Jump starting 2022 Nautilus...what do you connect neg cable to?

I carry a NOCO GB40 battery jump starter in back of wife's vehicle. Have rarely had to use it on past vehicles, because she just buys a new battery every 3 years. But have used it on other people's vehicles to get them started. 

When looking over her new Nautilus, I see you can't get to neg terminal on battery and use it as a ground, it's way back in engine compartment. So what ground point do you guys use? Is there a ground point designed on the vehicle? Not much exposed metal I can reach with the short cables that come with the NACO GB40. The bolt on top of the strut tower is exposed and can reach. Would that work? A better place in that general area? I have read that some vehicles have designated ground points built in place. Electricity is not something I'm knowledgeable about. Thanks

29 minutes ago, Ralph Greene said:

I carry a NOCO GB40 battery jump starter in back of wife's vehicle. Have rarely had to use it on past vehicles, because she just buys a new battery every 3 years. But have used it on other people's vehicles to get them started. 

When looking over her new Nautilus, I see you can't get to neg terminal on battery and use it as a ground, it's way back in engine compartment. So what ground point do you guys use? Is there a ground point designed on the vehicle? Not much exposed metal I can reach with the short cables that come with the NACO GB40. The bolt on top of the strut tower is exposed and can reach. Would that work? A better place in that general area? I have read that some vehicles have designated ground points built in place. Electricity is not something I'm knowledgeable about. Thanks

Hi Ralph. Yes, there are designated connection points for jump starting your Nautilus. Those points are explained and shown in your Owners Manual. Find the correct pages in your copy by looking in the Index under "Jump Starting The Vehicle".

I could tell you where mine are, but I have an MKZ and they may differ somewhat.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

26 minutes ago, Ralph Greene said:

Thanks guys! I looked all over the written owners manual and the digital one. And the manual from NACO. They just keep saying exposed metal part or somilar. 

I know.  That’s because normally you use a metal engine part instead of the actual negative terminal.  But I don’t know why they don’t point this out.

Edited by akirby

Hi gang. EDIT- I stand (or sit) corrected. The 2022 Nautilus Owners Manual does not have the same pictogram that my 2018 MKZ does. ?

The one it does have does not seem to match the battery location of the Nautilus?

Instead, the instructions are:

"1. Pull the red rubber boot backward.
Connect the positive (+) jumper cable to
the positive (+) terminal of the discharged
battery.

2. Connect the other end of the positive (+)
jumper cable to the positive (+) terminal
of the booster vehicle battery.
3. Connect the negative (-) jumper cable to
the negative (-) terminal of the booster
vehicle battery.
4. Make the final connection of the negative
(-) jumper cable to an exposed metal part
of the disabled vehicle's engine, as
shown in the following illustration, away
from the battery and fuel injection
system, or connect the negative (-)
jumper cable to a ground connection
point if available.
Note: Do not use the hood latch as a
negative (-) connection point. This could
cause springs in the latch to burn and
prevent the hood from operating correctly."

The problem is the illustration they refer to in those instructions does not seem to look correct according to akirby's photo. as I mentioned above. Perhaps one of you Nautilus owners can verify this?

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

No worries....I appreciate your response. My underhood is exactly like akirby. There is a nice little bolt there just like his pic shows. That question was bugging me. I'm retired from Merrill Lynch, didn't learn much automotive there. Lots of practical stuff I don't know. Now....if you want to buy some futures contracts on pork bellies....well...at one time I did that. In my old age, I'm impressed by people who know about stuff and how to do things. Lots of us know a lot about useless things in retirement. 

Edited by Ralph Greene