Ford to launch another BEV Pickup

A bit later Mr. Farley was interviewed by Bloomberg. He said that IC trucks will still be in the Ford lineup for a long time, pointing out that the F150 Lightning isn't up to towing really heavy trailers... So it won't be a Super Duty. Ranger already has a home at Michigan Assembly, same with Transit Electric at Kansas City Assembly. So what trucks remain to be electrified and need a home... Maybe the already announced Transit Custom Electric?

If the reporter for AN got the quotes from Farley correct, it isn't an F150 and it is a truck: 

Ford CEO Jim Farley on Tuesday said the vehicle that the automaker intends to build at its upcoming Blue Oval City campus in Tennessee will be an additional electric pickup and not a next-generation F-150 Lightning.

Speaking to reporters following the launch of the Lightning, Farley said the product will be an "all-new" vehicle.

"It's another truck," he said. "This is not our only truck. We said very clearly we want to be the leader in electric pickup trucks."

In a release last year announcing Blue Oval City, Ford said it would build "next-generation electric F-Series pickups." The plant is expected to come online in 2024.

No ambiguity from Farley that it will be a truck, just not specific about the product.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/ford-ceo-jim-farley-new-plant-tennessee-build-another-truck-thats-not-f-150-lightning?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20220426&utm_content=hero-headline

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

I'd love to see a superduty class truck that could do 200 miles or so with a substantial trailer. I would be a buyer for my lawn business.

That is almost certainly being planned by Ford Captainp4. Farley's comments suggest that Ford will have BEV versions for all pickup truck models in its lineup, from Maverick up to F-Series Super Duty and Heavy Trucks. Lightning will strike more than once! ?

I'm looking forward to a Ranger BEV as an eventual replacement for the 2019 Ranger my family's landscaping business currently uses.

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Why would this be bad? ICE and alleged future hybrid version will be built at MAP. Full electric somewhere else. ICE will still be around by the time you retire.

They never said the electric Ranger would not be built at MAP. There's a lot of room there.  That being said, I think a small/midsize EV would have a vast market.

Ford loves spinning future vehicles into more than they are..

TE1 Lightning, it’s another BEV pickup that’s different to the current one…

Notice now Ford never mentions what happens to the current Lightning when the new one arrives in 2025.

Oh and electrification of T6 is already baked in, hybrid, PHEV and BEV are all future options.

Imagine current Lightning has a mini me…..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

I'm guessing it will be an alternative version of F-150 like GMC Hummer that is aimed at higher end buyer with more performance and bigger price tag.

The F-150 Lightning price range is aimed at the mainstream market. Farley is probably thinking $100k+ starting price.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I'm guessing it will be an alternative version of F-150 like GMC Hummer that is aimed at higher end buyer with more performance and bigger price tag.

The F-150 Lightning price range is aimed at the mainstream market. Farley is probably thinking $100k+ starting price.

I hope not. The world doesn't need another 9,000 pound Hummer as much of Southern U.S. is on fire. India has record heat and not even summer yet. 

31 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Good point bzcat. Even though in the F-150 Lightning launch press release Jim Farley said that the initial versions that already started production "are not a vanity project", Farley is aware that vanity obsessed, high-end pickup truck buyers bring Ford the big bucks. 

So a supertruck version of F-150 Lightning competing with GMC Hummer EV truck is almost certainly in the works. 

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford loves spinning future vehicles into more than they are..

TE1 Lightning, it’s another BEV pickup that’s different to the current one…

Notice now Ford never mentions what happens to the current Lightning when the new one arrives in 2025.

Oh and electrification of T6 is already baked in, hybrid, PHEV and BEV are all future options.

Imagine current Lightning has a mini me…..

Jalopnik seems to think it will be a BEV Ranger. I sure hope they are right. Ford needs another affordable BEV priced below the Lightning. The long range Lightning starts at $70,000+. A long range BEV Ranger under $50,000 would be good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1