Ford's definition of "available"?

Anybody able to help me understand this...

I've been looking at different options for my next truck that Ford claims is available in their promotional materials. But two different builds have had combos that are unavailable to the dealers to quote. 

Current F150 build

4x2 Reg Cab Short Box with the 5.0L & 3.73 axle.

Previous build

XL Powerboost with Max tow package. 

Am I wrong in thinking that "available" means something that I could actually purchase?

I vaguely remember reading something about fleet orders having more flexibility in options but that all seems locked beyond some magical fleet buyer paywall.

Available doesn’t mean it’s available in every combination.  The order guide tells you exactly what options are available.  Follow the link at the top of the page.

In your first example the 3.73 is only available with max trailer tow or heavy duty payload packages.  Read the order guide.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Available doesn’t mean it’s available in every combination.  The order guide tells you exactly what options are available.  Follow the link at the top of the page.

In your first example the 3.73 is only available with max trailer tow or heavy duty payload packages.  Read the order guide.

Thanks for the partial answer (genuinely, not being sarcastic). I had never been all the way to page 42 of the order guide before. 

Looking at it the 4x4 is probably more what I need as far as capability. Plus no hoops to find out and then jump through.

Still curios how they claim that the 4x2 RCSB can come with the 3.73 & 5.0 in the "trailer and towing guide" but not let anyone actually buy it. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The order guide says it’s available with heavy duty payload or tow package so that’s why it’s in the tow guide.  Did the dealer try to order it or are you just going by the build and price tool?  B&P might be wrong.

Correct, the order guide says that it's available with HDPP & Max Tow. The issue is those are NOT available in my bed & Cab configuration. Yet the tow guide still says that 3.73 should be possible to the point they calculated the max towing capacity of the configuration. 

8 hours ago, flimflamshazam said:

Correct, the order guide says that it's available with HDPP & Max Tow. The issue is those are NOT available in my bed & Cab configuration. Yet the tow guide still says that 3.73 should be possible to the point they calculated the max towing capacity of the configuration. 

I see now.  In that case I would say the tow guide is covering all possible combinations since Ford could change the available combinations at any time and that way they don’t have to change the tow guide.  But yes it is confusing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

I see now.  In that case I would say the tow guide is covering all possible combinations since Ford could change the available combinations at any time and that way they don’t have to change the tow guide.  But yes it is confusing.

Agreed. Obviously, the order guides are updated on a regular basis but the Tow Guide is only published once a year. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

17 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Agreed. Obviously, the order guides are updated on a regular basis but the Tow Guide is only published once a year. 

Got it. Thanks for helping clear that up! I appreciate the time it took to help me understand.