No CD player with 2022 Super Duty :(

I did a search, not extensive but couldn't really find much discussion on Ford removing CD player from entertainment system.  I didn't realize my new truck wasn't going to have a CD player until the day I took delivery, salesman looked at me like I was from another planet.  Now I have a $%^& load of CDs and no way to play them.  Are any of you also surprised and if you like CDs or your collection, how are you able to listen now, download to iTunes and save to phone?

23 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

I did a search, not extensive but couldn't really find much discussion on Ford removing CD player from entertainment system.  I didn't realize my new truck wasn't going to have a CD player until the day I took delivery, salesman looked at me like I was from another planet.  Now I have a $%^& load of CDs and no way to play them.  Are any of you also surprised and if you like CDs or your collection, how are you able to listen now, download to iTunes and save to phone?

Download the CD's to a computer thumb drive and stick it in the USB plug.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

Have you actually tried this, sounds too simple?

Yes that would work as long as it was in a format the Truck's sound system/computer could read. For that matter you could do the same on your phone, or just install Spotify and listen for free, or pay a subscription and listen without commercials.  

Serious question though. Where can you even buy CD's anymore? There hasn't been a music store in my area for years and years. Is it Walmart, or are they super old from the 90's-2000's??

21 minutes ago, psmith79 said:

Yes that would work as long as it was in a format the Truck's sound system/computer could read. For that matter you could do the same on your phone, or just install Spotify and listen for free, or pay a subscription and listen without commercials.  

Serious question though. Where can you even buy CD's anymore? There hasn't been a music store in my area for years and years. Is it Walmart, or are they super old from the 90's-2000's??

Damn, I'm old...It's probably been 10 years since I bought a new CD, maybe longer.  I have many that are copies of old CDs, I have some special ones I like, The Rippingtons, Yanni, Pink Floyd of which I'm not sure how you could find those via subscription.  I already listen to Sirius, mostly 80s on 8, Classic Rock or Yacht Rock, Deep Tracks and several others but the CDs have a collection of songs that I really enjoy.  I guess they are forcing me to adapt to the changing world of Music, I'm old enough to remember 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, then CD changers and now Apple CarPlay.

25 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Yanni...world instrumental.....?

I found this in owner's manual, sounds like I'll need a USB CD drive to play CDs.  If I can run from a flash drive, that would be cool but I'm not sure you just copy files from a CD to flash drive?   Wouldn't I need to burn a copy of the CD to the flash a drive and not just copy to a flash drive?  I guess I'm on an island here, a deserted island, Haha.  My wife and I went to see Yanni in concert, love the music no matter which album I listen to.

image.thumb.png.18dba04d41b74db9376167e4eb4a1fc4.png

1 hour ago, 787Toolman said:

Damn, I'm old...It's probably been 10 years since I bought a new CD, maybe longer.  I have many that are copies of old CDs, I have some special ones I like, The Rippingtons, Yanni, Pink Floyd of which I'm not sure how you could find those via subscription.  I already listen to Sirius, mostly 80s on 8, Classic Rock or Yacht Rock, Deep Tracks and several others but the CDs have a collection of songs that I really enjoy.  I guess they are forcing me to adapt to the changing world of Music, I'm old enough to remember 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, then CD changers and now Apple CarPlay.

I still have some 8 Tracks.......

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

I found this in owner's manual, sounds like I'll need a USB CD drive to play CDs.  If I can run from a flash drive, that would be cool but I'm not sure you just copy files from a CD to flash drive?   Wouldn't I need to burn a copy of the CD to the flash a drive and not just copy to a flash drive?  I guess I'm on an island here, a deserted island, Haha.  My wife and I went to see Yanni in concert, love the music no matter which album I listen to.

image.thumb.png.18dba04d41b74db9376167e4eb4a1fc4.png

Copy them into iTunes...er...Apple Music now

1 hour ago, IA Diver said:

Copy them into iTunes...er...Apple Music now

I hate proprietary iTunes.  Android is much more easier and without the interference of Apple. I'd just rip the songs that I want onto a thumb drive in the correct file type and call it good. 

I feel you, I miss having a CD player in the car too. I own nearly 1000 CDs, and only listen to them on my hifi system at home now. I’ve moved to Spotify, and I find it’s pretty great, but the catalog is missing a lot of rare records and b-sides that I enjoy a lot. 

10 hours ago, 1972Mach1 said:

I hate proprietary iTunes.  Android is much more easier and without the interference of Apple. I'd just rip the songs that I want onto a thumb drive in the correct file type and call it good. 

Nothing proprietary about iTunes now.  I just copied 1300 songs from iTunes with playlists and they work great.

• Thanks 1

I have a thumb drive the size of a chiclet with 1300 songs and a bunch of playlists.  I use iTunes because I buy a lot of songs online but there are dozens of free programs to help you rip and organize them.  You can probably do most of it with Windows media manager now.

Once you have them on your PC you can easily make multiple copies for multiple vehicles, move them from vehicle to vehicle when you trade in, do backups, searches, etc.   Could not be easier.

And you get voice control with sync - play song, play artist, play album.  

13 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

Ford and the other OEM"s started removing CD players years ago due to the changes in how customers want to play their own music playlists including USB drives, streaming from cell phones, etc. The options available today provide the customer with more choices to meet the wider variety of needs.

Try finding a new computer today that includes a CD/DVD drive.  

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

I don't miss it in my Fusion. I play literally everything from my phone. I use it in the Flex when we go on trips because the kids like to listen to audiobooks but even that my wife found a good app for that has a good variety of stuff so the only time it gets used is when I buy new CDs. The only time I play CDs really is at home. 

26 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Try finding a new computer today that includes a CD/DVD drive.  

That's why I build all of mine. DVDRW drives are dirt cheap. Blu-Ray burner prices are dropping too but the blank discs are still too expensive to justify IMO.