Dog/stink accessory specific question

My build date moved back to 5/30.   Memorial Day.  Not sure how to feel about that as I don't do my best work on either side of a holiday weekend.

At any rate, it is starting to feel real.   Has anyone figured out how to protect the carpet in the back seat from dogs?   I have 4 labs that go with me everywhere, and I'd prefer if they didn't stink up the truck immediately.   To fit them I pretty much keep the rear seat folded up so they have more room   My current set up was available from weather tech and has worked really well for the past 3+ years but they don't offer anything for the 2020 SD with the fold down storage.   

Any help would be appreciated.  

Well, my suggestion is a little late, but I went with the carpet delete for my King Ranch, or should I say "premium vinyl floor covering" (since I paid extra to get it.)

It hadn't really occurred to me until I saw a YouTube video review of a truck that had it. It was a nice looking floor, with the King Ranch emblem imprinted. An the floor mats end up covering most of the carpet anyway. The dog hair always finds its way to the little big of carpet that is showing.

1 hour ago, G8R said:

Well, my suggestion is a little late, but I went with the carpet delete for my King Ranch, or should I say "premium vinyl floor covering" (since I paid extra to get it.)

It hadn't really occurred to me until I saw a YouTube video review of a truck that had it. It was a nice looking floor, with the King Ranch emblem imprinted. An the floor mats end up covering most of the carpet anyway. The dog hair always finds its way to the little big of carpet that is showing.

I wish I had thought about that earlier but I will reach out to the sales MGR and see if I can still make the change.  Thanks for the idea.

4 hours ago, LabCrazy said:

My build date moved back to 5/30.   Memorial Day.  Not sure how to feel about that as I don't do my best work on either side of a holiday weekend.

At any rate, it is starting to feel real.   Has anyone figured out how to protect the carpet in the back seat from dogs?   I have 4 labs that go with me everywhere, and I'd prefer if they didn't stink up the truck immediately.   To fit them I pretty much keep the rear seat folded up so they have more room   My current set up was available from weather tech and has worked really well for the past 3+ years but they don't offer anything for the 2020 SD with the fold down storage.   

7 hours ago, LabCrazy said:

I have the factory back mat which covers up to the storage.throw a carpet runner of the correct size over the rubber mat. I have a couple of dog beds thrown in also.

I made a bag out of boat top material to cover the seat back over the top of my seat covers. I also put side covers on the back doors to protect the window ledge. 

All of this can be removed when you arent hauling the pups taking the stink out of the truck.

9 hours ago, LabCrazy said:

Has anyone figured out how to protect the carpet in the back seat from dogs?   I have 4 labs that go with me everywhere, and I'd prefer if they didn't stink up the truck immediately.   To fit them I pretty much keep the rear seat folded up so they have more room   My current set up was available from weather tech and has worked really well for the past 3+ years but they don't offer anything for the 2020 SD with the fold down storage.

Currently pondering the same.   We are a one pup family & she usually gets free range of the rear with the seats folded up.  The fold up/under seat storage is really appealing but the reality is our seats are rarely down.   In that vane, my concern is that the standard Weathertech style mats are narrow, only covering the carpet area & abut that plastic storage vs full floor coverage.   I don't think it would take long for dog nails to wreak havoc on that plastic 'pseudo' floor.  At the moment we are utilizing a moving blanket.  Woof is in her twilight years & with likely only a few months left we will have time to prepare for the next gen. 

We have a GSD & Lab.

I cover the rear seat with a plastic canvas cover that is washable. The floor has all-weather floor mats and then I fill in the gap between the front & rear seats with Styrofoam, which I constructed. Purchased sheets of Styrofoam and cut them into lengths wide enough to fit between the seats. Behind each of the front seats I created 2 lower blocks by gluing sheets together (about 12" high) I wrapped these in plastic. For the top, I create a single piece to fill the gap between the seats, aide to side across the vehicle and at the height of the rear seat. This I covered in plastic and then wrapped in Naugahyde. 

Not perfect, but it saves most of the carpet and gives the dogs lots more space.

1 hour ago, LabCrazy said:

So I paid the dealership visit and was told that I can still add vinyl flooring, but it would definitely push my delivery date out further.  

Thanks for the suggestions above.  Sounds like I will have to try door # 2.

I'm surprised. It's my understanding that changes can't be made after you are scheduled for production, but who knows. I ordered 10/19, and am awaiting delivery of mine any day now, so I'll know soon if I made the right decision. Good luck with your order.

What I did for my golden retriever is I made a box out of 1/2” plywood with a cutout around the console the same height as the seat.I then ordered a water proof seat cover that matches the interior.I put a dog bed on top of that and she has plenty of room and rides like a Queen lol.I left the box open ended so we can store things like fuel additives and paper towels and such.It works real well for us .Also I covered the box with matching material.The box is made the whole width of the seat.

4 hours ago, Oldfordguy said:

What I did for my golden retriever is I made a box out of 1/2” plywood with a cutout around the console the same height as the seat.I then ordered a water proof seat cover that matches the interior.I put a dog bed on top of that and she has plenty of room and rides like a Queen lol.I left the box open ended so we can store things like fuel additives and paper towels and such.It works real well for us .Also I covered the box with matching material.The box is made the whole width of the seat.

I would like to see this....sound like a good idea...intrigued!

• Like 1