Windshield Replacement Issues

PineNut

About a month ago I had to have the windshield in my 2015 F150 Lariat replaced.  It has the technology package so it has the camera and rain sensor attached to the windshield.  I was told by State Farm I'd have to take it to Safelite because they were the only one in our area that could recalibrate the camera.  When they were attempting to reinstall the camera the bracket attached to the windshield came off.  They epoxied the bracket back on and installed and calibrated the camera.  The manager informed me that they were not happy with how it went back together and they were going to order another new windshield.  

Two weeks later I meet the mobile tech in a Walmart parking lot (40 miles closer to home) for install number 2.  I was looking over the tech's shoulder as he reinstalled the camera.  He barely started to twist the camera into the bracket when I heard a "pop" and the bracket partially separted from the glass.  The tech did not have epoxy on his truck so he couldn't glue it back on.  He called the shop and the guy on the other end said the issue is that State Farm will not pay for an OEM quality replacement.  The replacement windshield they were using has a plastic bracket were as the OEM windshield uses a metal bracket.  The adhesive was sticking to the glass but not to the plastic bracket.  I left the parking lot with my rear view mirror secured with green tape and instructions not to use my cruise control since he couldn't calibrate the camera. Safelite wasn't sure what they were going to do but they would "get back to me".

Since I was in town I dropped in on my State Farm agent and told them my story.  She said she would call Safelite and see what could be done. This morning I get a call from Safelite that they  "got State Farm to approve an OEM replacement" and scheduled a new appointment.  

Maybe I'm just extremely unlucky to get two bad windshields in a row but it's something to be aware of if/when you need a windshield replacement.  Make sure you are clear what your insurance company is paying for and start lobbying them for a OEM replacement from the beginning.   BTW, I'm not unhappy with Safelite or my insurance agent.  Safelite's service has been great and I have no problem recommending them.

Install #3 is scheduled for next Friday.  Wish me luck!

FWIW I've long been insured by State Farm in Texas and have had several vehicle windshields replaced by Safelite.  Never had any problem with the SF glass claims folks (a subcontractor to SF in my experience) approving and fully paying for "genuine OE" (vs alleged 'OE equivalent') glass which is available through Safelite upon specific request.

Safelite often does not show "Genuine OE" as an option when making an online reservation - you've got to call them to specify that, and they'll then provide that to your insurance for approval up-front.

I'm surprised that they would even do a mobile installation, I've always had to get it done at a Safelite service center when 'driver aid' cams are involved in order to get the proper post-installation calibration done.

Edited by FordEscape