Looking for a Technical Data Sheet re: brake pull

doyall

Trying to find SSM-50718 which supposedly deals with the tendency of F-205's to have a "pull" to one side during heavy braking.  The service department quoted it to me as evidence that such events are "normal" but failed to provide a copy as stated they would in the repair order.  See attached.  Personally, I see it as dangerous.

brake work order.jpg

I have a new 2022 F350 King Ranch, picked it up on 4/25, my truck pulls to the right when I click off cruise, it will go into next lane and then proceed into ditch.  Under power, the truck tracks fairly straight.  Under some braking conditions, it does seem to pull to the right slightly but not in a seriously bad way, seems acceptable.  My truck also wanders when trying to keep in between the lines on interstate like there is too much backlash in gearbox.  My 2017 with Adaptive Steering (AS) didn't behave this way, at all.  I measured my brake pad temps last night after driving 25 miles and some heavy braking events, my RF was 144°F, LF was 104°F, LR was 98°F and RR was 108°F.  The RF being hotter is somewhat indicative of the pull to right and maybe even the steering wander.  Dealer checked my alignment, was in spec, also checked my steering gearbox for excessive backlash, seemed normal, driving the technician felt what I felt but said it's normal so I'm just on my own at this point.

You can see how much assistance Ford is able to provide technicians.

SSM 50718 - 2017-2022 F-Super Duty - Pull / Drift During Braking - Workshop Manual Update

Some 2017-2022 F-Super Duty vehicles may exhibit a pull / drift condition during braking. This may be due to the brake pads needing to be broken in. The Workshop Manual, Section 206-00 Symptom Chart for vehicle pulls or drifts during braking has been updated to reflect this information.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
 2017 - 2021 TRUCK: FE P558N SUPER DUTY
 2022 TRUCK: FE P558N SUPER DUTY

Workshop Manual Section 206-00 Symptom Chart:

Vehicle pulls or drifts during braking
  • Brake calipers and/or guide pins
  • Brake flexible hose
  • Brake pads
  • Brake discs

NOTE: Diagnosis of brake pull should not be performed on new vehicles with less than 500 miles. It usually takes 200 stops to completely break in new brake pads. Most low mileage brake pull issues will correct themselves during the brake pad and brake disc break in period. The break in period is dependent on number of stops and will affect the amount of time for improvement. Proper break in will ensure friction material is cured and properly mated to the brake disc. Some heat or odor during break in period will be normal.

INSPECT the brake system components. INSTALL new components as necessary.
  • Thanks 1