No CD player with 2022 Super Duty :(

I had a 2020 Escape that had no CD player either, they started phasing them out around 2019 I believe.  My Explorer Limited had a 5 or 6 disc CD player that I never used because years ago I just copied all of my CD's into iTunes and loaded them on my phone (last time I checked it was 1,485 songs) but even then, I find myself listening to Pandora or Sirius/XM anyway. 

Just think of all that space you will gain by not having stacks of CD's kicking around in the truck   

13 hours ago, 1972Mach1 said:

I hate proprietary iTunes.  Android is much more easier and without the interference of Apple. I'd just rip the songs that I want onto a thumb drive in the correct file type and call it good. 

iTunes is a pile of hot garbage .. at least it was when I gave up on it many many years ago.   Ripping CDs is a dying thing now.  "All the kids" just want to stream music now. 

16 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

I did a search, not extensive but couldn't really find much discussion on Ford removing CD player from entertainment system.  I didn't realize my new truck wasn't going to have a CD player until the day I took delivery, salesman looked at me like I was from another planet.  Now I have a $%^& load of CDs and no way to play them.  Are any of you also surprised and if you like CDs or your collection, how are you able to listen now, download to iTunes and save to phone?

man you gotta get with the times, CD player was deleted in 2019

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Monoman said:

iTunes is a pile of hot garbage .. at least it was when I gave up on it many many years ago.   Ripping CDs is a dying thing now.  "All the kids" just want to stream music now. 

apples iTunes works great if you know how to use it 

16 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

I did a search, not extensive but couldn't really find much discussion on Ford removing CD player from entertainment system.  I didn't realize my new truck wasn't going to have a CD player until the day I took delivery, salesman looked at me like I was from another planet.  Now I have a $%^& load of CDs and no way to play them.  Are any of you also surprised and if you like CDs or your collection, how are you able to listen now, download to iTunes and save to phone?

Had a CD player in the 2016 F-350, but DW's 2019 Escape doesn't have one either.

About 15 yrs ago, I uploaded all my CD's and 33/45's onto a 1TB external drive. I can use the external drive, load some onto a memory stick, or DW's old ipod. All work fine in the truck. We also use Spotify with DW's phone.

The 2018 Expedition had a CD player, my 2019 Expedition doesn't, but if you takeoff the center trim the slot for where the player goes is still there, they just didn't put the player in and didn't cut a slot in the trim.  I don't miss it. 

To show how obsolete CD's are, my dad gave my son his old 2002 F-150.  It had the 6 disc changer in it.  My son didn't even know what the heck it was for.  While cleaning it we opened it and popped out the cartridge, he gave the whole thing to his grandpa, didn't understand that he only needed the discs inside the cartridge.  Still trying to decide if we will keep the factory system in that or not.  I think for safety purposes I would rather have a new system with bluetooth, but it is kind of cool from a nostalgia standpoint to have the old system with the changer.

1 hour ago, Monoman said:

Never had a problem with iTunes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Never had a problem with iTunes.

I have a very large collection of digital music in various formats stored on a server which iTunes could not handle. ... those factors aside, as an "IT professional" the iTunes interface was one of the worst end user experiences and a cause of too much stress.  YMMV

Sorry for the derail. 

Edited by Monoman

1 hour ago, Monoman said:

I have a very large collection of digital music in various formats stored on a server which iTunes could not handle. ... those factors aside, as an "IT professional" the iTunes interface was one of the worst end user experiences and a cause of too much stress.  YMMV

Sorry for the derail. 

I think you can use VLC with CarPlay and Android Auto. Might be worth looking into 

• Like 1

well damn, I had no idea the CD player was dead.  Both of my kids listen to music from their iPhone, i don't like the idea of using my phone for music because of using up so much memory, but I guess I need to wake up and smell the coffee.  My son ripped my CDs today and put on flash drive, I haven't had a chance yet to try it out, I'll report back when I awake from suspended animation, I think I've been traveling thru deep space for 10 years and just coming back to earth.  Thanks to all that chimed in and commented.

Disclaimer... I very much remember being pelted with Abba & The Bee Gees via 8-track as an impressionable youth.  God bless El Camino's

[F*ck, really?   Wow... I guess I am, uh... sh*t... the grey hair makes sense, now... G*damn kids get off my lawn!]

Seriously, I was kinda floored (5 years ago)  that my '14 F150 still had a mini frisbee slot 

Edited by stevenc

Ha ha…. Funny thread…..  My 8 tracks and cassettes will be resurrected some day ! ! !    My 2020 F350 does not have a CD player…. I don't even miss it, with Pandora, ITunes, Sirius, and especially now with Apple car play, you don't even have to plug a wire into your phone to connect…

The flashdrive in the USB port is an excellent way to go.   I don't use my phone for music.   I just leave the flashdrive in the USB port all the time and access the songs or playlists by voice.   It is a pretty simple process to rip the music from a CD and then copy it to the flashdrive.    It works well with Ford's sync system as well as the I-Drive system in my BMW. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

okay, I'm now up to speed, I'm using my USB slot in compartment in console to listen to music my son ripped from CDs to flash drive, works great as others mentioned.  I like this much better than a single CD drive, just takes a bit of time to rip the CDs but only have to do it once, after that you can copy to flash drive quickly or move from one flash drive to another one.  I also noticed can't switch from one search method to another while driving but you can select songs one same album, but you can use voice command to find a song.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

okay, I'm now up to speed, I'm using my USB slot in compartment in console to listen to music my son ripped from CDs to flash drive, works great as others mentioned.  I like this much better than a single CD drive, just takes a bit of time to rip the CDs but only have to do it once, after that you can copy to flash drive quickly or move from one flash drive to another one.  I also noticed can't switch from one search method to another while driving but you can select songs one same album, but you can use voice command to find a song.

That made me remember this....

My best friend bought the Harley Davidson f150 truck years back. He was so exited to show me the truck and all options it had, so the wife, kids and I drove to his town about 1h20mins away to go eat dinner with him and his family. As soon as we got to the restraunt he pulled me out of the restraunt to his new fancy truck.  "Heat and ac seats, power running boards and check this out.....VOICE COMMAND!?"

So he proceeded to demonstrate....

....well his West Virginia mountain accent was so strong that the truck could not understand one single thing he requested. For 5 mins he tried and tried and tried.

"Welllll hold on a dang min..it worked at the house"

.....5 more minutes later (SpongeBob reference)

He gave up and was upset at his new fancy truck...because "the damn truck just doesn't understand english"

?????

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

You can tell it to just play random songs on the drive. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:09 PM, 1972Mach1 said:

I hate proprietary iTunes.  Android is much more easier and without the interference of Apple. I'd just rip the songs that I want onto a thumb drive in the correct file type and call it good. 

Why not just play the music from Apple CarPlay?  If you have Verizon and depending on the plan, you can download tons of music for free. I have tons of Pink Floyd! Also, many old Beach Boys, Dave Clark Five, The Turtles to name a few on 8-track!

On 5/14/2022 at 7:52 PM, 787Toolman said:

did you say "it" because you're not sure of truck's voice gender?  Mine sounds female, but that's just me, haha...

I consider Automatics to be female and M/T to male. However, I was referring to the infotainment center which is neutral until it self identifies.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, 4thTimer said:

I consider Automatics to be female and M/T to male. However, I was referring to the infotainment center which is neutral until it self identifies.

My wife would disagree with that statement with her M/T Challenger :)

If you don't treat her right, she will resist, buck, and even stall.

• Haha 3