Fender Flares - Yay or Nay?

On my 2010 F250, I had fender flares on it, never really thought about them at all, but as my truck has shipped, I started noticing a number of trucks without them and rusting on the metal over the wheels.

Got me to thinking about getting them added on once I get my truck.

Is this a good idea? And if so, are there recommended ones as well as ones to avoid?

TIA

10 hours ago, GrumpyFox said:

On my 2010 F250, I had fender flares on it, never really thought about them at all, but as my truck has shipped, I started noticing a number of trucks without them and rusting on the metal over the wheels.

Got me to thinking about getting them added on once I get my truck.

Is this a good idea? And if so, are there recommended ones as well as ones to avoid?

TIA

This is all personal opinion, however, I feel that some of these flares do a good (bad) job of holding sediment and water inside of them creating a heavy rust area underneath the actual flares. Although, these trucks are aluminum and shouldn't really be subject to rust on the body panels. The only thing I would say is that I've seen trucks with huge fender flares and tiny tires and I honestly just really don't like that look. However, the "black widow" trucks do a good job of putting the appropriate size wheels and tires underneath these flares and it does look pretty good. I'm personally not that big on the fender flares unless they are small, I am putting mud flaps on my truck to help prevent rock chips. Although, as I have said this is all my opinion and it is your very expensive truck so you should do what makes you happy and what you like!

I keep my trucks stock, so I'm a vote for no on aftermarket fender flares. If the tires aren't big enough to need them I think they look goofy.

Maybe I'm biased though because a stock 450 has some gnarly cool looking fender flares on them.

Edited by Dr-Bear-PhD

17 hours ago, tcritch3 said:

My MIL got her wheels/tires put on today, I think it looks awesome! 35x12.5/R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with 20x10 -18 Fuel Vapor wheels. Side lighted emblems are next!

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

Nice set up! I've got the same set up but 20x9 Vapors and 35.11.5 tires. Mine don't stick out quite as much, almost none in the rear, but about a 1/4" in the front. I've been debating adding some flares.  

What kind of gas mileage is she getting with that set up? Mine has not been great...

33 minutes ago, ChuckDiesel said:

Nice set up! I've got the same set up but 20x9 Vapors and 35.11.5 tires. Mine don't stick out quite as much, almost none in the rear, but about a 1/4" in the front. I've been debating adding some flares.  

What kind of gas mileage is she getting with that set up? Mine has not been great...

Time will tell, she's still trying to get to 1000 miles so she can do some towing. I really like the vapor wheels. Throw some pics of your setup on here, I would be curious to see it. I don't think I will add flares to mine but I do like the 20x9 +1 offset look a lot.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:58 AM, tcritch3 said:

Time will tell, she's still trying to get to 1000 miles so she can do some towing. I really like the vapor wheels. Throw some pics of your setup on here, I would be curious to see it. I don't think I will add flares to mine but I do like the 20x9 +1 offset look a lot.

Here's a pic, not the best pic. I'll try to get a better one. Front sticks out maybe 1/8 to 1/4", rear is pretty flush. Wheels are 20x9 with +2 offset, tires are 35x11.5. I really like the look of the wheel and tire combo. Currently have a 2" rough country level kit on it with a Tremor valance/air dam. I've been considering dropping the front half an inch or so, it's pretty level as is.

Truck.jpg

• Like 1