Drained diesel disposal

EB1959

So, I asked around some of the locals about where to take Diesel drained from the filter and no one knows.  So where DO you take

the stuff drained from the filter, like when you drain the water out, some diesel comes with it.  I've never dumped oil or gas in the ground

or any other ways, but we'll be full time RV'ing ijn June and I'll have to drain any water from that filter on a monthly or more basis and need to dispose of it.

Where do you all take yours?

1 hour ago, EB1959 said:

So, I asked around some of the locals about where to take Diesel drained from the filter and no one knows.  So where DO you take

the stuff drained from the filter, like when you drain the water out, some diesel comes with it.  I've never dumped oil or gas in the ground

or any other ways, but we'll be full time RV'ing ijn June and I'll have to drain any water from that filter on a monthly or more basis and need to dispose of it.

Where do you all take yours?

You can mix with used motor oil and dispose of motor oil as normal, just ensure majority is motor oil.  Those recyclers expect a certain amount of oil, water, diesel and gas mixed in those big vats at recycling centers.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

How much are you getting out of the filter?

Put it in a Pepsi bottle and toss in trash can.....?

Do not do this.  This is how azzholes put people at risk that work in receiving facilities.  Dispose of it properly.

• Like 1

???  So a bottle of water with several ounces of diesel fuel in it is gonna put somebody at risk going to the landfill.???

Please do tell...what risk does it pose, from a trash can, the bag goes in a dumpster, the dumpsters do straight to the landfill....

Or yes do it by the book....make sure you take a diesel can (only one that is approved for diesel fuel), and a pan so you do not drip one drop on the ground, funnel it into the pan then transfer it into the can. Mop up your drips and runs and your pan with a shoprag or paper towels. Then drive your 6oz of water and 3 oz of diesel to the proper disposal place....then find another disposal place that will take diesel fuel rags because AutoZone won't take those.......

I have always wondered if Internet by the book holier-than-thou do gooders that never do anything other than 100% by the book actually do everything prim and proper 100% perfect or is it......well......internet show?

Mr Maf... Where do you put your oil/diesel fuel rags? Especially when you are on the road???? 

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Thanks 1

Same reason you don’t leave oily rags, fuel soaked trash etc in a garbage can in your garage.  Spontaneous combustion.

Decomposing trash creates heat, noxious gases, methane, etc.  If everyone did what you say you do, there would be more fires than they already have.   There’s a reason it’s illegal.  Maybe a little less pompous sanctimony and a little more respect for the people that have to clean up your crap.  Do it right.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

You never answered my question, where do you dispose oily rags?

There’s a recycling facility near my shop that disposes of oily rags if you drop em off and pay a small fee. 

This is in Vancouver British Columbia. 

Edited by Dr-Bear-PhD
Spelling

5 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

You never answered my question, where do you dispose oily rags?

Local airport by me has an oil collection facility, and will also take trash in a special bin.  I use disposable shop towels.  Rags are too hard to clean.  

Well there you go EB1959.

So now you have options on where to put your water from your filter while on the road.

1. Campfire

2. Pepsi bottle and trash can.

3. Take to parts store or recycle center. Maybe same place will take both.

4. FedEx it to a neighbor or family member you don't like, back home....

5. Drink it while singing in Korean to bluegrass and flashing gang signs to show fellow camper you are nuts ?(you wont have to worry about anyone near your campsite making ANY noise after 9pm ??)

Use it to burn mangy coyote carcasses after you shoot them.

Collect it in a container until the next Earth Day and use it to set your old tires on fire.

Small uncontaminated amounts pour back into the tank.

Mix with a small amount of BBQ fire starter and use to light campfires.

Recycle with other petroleum products.

bob

On 5/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Well there you go EB1959.

So now you have options on where to put your water from your filter while on the road.

1. Campfire

2. Pepsi bottle and trash can.

3. Take to parts store or recycle center. Maybe same place will take both.

4. FedEx it to a neighbor or family member you don't like, back home....

5. Drink it while singing in Korean to bluegrass and flashing gang signs to show fellow camper you are nuts ?(you wont have to worry about anyone near your campsite making ANY noise after 9pm ??)

Lighten up, Francis.

On 5/3/2022 at 3:38 AM, Cglenn said:

I use mine on fence lines etc. Way better than RoundUp!!! And way cheaper too! Well maybe not soon ??

When I played football in high school, they used diesel to mark the lines on our practice field.  One spray in June and they’d be there all summer/fall.