Wait for Order or Buy Used

Hey all,

In May I ordered a 2022 F250 King Ranch, 7.3, 4.30. I did not go for the ultimate package as I don't want the sunroof. I currently have a 2017 F250 XLT 6.2 with 3.73 gears. I run a 2.5" carli Pintop suspension system and 37s. It currently has 127k miles on it. Seems like it is still a total crap shoot on waiting. While I am not dying for a new truck, I do have a baby due in September and I plan to swap all my suspension wheel and tires etc over to the new truck myself then sell my old one.

Looking around Dallas where I live, there has been a noticeable tick down in the prices of diesels (not so much gassers for some reason) and now I am starting to see 6.7 DIESEL trucks with 50-100k miles for really reasonable prices. And even some lower trim trucks for much less. I have had a 2000 7.3 diesel and an 06 6.0 diesel so I am not afraid of it. Value for money and trim for trim, if I can get a reasonable mile 6.7 Lariat or King ranch for as much or even less than my ordered 22 7.3 is this something I should consider?

I don't need a diesel, but I do like a 3/4 ton not so much for towing but for payload. I have a deer lease and semi-regularly need to load a whole pallet of corn or protein in my bed. I tow periodically but rarely anything that even an f150 couldn't handle. I know the gas truck is better for payload but I do like the increased range of a diesel due to better mileage. I have heard all the "hold their value" arguments for diesels, and pound for pound you may sell a gas truck for less but you will also pay way less. That being said, the spread on gas and diesel truck right ow is tight and I am really considering this to be an opportunity to upgrade.

What are y'all's experience buying 6.7s with some miles and owning them out of warranty? Only thing that gives me trepidation is the CP4, I think they have done a ton to cure the early gen (11-4) issues like the valves and turbos. Should I just wait for my 2022 7.3 with 4.30s?

If you think you can get a better deal used, and don't mind used vehicles then it could make sense. I'll always advocate buying a diesel because I like the sound, smell, and torque. There's no getting around that owning and maintaining a diesel is going to more expensive, but in my opinion they're a lot more fun to own.

Ordering in May, and still waiting makes you an outlier likely by 2 standard deviations. Have you contacted Ford, there's gotta be a way to get that truck build considering the nearly 1 year wait.