2.7L Bronco Engine failures

If you go to BG6, then this is a massive problem with the 2.7. The sky is falling. Don't look up at that asteroid. WE'RE GONNA DIE!!!

The reality of it is, there is probably 40-100 cases where the 2.7 drops a valve. All replaced under warranty. Seems like this is small batch of 2.7 with this issue. Given the amount of 2.7's around, this doesn't seem to be wide spread. Although it would be a bummer if it happened to you.

• Like 1

Given fact the 2.7 has been around for a long time and very large numbers are in use, in particular in 150's, all of a sudden this "rash " of failures I would think involves a specific issue related to a supplier issue or even an assembly screw up.  But not a design failure...I  would think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Given fact the 2.7 has been around for a long time and very large numbers are in use, in particular in 150's, all of a sudden this "rash " of failures I would think involves a specific issue related to a supplier issue or even an assembly screw up.  But not a design failure...I  would think?

They’re saying it’s a bad batch of valves 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Funny it would seem all the bad ones ended up in Bronco's.  That's why I posted this, it didn't make sense to me.

More likely they batch production by receiving plant so just luck of the draw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I did some napkin math using sales numbers and figured roughly 1/2 where V6s and it works out to roughly a 1% failure rate using the numbers from B6G

People with issues are usually the loudest on the internet, so they have a tendency to make it sound like it’s a problem for everyone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone said:

People with issues are usually the loudest on the internet, so they have a tendency to make it sound like it’s a problem for everyone.  

And Bronco owners are going to be way louder than F150 owners.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

And Bronco owners are going to be way louder than F150 owners.

Well my 2021 f-150 truck has been in the shop for almost a month, parents 2020 Lincoln left my mom stranded at Meijer today because it wouldn’t start, my coworkers daughters 2018 escape engine took a s*** at 71k which they have to pay for and my Dads business partner 2020 f250 is under lemon law and is driving a Ford provided vehicle until his replacement is built

There are massive quality issues at Ford right now. There is plenty of people on the 2021 F150 with problems if you read the forums. 

If this keeps up much longer I’ll be going the lemon route and the proud owner of a Sierra or Tundra. This company needs to stop cost cutting and get quality under control.. My family used to bleed Ford blue with 4 generations that have worked there, but what they make lately is borderline trash in the quality department. My old truck needed an alternator and fluids changed in the almost 12 years I owned it, my new truck has spent more time in the shop in the 9 months I’ve owned it than that did in the whole time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Well my 2021 f-150 truck has been in the shop for almost a month, parents 2020 Lincoln left my mom stranded at Meijer today because it wouldn’t start, my coworkers daughters 2018 escape engine took a s*** at 71k which they have to pay for and my Dads business partner 2020 f250 is under lemon law and is driving a Ford provided vehicle until his replacement is built

There are massive quality issues at Ford right now. There is plenty of people on the 2021 F150 with problems if you read the forums. 

If this keeps up much longer I’ll be going the lemon route and the proud owner of a Sierra or Tundra. This company needs to stop cost cutting and get quality under control.. My family used to bleed Ford blue with 4 generations that have worked there, but what they make lately is borderline trash in the quality department. My old truck needed an alternator and fluids changed in the almost 12 years I owned it, my new truck has spent more time in the shop in the 9 months I’ve owned it than that did in the whole time. 

I'm not saying that you experiences aren't valid but all vehicles have issues. Go to the new Tundra forums and tell me how that new twin turbo engine and trans is doing. Pretty much guarantee Stellantis/FCA or whatever they want to be called will have issues with the hurricane engine. Go to a Hyundai forum and see how that 8 speed trans is doing or their V6. If you want to the best chance of not having a problem with a vehicle, buy one of the last model year of the generation. 

16 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I'm not saying that you experiences aren't valid but all vehicles have issues. Go to the new Tundra forums and tell me how that new twin turbo engine and trans is doing. Pretty much guarantee Stellantis/FCA or whatever they want to be called will have issues with the hurricane engine. Go to a Hyundai forum and see how that 8 speed trans is doing or their V6. If you want to the best chance of not having a problem with a vehicle, buy one of the last model year of the generation. 

My Raptor was one of the first vehicles that was ever produced with the 6.2L and 0 problems. If my truck was a one off I would say it was just a bad build. Even Wall Street is noticing when Ford has warranty cost 2+ Billion more than GM. That is not counting the people with problems outside of warranty who pay or who have problems that never walk into a Ford showroom again. 

My coworker who’s daughter had the Escape engine die, now drives a RAV4 Hybrid, his mother retired from Ford. 

My father has a Maverick on order for his company and his words are if this is as bad as the Lincoln, F250 or my Truck he will be done with them, one or two is a fluke, 4 is something structural to save costs, he retired from Ford and is about done. 

I’m not saying other brands don’t have problems, but it’s ugly at Ford now. Toss in recall after recall and times are not good in Dearborn. 

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

It’s unfortunate that you guys have had these issues.  For me, the quality issues started showing up on my 2017 Raptor. There were several issues with that truck. Our 2020 Explorer had some nagging electronic issues, and so far our 2022 Explorer has had a burning oil smell that has been checked but the issue has not been identified.  Our 2022 F250 has some minor issues that need to be addressed as well.  This doesn’t include the numerous recalls related to these vehicles. My friend has a 2021 F150 and it has been problem free so not every vehicle is having issues.  

Ford really needs to get refocused on quality.  These problems have been enough that I am second guessing by Ford purchases, which would have never happened in the past.  Not to mention the serious amount of decontenting they have been doing, which diminishes the value to the customer. 

You may be able to blame some of the issues on Covid related matters, but that doesn’t have anything to do with the issues pre-Covid.  That was solely on Ford. 

I hope Farley is paying attention, because these are the things that could run off loyal customers as well as new ones.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

My Raptor was one of the first vehicles that was ever produced with the 6.2L and 0 problems. If my truck was a one off I would say it was just a bad build. Even Wall Street is noticing when Ford has warranty cost 2+ Billion more than GM. That is not counting the people with problems outside of warranty who pay or who have problems that never walk into a Ford showroom again. 

My coworker who’s daughter had the Escape engine die, now drives a RAV4 Hybrid, his mother retired from Ford. 

My father has a Maverick on order for his company and his words are if this is as bad as the Lincoln, F250 or my Truck he will be done with them, one or two is a fluke, 4 is something structural to save costs, he retired from Ford and is about done. 

I’m not saying other brands don’t have problems, but it’s ugly at Ford now. Toss in recall after recall and times are not good in Dearborn. 

Ironically my 2011 and 2013 Raptors were bulletproof as  well.  When you have Ford retirees second guessing things or buying alternate manufacturers you know there’s a problem. Like I said. Farley better start addressing this. 

8 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The thing is that all it does to take to lose a customer is one bad experience with a product. The other issue is will those same people do the same thing when they buy a Toyota/Honda/etc and have the same thing happen to them or will collective dissonance take over?

The newer Fords in my family-a 2020 Escape and a 2020 Explorer have had minor issues-the Escape has carpeting issues and I believe my sisters Explorer had some minor stuff that affected the Explorer at launch, but nothing major. My wife's 2018 Escape is still running good outside of an issue with the transmission slipping, but that was taken care of pretty painlessly. She has over 75K on it. My unexpected 2013 Fusion Hybrid runs good, but I had to dump $1000+ into new TMPS sensors and new front brake calibers...but hey its almost 13 years old. 

I've had one turd Ford product in the past 25 years or so, my 2002 SVT Focus...otherwise had good luck with them. 

10 hours ago, tbone said:

Our 2020 Explorer had some nagging electronic issues, and so far our 2022 Explorer has had a burning oil smell that has been checked but the issue has not been identified.

What motor is in your 22 Explorer?

12 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Thankfully the maverick appears to be pretty reliable, so he should be quite happy with his purchase.

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You and everyone else ?

I really want to add more to this conversation but all I'm going to do in the end is get myself in trouble 

Quality has and always be a problem...I know my dad told me stories of them throwing out wiring harnesses that came in because they where garbage...and that was 30-40 years ago.  

50 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Quality has and always be a problem...I know my dad told me stories of them throwing out wiring harnesses that came in because they where garbage...and that was 30-40 years ago.  

Ive never personally seen anything that bad, but I've heard plenty of the old timers talk about stuff like that. I definitely agree there's a lot of room for improvement. The numbers don't lie. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You and everyone else ?

I really want to add more to this conversation but all I'm going to do in the end is get myself in trouble 

I understand, and don’t blame you.  What you could do is try to communicate to someone who cares at the company  what you are seeing/hearing from long time customers.  Perhaps someone will start taking this seriously.  

10 hours ago, ohsown said:

What motor is in your 22 Explorer?

It’s a another ST, so a 3.0. There are no noticeable oil stains on the floor so the theory is it is dripping on the motor somewhere and burning off, but the location hasn’t been identified.