VW to use Scout name as electric pickup

jasonj80

On 5/11/2022 at 11:57 PM, AGR said:

The VW design boss had a now-deleted post on his Instagram page showing both a pickup and SUV:

VW will revive Scout nameplate for electric pickup (autoblog.com)

Why would VW spend money on developing a Pickup the same size as the Ranger? They can't sell it in the US, so something smaller would make more sense since it wouldn't duplicate effort in other parts of the world. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Why would VW spend money on developing a Pickup the same size as the Ranger? They can't sell it in the US, so something smaller would make more sense since it wouldn't duplicate effort in other parts of the world. 

If it’s an EV, they can be using their own architecture and long term not be dependent on Ford for an entrant in the segment 

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't know, ask that designer.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

If it’s an EV, they can be using their own architecture and long term not be dependent on Ford for an entrant in the segment 

The thing is that the Amarok goes into production sometime next year and the Scout Pickup/SUV start in 2025/26?

I'm going to assume the Amarok deal lasts at least one complete generation of 5-10 years with the Ranger. 

But who knows what is going on long term with the VW-Ford linkups in different markets too....

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The thing is that the Amarok goes into production sometime next year and the Scout Pickup/SUV start in 2025/26?

I'm going to assume the Amarok deal lasts at least one complete generation of 5-10 years with the Ranger. 

But who knows what is going on long term with the VW-Ford linkups in different markets too....

Maybe VW isn't allowed to sell the Amarok in North America, but they want a piece of the pie anyway.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AGR said:

Maybe VW isn't allowed to sell the Amarok in North America, but they want a piece of the pie anyway.

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yup, this makes sense to me.

But why spend all that Money on a product that is basically different from everything else you make (I don't know any other BOF VWs) and making it Unibody would lose pretty much any creed it would have with the off road crowd.

That is why I see this being more like the Bronco Sport and Maverick then the Bronco and Ranger. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, twintornados said:

I'll just leave this right here...

image.thumb.png.cacefc34e4c1b4f5546bc577d677ef8d.png

image.png.0e7a5e4fb0b813db8dd32f81242a645e.png

image.png.a224a6b3bf120abc0fc3f29df52d4a50.png

I know about the Cherokee, but also remember it wasn’t marketed for that and part of the reason it was popular was because it was cheap. 

the Scout is going to have a lot of people shitting on it because it’s a VW and BEV. 

plus don’t forget this was a thing too

40B6ECBC-ED25-41CA-B2FE-8BBB6BEA0C65.thumb.jpeg.9fa9c0f3b662d2b4313b49aa9959f69b.jpeg

On 5/15/2022 at 5:02 PM, silvrsvt said:

But why spend all that Money on a product that is basically different from everything else you make (I don't know any other BOF VWs) and making it Unibody would lose pretty much any creed it would have with the off road crowd.

That is why I see this being more like the Bronco Sport and Maverick then the Bronco and Ranger. 

Range Rovers are unibody.

I dunno, maybe they figure going after a segment so different than everything else they make might do well?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Latest Scout announcements from VW. SCOUT MOTORS SELECTS SOUTH CAROLINA FOR PRODUCTION SITE — Scout Motors

• Assembly plant will be in the Midlands Region of South Carolina 
  • Annual production capacity is 200,000 vehicles at start
  • Groundbreaking is planned for mid-2023 and production is projected to begin by the end of 2026
  • Scout Community Forums is active. GENERAL DISCUSSION | Scout Motors Community Forums