2022 F350 Trailer Wiring Fault

I have a 2022 F350 Superduty Platinum 6.7L PSD that I use to pull my 5th wheel.  There is a recall on the trailer brake controller that my dealer fixed.  However, I still get an error that will pop up on my dash that says Trailer Wire Fault and will say my trailer is disconnected, when it is still connected.  I have checked the trailer wire to make sure it is well seated.  I have found that other people will get a blinker issue that seems similar.  When I get the fault, I don't have brakes on the trailer anymore, however, all my lights and blinkers still work.  It seems that this is connected to the recall, but it doesn't seem that anyone at the dealer knows what to do.  They keep blaming the trailer, but I never had this issue until I got the new truck.  Anyone else have this issue when using the 7 pin on their 2022 superduty, or know of a fix?

Thanks,

I have the same truck, and early on I had a fault and my right turn signal on the fifth wheel wouldn’t work .The trailer was less than a year old.I checked all connections but couldn’t find the problem.Then I got a spay can of electrical contact cleaner, I sprayed bothe the truck and trailer and everything works fine since.Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue after I plugged into the bed mounted plug. What I found was a loose connection on the wiring harness where the y was plugged into the truck harness causing intermittent weak connection. I never lost complete connection but an extended brake application threw a right rear trailer brake light fault. I took all the connections apart applied connection grease and my problems disappeared.  The loose connection was directly behind the spare. I had to lower the spare.

• Like 1

I'm a big believer in using dielectric grease, especially for high humidity conditions like we experience here in the Pacific Northwest. I use it for my 5th wheel 7-pin trailer connection and the shore power connections for the 5th itself. It prevents corrosion and a high resistance connection that can cause your trailer issues.

18 hours ago, bbqtruck said:

They keep blaming the trailer, but I never had this issue until I got the new truck.  Anyone else have this issue when using the 7 pin on their 2022 superduty, or know of a fix?

I found the 7 pin being very stiff and dielectric grease helped it fully engage.

On 5/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, bbqtruck said:

I have a 2022 F350 Superduty Platinum 6.7L PSD that I use to pull my 5th wheel.  There is a recall on the trailer brake controller that my dealer fixed.  However, I still get an error that will pop up on my dash that says Trailer Wire Fault and will say my trailer is disconnected, when it is still connected.  I have checked the trailer wire to make sure it is well seated.  I have found that other people will get a blinker issue that seems similar.  When I get the fault, I don't have brakes on the trailer anymore, however, all my lights and blinkers still work.  It seems that this is connected to the recall, but it doesn't seem that anyone at the dealer knows what to do.  They keep blaming the trailer, but I never had this issue until I got the new truck.  Anyone else have this issue when using the 7 pin on their 2022 superduty, or know of a fix?

Thanks,

I had a similar issue on my conventional trailers when I connected their 7-pin plugs to my 2017 F350, same type connection just out by bumper instead in bed.  Mine turned out to be slightly corroded terminals on the trailer harness plug since it is exposed to the elements.  The terminals are most likely brass and they tarnish from the elements.  I usually plug and unplug several times to wipe the electrical contact surfaces and my problem usually clears up.  If it's stubborn, I'll take a pocket knife and scrape the thin layer of oxidation off the female spade connections in the trailer connector, not real easy to access.  The ones on the truck are more protected from corrosion but are not immune.  The dielectric grease will help if they are already clean but once they get corroded, they will need to be properly cleaned first, then apply the dielectric grease.  What's funny is dielectric grease is non conducting, but we use it for electrical connections because it protects the surfaces of the contacts from corrosion, not to make them actually conduct better, seems counter intuitive but if you have good clean connections, it wipes the grease off enough to make a good and effective electrical contact.  Good luck but I'd suspect the plug on your trailer has some corroded surfaces.