Ford Thunderbird Being Considered As Possible Corvette Rival

51 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Not really....consider the fact that you can recharge your car every night at home...

For local driving under 250 miles per day.  More than 250 or away from home and you must use public charging.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

For local driving under 250 miles per day.  More than 250 or away from home and you must use public charging.

But at the same time how many times do you drive that much in a single drive? I get some people will, but for the vast majority of people its going to work and running errands

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But at the same time how many times do you drive that much in a single drive? I get some people will, but for the vast majority of people its going to work and running errands

The last T-Bird was a favorite among seniors. In fact, my retirement community is full of last generation T-Birds and C8 Corvettes. Seniors have the bucks and spend it on expensive vehicles. So if there is a new T-Bird, most buyers will be seniors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

Long trips or not, I can get a full tank of gas in 5 minutes or less and have more than twice the range.  Charging time is a major concern and barrier to EV adoption IMHO.

With fast charging, a lot of batteries can go from 10-80% in 10-20 mins. You plug in, you use the restroom, but something from the store, and stretch out. Once you come back, the car will be close to fully charged. If you've ever been in a road trip with a lot of people, especially kids and older people, you'd know stops rarely last less than 15-20 mins.

18 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

With fast charging, a lot of batteries can go from 10-80% in 10-20 mins. You plug in, you use the restroom, but something from the store, and stretch out. Once you come back, the car will be close to fully charged. If you've ever been in a road trip with a lot of people, especially kids and older people, you'd know stops rarely last less than 15-20 mins.

I agree IF fast chargers were as plentiful and available as a gas pump.  But right now they’re nowhere close.  We’ll get there eventually.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That’s why they’re great as a second vehicle but if I was using that vehicle for several long trips per year and/or trips to the boonies where public chargers are few and far between I would not want that inconvenience and neither would most drivers.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s why they’re great as a second vehicle but if I was using that vehicle for several long trips per year and/or trips to the boonies where public chargers are few and far between I would not want that inconvenience and neither would most drivers.

True-given what I do for driving, it would work for me 90% of the time. 

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

Long trips or not, I can get a full tank of gas in 5 minutes or less and have more than twice the range.  Charging time is a major concern and barrier to EV adoption IMHO.

Not to mention, most people I've talked to don't really drive long distances every single day. I mean for crying out loud, we drive more than most of the people we know, and our almost 6 year old explorer only has about 21k miles on it. Everything we need is within a mile or two of us for the most part, so there's no need to drive long distances. It's  convenient, it basically means our car will last forever because it's hardly being driven, and it saves us money on fuel costs. I could see why evs might make awhile for people living in rural areas, but everywhere else, they should dominate with enough time.

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

I agree IF fast chargers were as plentiful and available as a gas pump.  But right now they’re nowhere close.  We’ll get there eventually.

Agreed, ev infastructure has come along way over the past decade. But it still has a ways to go. Out of curiosity, I looked it up, as of 2021, there were a little over 108,000 public charging stations throughout the US. Compared to about 145,000 gas stations. 

17 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Agreed, ev infastructure has come along way over the past decade. But it still has a ways to go. Out of curiosity, I looked it up, as of 2021, there were a little over 108,000 public charging stations throughout the US. Compared to about 145,000 gas stations. 

Ive said this before but the closest public chargers of any kind to my hometown in rural GA is 45 miles and almost none of the homes have a 220 outlet for charging,  That yields only about 150 local driving miles per full charge and a 2 hour round trip.  Non starter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

The last T-Bird was a favorite among seniors. In fact, my retirement community is full of last generation T-Birds and C8 Corvettes. Seniors have the bucks and spend it on expensive vehicles. So if there is a new T-Bird, most buyers will be seniors.

That last T-Bird wasn't good at anything except being a retro convertible cruiser.  

I don't think the Thunderbird name precludes younger buyers at all...it's about the product.  

And with a name like Thunderbird it's begging to be a high performance EV, IMO.  

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

so In this instance, gas station presumably means the whole thing….I.e. each station has lets say an average of 4 pumps, so 580,000 pumps.   Is it the same when referring to charging stations (as in a rest stop is “1” station, but has 4 chargers), or is that referring to a single vehicle charger?   I have a feeling it’s the latter.

21 minutes ago, ESP08 said:

That last T-Bird wasn't good at anything except being a retro convertible cruiser.  

I don't think the Thunderbird name precludes younger buyers at all...it's about the product.  

And with a name like Thunderbird it's begging to be a high performance EV, IMO.  

I’m picturing an ad where there’s a lightning bolt that strikes, and then you hear thunder and a bird starts flying around, and then out of the fog/clouds comes the new Thunderbird flying down the road toward the camera, and then it slowly pans around the whole vehicle until you’re at an upper rear 3/4 view and then it zips off with lightning coming off of it, and thunder noises as the ad ends.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I’m picturing an ad where there’s a lightning bolt that strikes, and then you hear thunder and a bird starts flying around, and then out of the fog/clouds comes the new Thunderbird flying down the road toward the camera, and then it slowly pans around the whole vehicle until you’re at an upper rear 3/4 view and then it zips off with lightning coming off of it, and thunder noises as the ad ends.

I had almost the exact same mental image.   

It almost seems to write itself...   

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

The number I saw was a little over 109,000 public charging ports.  The article I read (dated August 2019) didn’t mention the number of locations, but the number of locations would be significantly less than 109,000.  The number of gas pumps would be significantly higher than the 145,000 gas stations. It appears that the author was incorrectly comparing charging ports, not locations, to gas stations. 

I don’t expect the number of charging locations to match the number of gas stations, but I don’t think it is necessary to have that many charging locations. 

• Like 1

Since Ford went with the Lightning name on the electric F150, I'll make the supposition that the Thunderbird will be electric.  Since Thunder goes with Lightning.

That's based solely on what the hair on my ass is currently telling me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

Since Ford went with the Lightning name on the electric F150, I'll make the supposition that the Thunderbird will be electric.  Since Thunder goes with Lightning.

Your supposition makes sense 92Merc. Not only because of the thunder and lightning connection, but also because GM confirmed an all-electric Corvette will be coming out in the next few years. If Ford does come out with a new Thunderbird as a Corvette rival, it will almost certainly be positioned against Corvette EV.

Edited by rperez817

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It's 1977 again............

LOL

-Ovaltine

Capture.PNG

Edited by Ovaltine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ovaltine said:

It's 1977 again............

LOL

-Ovaltine

Capture.PNG

With today’s BEV  tech, imagine the solar panels you could put on the hood and roof….

As. BEV, the frunk alone would make it a winning design 

Edited by jpd80
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Wouldn’t a better comparison be chargers compared to pumps?  I’m pretty sure the charging station number is the number of charges, not locations to charge.  Also need to factor in the throughput of how much time is spent at the pump vs charger.  Home charging for daily driving takes some of the load off public charges, but not for trips.

11 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Not to mention, most people I've talked to don't really drive long distances every single day. I mean for crying out loud, we drive more than most of the people we know, and our almost 6 year old explorer only has about 21k miles on it. Everything we need is within a mile or two of us for the most part, so there's no need to drive long distances. It's  convenient, it basically means our car will last forever because it's hardly being driven, and it saves us money on fuel costs. I could see why evs might make awhile for people living in rural areas, but everywhere else, they should dominate with enough time.

The domination is assuming EVs are cost effective.  For a mile or two, walking or biking is cheaper and healthier.  With working from home on a regular basis, my desire for a cheap electric commuter car has diminished.  A fun toy and road trip vehicle is where it is at.  Plug in hybrid seems to fit the bill.  Electric for the short trips around town and gas for the longer trips.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2022 at 10:09 AM, silvrsvt said:

Not really....consider the fact that you can recharge your car every night at home...

This!

I don't know how much more convenient it can get that not having to drive somewhere to fuel the car. Unless you make long trips, this is a great advantage.

• Like 1