'22 April sales (U.S.)

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

And the ones that are in stock have at least a $5K adm, sometimes $10K.  One dealer has one with a $20K adm on a $28K vehicle.

And that’s what Farley is looking to stamp out, that kind of excessive mark up damages Ford’s reputation.

Without current supply issues, it’s easy to imagine the US auto industry would be running white hot with record sales. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't care how desperate you are, anyone who pays that is a goddamn idiot. 

Apparently with the reaction to COVID over the past two years, US household debt is the lowest point its ever been in the past 30 years. 

But yeah people are idiots...

1 hour ago, papilgee4evaeva said:

There's no way to confirm this, but I do wonder how many folks come into the showroom looking for a Ranger and leave driving a shiny new Maverick.

As others have mentioned, I think the number is approximately 0. Mavericks are not in stock, you had to have already ordered it to get one delivered. And if you ordered it 6 months ago, you probably were not in the market for a Ranger this month anyway. 

Again, just my hunch but I think Ford is reducing Ranger production to make room for more Bronco and also not putting a lot of retail or wholesale incentives because it doesn't need to. In the old days, Ford would need to prop up sales near the end of production cycle with rebates but since it can keep the plant operating building Bronco, there is no need to flood the channel with Ranger to keep the plant utilization up. This is why building multiple products with staggered product cycle on the same line makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bzcat said:

As others have mentioned, I think the number is approximately 0. Mavericks are not in stock, you had to have already ordered it to get one delivered. And if you ordered it 6 months ago, you probably were not in the market for a Ranger this month anyway. 

Again, just my hunch but I think Ford is reducing Ranger production to make room for more Bronco and also not putting a lot of retail or wholesale incentives because it doesn't need to. In the old days, Ford would need to prop up sales near the end of production cycle with rebates but since it can keep the plant operating building Bronco, there is no need to flood the channel with Ranger to keep the plant utilization up. This is why building multiple products with staggered product cycle on the same line makes a lot of sense.

To you and others, those are valid points.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Again, just my hunch but I think Ford is reducing Ranger production to make room for more Bronco

We're still building at the same ratio we have been since last summer nothing has changed there. I think what’s going on is they’re just not pushing Ranger so we can focus on launching Braptor and Everglades and catching up on bronco orders before we go into launch mode for NG Ranger later this year or early next year. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

We're still building at the same ratio we have been since last summer nothing has changed there. I think what’s going on is they’re just not pushing Ranger so we can focus on launching Braptor and Everglades and catching up on bronco orders before we go into launch mode for NG Ranger later this year or early next year. 

I was going to ask if you heard a schedule for NG Ranger.

15 hours ago, tbone said:

I hope Ford doesn’t over commit everything to electric cars.  I have nothing against electric cars, and I recognize the importance of developing them, but I don’t believe that everything is in place for a full transition, and there are plenty of people who simply don’t want them. Is Ford moving to quickly into a position where they won’t service both types of customers and they are going to let ice customers slide to other manufacturers who have the options?

I just don’t know how this is going to work out in the long run as I am one of those who doesn’t want to fully commit to electric yet. These thoughts were spurred by the news the base model Lightning has more power than Fords supposed halo truck the Raptor, which I find to be pretty disappointing as a Raptor buyer. 

I recall when the third Gen Raptor was released being disappointed the motor was a carryover. It makes me wonder if money for engine development was shifted to the Lightning.  Most of Farley’s statements are about electrics nowadays, which worries me.

Agreed in general about the carryover (especially with the same power figure), but there is the Raptor R coming.

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Nothing official. They're doing a bunch of work here in the body shop on the Ranger side during shutdown (hence the extra week) but that's all I know at the moment. 

Thailand  factory has already stopped making Gen 1 T6  Ranger but now  has problems with suppliers, Ford now promising better production in the second half of the year

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Thailand  factory has already stopped making Gen 1 T6  Ranger but now  has problems with suppliers, Ford now promising better production in the second half of the year

Well yeah, most of their supplies come from China and half of that country is on covid lockdown again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Agreed in general about the carryover (especially with the same power figure), but there is the Raptor R coming.

They could have easily bumped the power over 500hp with a tune to at least make it look like they didn’t phone it in. 

48 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I've been thinking it's weird we haven't heard more about that by now 

There is a degree of skepticism building on the Raptor forums that the R will materialize.  There has been very little info released since it’s announcement. If it is released the suspicion is it will be very limited in quantity and priced into the stratosphere.  In contrast with the TRX, which can be had starting out at $75k. 

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

They could have easily bumped the power over 500hp with a tune to at least make it look like they didn’t phone it in. 

48 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I've been thinking it's weird we haven't heard more about that by now 

There is a degree of skepticism building on the Raptor forums that the R will materialize.  There has been very little info released since it’s announcement. If it is released the suspicion is it will be very limited in quantity and priced into the stratosphere.  In contrast with the TRX, which can be had starting out at $75k. 

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct, the only limit now is how much grip is available. Were gonna see some serious power when modifiers get hold of these things….

And I think we'll see some serious government intervention when people smash these things because they are not used to the torque.  

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

And I think we'll see some serious government intervention when people smash these things because they are not used to the torque.  

I doubt that very much as guilt free performance will be used to encourage even more buyers away from ICEs

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Also have Ford trying to sell high $92k trim versions of Lightning at the moment, the last thing they need is to remind folks of Raptor.

I don’t understand the logic.  Lightning is “sold out” according to Ford.  Raptor R has a totally different customer base, you know, those who want a $90k super truck.  There is certainly a market for both and it would be surprising if Ford bailed on the plan to build the Raptor R.  

32 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I don’t understand the logic.  Lightning is “sold out” according to Ford.  Raptor R has a totally different customer base, you know, those who want a $90k super truck.  There is certainly a market for both and it would be surprising if Ford bailed on the plan to build the Raptor R.  

The lower series Lightning trims for this year (small volumes) were sold out a few weeks ago, all that remained were the high series ones and I’d assume that Ford is still getting them sold…

Edited by jpd80

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The lower series Lightning trims for this year (small volumes) were sold out a few weeks ago, all that remained were the high series ones and I’d assume that Ford is still getting them sold…

Not according to multiple media outlets, including the example linked below.  Regardless, “sold out” or not, Lightning and Raptor are marketed to completely different customers.  One could assume that Ford has another reason for holding back on releasing the Raptor R.  

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-is-completely-sold-out/

24 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Not according to multiple media outlets, including the example linked below.  Regardless, “sold out” or not, Lightning and Raptor are marketed to completely different customers.  One could assume that Ford has another reason for holding back on releasing the Raptor R.  

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-is-completely-sold-out/

Youre probably seeing pre OKTB stock units and dealer demos.

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Sold out is relative to the low build numbers this year, originally that was going to be around 15,000, maybe it’s 20,000 now but few batteries mean nothing spectacular. Ford is still stuck with Hackett’s woeful battery planning.

With these annoying chip shortages, there’s no point in discussing Raptor because the line is out the door so to speak, if ford is struggling to supply for weeks/months, there’s hardly any point talking about another vehicle until they get a clear path on current ones.

Edited by jpd80

17 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Sold out is relative to the low build numbers this year, originally that was going to be around 15,000, maybe it 20,000 now but nothing spectacular.

With these annoying chip shortages, there’s no point in discussing Raptor because the line is out the door so to speak, if ford is struggling to supply for weeks/months, there’s hardly any point talking about another vehicle until they get a clear path on current ones.

I couldn’t agree more, but manufacturers aren’t going to stop developing and marketing new products.  Bronco Raptor is a prime example.  You’d think that Ford would build existing orders before adding new models to the production mix considering the current supply constraints.  I don’t understand it, but the reality is, manufacturers are moving forward with new products regardless of the supply situation.  Here’s to hoping supplies normalize within the next year or so.  

• Like 1