motor breaks in a bit?

About the same as others here.  I've got the 7.3, Crew, Short bed, 4.30 gears, right at 1,000 on the clock.  My first towing will be this weekend hopefully.  It's been WINDY AS HECK here and I've been seeing 12.7 or so with mixed driving.  Was hoping for a bit better but with the size and wind etc., still pretty happy.  My 12 Eco only got a couple better.  I'm also hoping that while towing I get better than the Eco did at 6-7.

We were doing better on our return trip from camping…..until I got on it to see what it would do on a series of long uphill pulls in the right lane passing cars that were in the fast lane but driving slow.  Overall very happy with the power, handling and responsiveness even when towing the camper.  Once I get over having so much fun with the new truck, I think I can see 9+ mpg towing which is where my 3.5L EcoBoost was.

53861DBD-0AEA-494F-BF48-4F6223EB7B19.jpeg

Edited by NH_Bulldog
  • Like 1