Next Gen Mustang Debut in April 2023

It will debut before that, that is close to the onsale date of it, bigger announcement is April 17, 2024.

The Mustang program has seen a lot of changes and budget cuts in it over the past 3 years. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

It will debut before that, that is close to the onsite date of it, bigger announcement is April 17, 2024.

The Mustang program has seen a lot of changes and budget cuts in it over the past 3 years. 

It’s a good thing that it’s an iconic brand, I’d hate to see what would happen otherwise……

although, Camaro shows how crappy and unsupportive GM can be 

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

It will debut before that, that is close to the onsite date of it, bigger announcement is April 17, 2024.

Which would be it's 60th Anniversary.  Although I'm intrigued by what they would announce on that date? I don't expect a full EV coupe until the 8th Gen/S750.......and the hybrid needs to come pretty soon after launch if Mustang is still to be sold to "rest of the world" markets, especially Europe.

I too, expect it to debut before that. In fact, I'd expect a debut before the end of this year with first deliveries around April 17th 2023, if not earlier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It’s a good thing that it’s an iconic brand, I’d hate to see what would happen otherwise……

although, Camaro shows how crappy and unsupportive GM can be 

Mark Reuss loves the Corvette and has been the champion and driver of resources to the program, the Corvette program will get what it wants as long as he is at the helm of GM. No other program is as important as the Corvette to him (including Full sized SUV's and Pickups) The Corvette to him is GM.

Mustang is going to expand in family where some resources went and more electric versions along with ICE will be sold at the same time. I was told there is a number at which when ICE sales fall below a certain amount the ICE plug will be pulled even if it isn't at the end of the scheduled life cycle, Ford also expects there will be a short burst of high content V8 sales after that announcement.

• Like 1

• ice-capades changed the title to Next Gen Mustang Debut in April 2023

Exactly, the ICE Mustang is going the same way the Aussie Falcon did, a great car but buyers moving on. The key in managing the final years is giving those buyers their last ICE Mustang and celebrating that long heritage with very special versions to the end. At the same time, revealing the future with BEV coupe and of course, the Mach E.

If an ecoboost hybrid wiht a decent price (<$40K) is announced, I will consider trading my '20 ecoboost 101A package.  I started with an '04 GT Premium 4.6L and the S550 ecoboost easily bested that in HP and torque, handling etc.  Hopefully same case for the S650 when the hybrid comes out.  I don't need a V8 with the performance of the ecoboost and hopefully future PHEV progressing as it has..  I would be a buyer for a pure BEV now if it was not for the initial cost. V8s were fun and I love the sound, but they are really becoming more hobby vehicles rather then daily drivers. I don't need 460 HP for my daily driver 300+ is enough. I drive my Mustang 365 days a year even in Wisconsin snow storms thanks to awesome snow tires on the market. Of course I would also consider AWD Mustang Coupe depending on cost. I think there is definitely a market for Mustang hybrid in the USA, not just over seas.  

17 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I was told there is a number at which when ICE sales fall below a certain amount the ICE plug will be pulled even if it isn't at the end of the scheduled life cycle, Ford also expects there will be a short burst of high content V8 sales after that announcement.

Well, that may well be a self fulfilling prophecy as the current chip shortage has meant Flat Rock has been down for more than 2 months this year already. I suspect there will be even less S550s built this year than last :(

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I know that the battery back itself is almost always mounted between the wheels under the floor. But aren't the electric motors usually housed either in, or near the wheels themselves? 

Weight distribution?

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

You have a point, was mostly just thinking of the placement of the motors themselves. But most of the weight is placed between the wheels. 

Looking at the F-150 Lightning, the motors are placed between the tires on the same axle.

The whole point of a mid engined vehicle be that front mounted or rear mounted is the near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. So it’s easy to see that in an electric vehicle, the weight of components is more evenly dispersed and the battery entered and at a low cog making BEVs arguably more stable than a similar ICE vehicle.