Raptor R Confirmed with 5.2L V8

11 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Oh good so Ford is only duplicating what Ram did over a year ago but with one less liter of displacement. 
Guys you know some people hear cubic inches more than they hear horsepower. 
Unless Ford does something special I’m disappointed. 
Get your warranty tickets out boys. 

When the Raptor R runs off and leaves the TRX for dead in those YouTube drag races (which it will) nobody will care about displacement.  

12 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Oh good so Ford is only duplicating what Ram did over a year ago but with one less liter of displacement. 

Guys you know some people hear cubic inches more than they hear horsepower. 

Unless Ford does something special I’m disappointed. 

Since when is 730 hp not special?  

You have a severe case of confirmation bias.  You have a small group of friends who all like the same things so you assume everybody wants what you want.  

Ford replaced the 4.6L, 5.4L and 6.2L v8s in the f150 with a 3.5L eb, 3.7L v6 and 5.0L v8 then added a 2.7L eb.  Drastic reduction in cubic inches.  Massive improvement in power and fuel economy.  Did anybody miss the 5.4 or 6.2L?  Nope.  Sales skyrocketed.  Displacement no longer matters in the grand scheme.  In fact it’s a detriment due to weight and fuel economy.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, akirby said:

Since when is 730 hp not special?  

You have a severe case of confirmation bias.  You have a small group of friends who all like the same things so you assume everybody wants what you want.  

Ford replaced the 4.6L, 5.4L and 6.2L v8s in the f150 with a 3.5L eb, 3.7L v6 and 5.0L v8 then added a 2.7L eb.  Drastic reduction in cubic inches.  Massive improvement in power and fuel economy.  Did anybody miss the 5.4 or 6.2L?  Nope.  Sales skyrocketed.  Displacement no longer matters in the grand scheme.  In fact it’s a detriment due to weight and fuel economy.

BUT IT NEEDS TO HAVE 7000 Ci ENGINE OR ABSOLUTE TRASH 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

The people who assume engine size is still the best way to make a performance engine are the same people who think evs are slow, or that manuals will destroy autos at the race track. Durability shouldn't be an issue on these trucks. It seems like they delayed them specifically to make sure there wouldn't be any major durability issues upon launch. 

You didn’t understand me I don’t think. 

Ford will sell every one of these mall crawlers. 

Dang! I wanted so much more out of this truck. 

Ford hasn’t played follow the leader in ten years and now their halo truck appears to be a magazine numbers chaser. 

If they sneak in a hybrid system or at the very least Pro Power On Board I will partially retract my statement. 

Right now they have followed the biggest mook truck right into the Pro Mall Cruiser Nationals. 

Yip yip yahoo!

48 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

So rumours of the special engine line closing down at the end of the year are now proven false, so I wonder if the 6.2 Boss hangs around a bit longer too…..

They’re moving it to Lima I believe. It was announced when the closure of Romeo was announced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They’re moving it to Lima I believe. It was announced when the closure of Romeo was announced. 

Thanks, I completely missed that important announcement.

So that mean whatever role the 6.8 fills is probably something aimed at different customers….

16 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Ford hasn’t played follow the leader in ten years and now their halo truck appears to be a magazine numbers chaser. 

If they sneak in a hybrid system or at the very least Pro Power On Board I will partially retract my statement. 

Right now they have followed the biggest mook truck right into the Pro Mall Cruiser Nationals. 

Yip yip yahoo!

Ford doesn't make a hybrid Mustang either...yet. If Ford  can make a few extra bucks with special editions, they'll have even more money for research in development for high tech. 

17 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Yip yip yahoo!

Youre just stuck on a big block naturally aspirated V8 without any regard to actual performance.  Which is fine as a personal preference but the other 99.99% of buyers don’t care nor should Ford.  Raptor was already in a class by itself and 760 hp keeps it on top.

Anyone disappointed by the Predator just can't be aware of their performance capabilities with just basic bolt-ons and a tune.  

These things can make 900-1000 rwhp easily all without ever cracking a cam cover and with stock-like drivability.  

The Predator is bad... and yes they make power easier than the larger Hellcat mod-for-mod.  

• Like 1

The engine weight is roughly 125lbs more than the 3.5TT. As long as they don't add too much more weight to support the extra power it should stay at least 500lbs  less than TRX. 

So have the final power ratings been leaked? I'd say at least 710/650. Fill ups will probably be frequent and painful but if you can afford the FU money to buy, you probably don't care.

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

The engine weight is roughly 125lbs more than the 3.5TT. As long as they don't add too much more weight to support the extra power it should stay at least 500lbs  less than TRX. 

So have the final power ratings been leaked? I'd say at least 710/650. Fill ups will probably be frequent and painful but if you can afford the FU money to buy, you probably don't care.

Mustang is 760/625 but I could see them tuning the Raptor version differently

Edited by akirby

20 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Yip yip yahoo!

Well the 6.8 likely won't be capable of surpassing the performance you can get with the 5.2. Also, I've noticed you've talked a lot about durablity and longevity. The 5.2 has been out for years now and appears to be pretty rock solid. Not to mention all the changes ford engineers certainly made to it for the raptor that will ensure that durability isn't an issue. I'd actually be more concerned about the longevity of the raptor r used a 6.8 hybrid as you suggested. Because almost everything about that design would be new with unknown durability. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2022 at 1:32 PM, DeluxeStang said:

I'd actually be more concerned about the longevity of the raptor r used a 6.8 hybrid as you suggested. Because almost everything about that design would be new with unknown durability. 

The 6.2 was just as much of an unknown when it was introduced in the Raptor, as was the EB35 when it was introduced in the F-150, and the 3.5HO when it went into the Raptor. And the Coyote, for that matter, was a brand new mill attached to a brand new transmission when it first rolled off the production line. Heck, Ford made a big deal about the durability of the EB35 when it first went into the F-150 even though it had no track record at all as a production mill.

Guys the blower is the critical item. It relies on a huge amount of close tolerance “swept area”. Unless they put helicopter filters in this thing it’s going to be a boondoggle. 

……and for what? To eek out slightly better acceleration numbers than a Dodge? What happens when Dodge responds in kind? You think they can’t twist out 800hp?

See Mopar has an advantage here. That advantage is bore centers. The 5.2 is stretched to the absolute limit because there simply isn’t enough meat to hold a head gasket between the cylinders. 

Ford made the wrong decision from an engineering standpoint in my opinion. Now maybe they’re just finding a place to amortize the cost of the Predator engine. I get that but it ain’t gonna work if you’re spotting the competition a full liter of displacement due to bore restrictions. 

So blower sensitivity to dirt problems aside figure in massive costly measures to make that thing live, you’re still inherently causing yourself a problem. 

I the case of the Dodge their hemi is actually available in a larger bore 6.4 liter N/A version. When they went to the Hellcat stuff they took the bore out to provide more meat between the cylinders to facilitate better head gasket retention. 

As I said before Ford built in their own handicap and at 3.6” bore size the Predator is at the max limit for any kind of reliability. 

This would’ve been a better truck and far superior to Dodge if an N/A engine was selected and coupled to a hybrid/10 speed drive system. 

No one would have been able to touch Ford for years. Instead like I said you’ll get good magazine numbers and mall crawler status.