Comparing Elon Musk with Henry Ford

Am I the only one that sees the similarities between Henry Ford and Elon Musk?

Started a car company from scratch and innovates as it grows...

Has a "flight" division (Ford Tri-Motor planes to Spacex rockets)

Control of media (Ford buys and prints "The Dearborn Independent" whereas Musk buys and "prints" Twitter)

Both Henry and Elon are seen as both genius and eccentric at the same time

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Control of media (Ford buys and prints "The Dearborn Independent" whereas Musk buys and "prints" Twitter)

They both became bat shit crazy as they aged. Both visionary, but very flawed. I read Musk's biography, and he was horribly bullied at his South African high school. Growing up in South Africa was probably problematic for him. I also read the biography of Henry, and he sure was downright evil at times. His prejudices sure became more extreme as he aged. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, twintornados said:

He didn't start Tesla.  He invested in it and scaled it when he took over after kicking out the founders of the company.

"Founded in July 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning as Tesla Motors, the company's name is a tribute to inventor and electrical engineer Nikola Tesla. In February 2004, via a $6.5 million investment, Elon Musk became the largest shareholder of the company. He has served as CEO since 2008."

11 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Joseph Antonini and Jack Welch also had Musk tendencies. Overly leveraged the core company, diversified to the point they lost focus what the core business was and why people believed in it. 

"Neutron Jack" Welsh....man, did that guy know how to destroy a company!

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, sippy12 said:

All I know is...since Elon has been trying to buy twitter...Tesla stock has dropped. 

Tesla is dropping with the market. In case you didn't notice, the Dow fell 800 points yesterday and Tesla was down this year even before the Twitter news. 

One big difference between Ford and Musk... I don't think Musk is an anti-Semite. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, sippy12 said:

All I know is...since Elon has been trying to buy twitter...Tesla stock has dropped. 

I would imagine Musk is going to use Twitter as a Tesla advertising instrument. Although it certainly could be a platform for Tesla haters too. Musk has a tendency to shut down Tesla/Musk haters. We will see how far "free speech" goes with Musk when the haters show up on his new platform. 

6 hours ago, bzcat said:

Tesla is dropping with the market. In case you didn't notice, the Dow fell 800 points yesterday and Tesla was down this year even before the Twitter news. 

One big difference between Ford and Musk... I don't think Musk is ananti-Semite.  

Yep...only thing is...Dow is down 9% and Tesla down  26% ytd

17 hours ago, sippy12 said:

Yep...only thing is...Dow is down 9% and Tesla down  26% ytd

Exactly... Tesla is down 26% YTD - the Twitter thing just happened this week.

Tesla has been falling but it has nothing to do with Twitter. You were insinuating that somehow there were related.  

On 4/26/2022 at 5:15 PM, sippy12 said:

26 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

?

Seems like anything goes for "documentaries" nowadays!

Just watched Netflix documentary on Boeing. Showed Alan Mulally back in the 90's leading Boeing when it built quality aircraft. Then the big merger with McDonnel/Douglas and quality went to hell. I wouldn't touch Boeing stock no matter how cheap it gets after watching that documentary. 

• Like 1