'22 April sales (U.S.)

Electric Vehicle Sales Increased 139 Percent On Strength Of Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit – First F-150 Lightnings Now Shipping To Dealers; Improved Inventory Flow Delivered April Share Gains Despite Semiconductor Chip Challenges; F-Series Deliveries Continue To Grow | Ford Media Center

Chart. 2022 Ford April Sales

Highlights.

• Sales of Ford electric vehicles increased 139 percent over last year on the strength of Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit sales, while the first shipments of all models of the all-new F-150 Lightning are underway. E-Transit sales increased 62.3 percent over March, while Mustang Mach-E had its best monthly sales performance since it was launched, with sales up 95.0 percent over last year
  • Ford’s all-new electric E-Transit sales were up 62.3 percent in April over March. With a total of 1,575 E-Transits sold this year in the U.S., ETransit has outsold the combined sales of other commercial electric vans, which totaled 42 vehicles through April.
  • Through April, Mustang Mach-E sales totaled 10,539 vehicles placing it second only to Tesla Model Y in electric SUV sales.
  • On improved dealer stock levels, Lincoln sales increased 23.7 percent over March, with Nautilus having its best April sales month in 12 years.

Watch that E-Transit number... Ford sold 975 units of E-Transit out of total 8,567 Transit or around 11% in April. Can't compare the YTD numbers because E-Transit has been on sale for only 2 months. 

I think this explains the question I asked last month on why there was no typical big spring fleet delivery of Transit to fleet customers this year. A lot of them must have reduced their ICE Transit order and waiting for their EV order to be delivered. I predict the mix of ICE vs. EV Transit will reach 50/50 pretty fast. Perhaps even by the end of this year. 

Edge is enjoying a reversal of fortune lately. I think supply shortage of Explorer is really boosting Edge. 

Ranger sales seems to have hit a rough patch... not sure if it is supply related (Ford building more Bronco and less Ranger) or demand related (Nissan Frontier is new and Toyota is pushing Tacoma aggressively)

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I predict the mix of ICE vs. EV Transit will reach 50/50 pretty fast. Perhaps even by the end of this year. 

Edge is enjoying a reversal of fortune lately. I think supply shortage of Explorer is really boosting Edge. 

I’m not sure 50/50 can happen with battery supply where it is at.

The Edge is the new midsized sedan for Ford, the majority if Fusion shoppers will go to Edge before they would go to a smaller or larger SUV. Losing the Edge is going to have an impact on sales, the question is Ford can migrate those buyers to other vehicles or will they go to another brand. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Ranger sales seems to have hit a rough patch... not sure if it is supply related (Ford building more Bronco and less Ranger) or demand related (Nissan Frontier is new and Toyota is pushing Tacoma aggressively)

IMO a little of both. No need to push Ranger when A. We're still so ridiculously behind on Bronco orders and B. New Ranger is coming next year and the full court press can start when that gets here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

The Edge is the new midsized sedan for Ford, the majority if Fusion shoppers will go to Edge before they would go to a smaller or larger SUV. Losing the Edge is going to have an impact on sales, the question is Ford can migrate those buyers to other vehicles or will they go to another brand. 

It’s a shame they couldn’t figure out how to keep Edge.  Like Fusion it’s the perfect size.  Before buying our Nautilus we tried a Corsair and an Aviator which were too small and too large, respectively.  But something had to go I guess.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

It’s a shame they couldn’t figure out how to keep Edge.  Like Fusion it’s the perfect size.  Before buying our Nautilus we tried a Corsair and an Aviator which were too small and too large, respectively.  But something had to go I guess.

I think it’s total crap to get rid of edge nautilus. I hope whatever they replace them with they can make up for the void. I don’t know if any explorer or aviator EV is an adequate replacement. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, akirby said:

From what I can tell, Ford has no plans to supply this segment until the new Edge/Nautilus-sized EVs get released. The unfortunate thing is (1) that they might not be available until a year or two after Edge/Nautilus has been shut down, and (2) even when they do come EVs won't be able to suit everyone (yet). I ultimately decided to buy out my 2019 Nautilus lease and will keep it for a few more years after which my situation might change and I'll be able to go the EV route on the Lincoln mid-sized 2-row crossover slated to come out RSN. Like you, I found the Corsair too small and Aviator too large for my needs. Before I decided to buy out my lease I was looking at the MB GLE450 or Genesis GV80 as a replacement. For me, the size of the Nautilus is just right.

Edited by Gurgeh

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

From what I can tell, Ford has no plans to supply this segment until the new Edge/Nautilus-sized EVs get released. The unfortunate thing is (1) that they might not be available until a year or two after Edge/Nautilus has been shut down, and (2) even when they do come EVs won't be able to suit everyone (yet). I ultimately decided to buy out my 2019 Nautilus lease and will keep it for a few more years after which my situation might change and I'll be able to go the EV route on the Lincoln mid-sized 2-row crossover slated to come out RSN. Like you, I found the Corsair too small and Aviator too large for my needs. Before I decided to buy out my lease I was looking at the MB GLE450 or Genesis GV80 as a replacement. For me, the size of the Nautilus is just right.

I was thinking the same thing but we need to hear more what their plans are. More info will be laid out next year with UAW/Unifor contracts. I thought this was another year of us up here at OAC being down 20 weeks. People thought we would be reduced to one shift now we’re working 9-10 hours shifts when there is parts. 2023 is supposedly the last model year for these vehicles makes me wonder if ford is gonna build a shit load of them if they have parts the last year because of the product gap you mention when these midsize cuvs are gone.

3 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Check out a new one - the improvements are significant.

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Looks like the Fusion Active has finally popped up-Looks like it can launch in the next 12 months going by spy photos that where just posted. 

Where in the US or Mexico do you think it will be built. It may be some form of edge replacement. Flat Rock??

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, jasonj80 said:

I hope Ford doesn’t over commit everything to electric cars.  I have nothing against electric cars, and I recognize the importance of developing them, but I don’t believe that everything is in place for a full transition, and there are plenty of people who simply don’t want them. Is Ford moving to quickly into a position where they won’t service both types of customers and they are going to let ice customers slide to other manufacturers who have the options?

I just don’t know how this is going to work out in the long run as I am one of those who doesn’t want to fully commit to electric yet. These thoughts were spurred by the news the base model Lightning has more power than Fords supposed halo truck the Raptor, which I find to be pretty disappointing as a Raptor buyer. 

I recall when the third Gen Raptor was released being disappointed the motor was a carryover. It makes me wonder if money for engine development was shifted to the Lightning.  Most of Farley’s statements are about electrics nowadays, which worries me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tbone said:

...I just don’t know how this is going to work out in the long run as I am one of those who doesn’t want to fully commit to electric yet. These thoughts were spurred by the news the base model Lightning has more power than Fords supposed halo truck the Raptor, which I find to be pretty disappointing as a Raptor buyer. 

I recall when the third Gen Raptor was released being disappointed the motor was a carryover. It makes me wonder if money for engine development was shifted to the Lightning.  Most of Farley’s statements are about electrics nowadays, which worries me.

It is just physics. An internal combustion engine simply can't match the instant torque of an electric motor, and it is the torque you feel when you stomp on the accelerator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

It is just physics. An internal combustion engine simply can't match the instant torque of an electric motor, and it is the torque you feel when you stomp on the accelerator.

Correct, the only limit now is how much grip is available. Were gonna see some serious power when modifiers get hold of these things….

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, bzcat said:

Watch that E-Transit number... Ford sold 975 units of E-Transit out of total 8,567 Transit or around 11% in April. Can't compare the YTD numbers because E-Transit has been on sale for only 2 months. 

I think this explains the question I asked last month on why there was no typical big spring fleet delivery of Transit to fleet customers this year. A lot of them must have reduced their ICE Transit order and waiting for their EV order to be delivered. I predict the mix of ICE vs. EV Transit will reach 50/50 pretty fast. Perhaps even by the end of this year. 

Well the Edge supply chain got hit this week and we will be laid off the week of May 9th. 

3 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Also, physics dictates an electric motor used in BEV will be an order of magnitude more efficient than ICE. For example, the permanent magnet synchronous motors in F-150 Lightning are over 95% efficient. By comparison, gasoline and diesel engines used in F-Series have thermal efficiency ratings around 40% or lower.

9 hours ago, tbone said:

I hope Ford doesn’t over commit everything to electric cars.  I have nothing against electric cars, and I recognize the importance of developing them, but I don’t believe that everything is in place for a full transition, and there are plenty of people who simply don’t want them. Is Ford moving to quickly into a position where they won’t service both types of customers and they are going to let ice customers slide to other manufacturers who have the options?

I just don’t know how this is going to work out in the long run as I am one of those who doesn’t want to fully commit to electric yet. These thoughts were spurred by the news the base model Lightning has more power than Fords supposed halo truck the Raptor, which I find to be pretty disappointing as a Raptor buyer. 

Its pretty funny that you’re all about the power but when Ford gives you more power you don’t want it.  Lightning is 4.0 seconds 0-60.  Once we get to next Gen batteries and infrastructure to support fast public charging I think you’ll be a convert.

18 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Also, physics dictates an electric motor used in BEV will be an order of magnitude more efficient than ICE. For example, the permanent magnet synchronous motors in F-150 Lightning are over 95% efficient. By comparison, gasoline and diesel engines used in F-Series have thermal efficiency ratings around 40% or lower.

But you also have to consider the efficiency of how that electricity was generated which can vary a lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

But you also have to consider the efficiency of how that electricity was generated which can vary a lot.

Good point akirby. I assume the refining and distribution aspects of gasoline and diesel fuel probably don't have as much variation in terms of process efficiency, compared to electric power generation & distribution.

Maybe bzcat or other energy industry people on this forum can provide more detailed calculations? 

On 5/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, bzcat said:

There's no way to confirm this, but I do wonder how many folks come into the showroom looking for a Ranger and leave driving a shiny new Maverick.

18 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Very few. Just try and find a Maverick in stock that's available!

For sure ice-capades. The Ford April 2022 sales report said Maverick is "turning on dealer lots in just 4 days". That makes it very difficult for a prospective customer to find a new Maverick in dealer stock and available. For the hybrid models, that task is practically impossible.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Very few. Just try and find a Maverick in stock that's available!

And the ones that are in stock have at least a $5K adm, sometimes $10K.  One dealer has one with a $20K adm on a $28K vehicle.

• Like 1