Raptor R Confirmed with 5.2L V8

Ok, gorgeous truck.. wish I could afford one.  But one thing drives me nuts.  The "Raptor" decals on the sides of the bed.  It just says Raptor and the last R is red.. so Rapto R or is it Raptor.  

And on the passenger side, the first R is red instead of the last one.  This would drive me nuts looking at it every day

Edited by blwnsmoke

Hey guys should we read anything into the fact that there were no under hood shots shared today? (if I’m not mistaken)

I saw hoods go up but the camera never moved in. Can’t have anything to do with the air filtration system that was never mentioned nor probably not finalized. 

I saw the engine on a stand in plenty of videos today but nothing of what it looks like down in the engine bay. 

Chrysler’s  TRX engine is completely covered with air filter. I was interested in seeing Ford’s solution. 

Notice no reviewer asked about air filtration on camera? Approximate power and torque figures were given but I personally don’t think that elaborate air induction system is finalized. This was a big topic of discussion when the TRX came out. 

Weird huh?

Edited by Stray Kat

6 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Hey guys should we read anything into the fact that there were no under hood shots shared today? (if I’m not mistaken)

I saw hoods go up but the camera never moved in. Can’t have anything to do with the air filtration system that was never mentioned nor probably not finalized. 

I saw the engine on a stand in plenty of videos today but nothing of what it looks like down in the engine bay. 

Chrysler’s  TRX engine is completely covered with air filter. I was interested in seeing Ford’s solution. 

Notice no reviewer asked about air filtration on camera? Approximate power and torque figures were given but I personally don’t think that elaborate air induction system is finalized. This was a big topic of discussion when the TRX came out. 

Weird huh?

Blah, blah, blah…I’m going to speculate…die on this hill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Blah, blah, blah…I’m going to speculate…die on this hill

Okay jcw I don’t think I could’ve written out my point any nicer. I waited all day to watch every video available. 

There is obviously still an embargo on the engine compartment. 

Listen I want Ford to succeed as much as anybody. I’ve been a dyed in the wool Ford enthusiast all my life but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to point out what I think are problems or potential problems. 

I guess you guys are all getting a big kick out of me beating this drum but you know what? The engineers at Mopar think enough about the potential for engine damage through dust that they built an air filter housing fit for a helicopter. 

Andre from TFL took a deep dive into this Raptor R and the engine engineer gave all sorts of interesting details about the engine. I mean everything EXCEPT how ya gonna protect that supercharger in heavy dust conditions. 

I mean c’mon guys we heard about every detail including oil pan depth, exhaust manifold design and even the material they were made of. We heard about motor mounts and blower pulley sizing. 

Everything but the suction side of the airflow system. 

Hey, I’m happy to be wrong here. Please if you know more about this bring it to the fore now. 

At the moment though the most interesting part of that whole engine deal has been conspicuously left absent. 

1 hour ago, Stray Kat said:

Okay jcw I don’t think I could’ve written out my point any nicer. I waited all day to watch every video available. 

There is obviously still an embargo on the engine compartment. 

Listen I want Ford to succeed as much as anybody. I’ve been a dyed in the wool Ford enthusiast all my life but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to point out what I think are problems or potential problems. 

I guess you guys are all getting a big kick out of me beating this drum but you know what? The engineers at Mopar think enough about the potential for engine damage through dust that they built an air filter housing fit for a helicopter. 

Andre from TFL took a deep dive into this Raptor R and the engine engineer gave all sorts of interesting details about the engine. I mean everything EXCEPT how ya gonna protect that supercharger in heavy dust conditions. 

I mean c’mon guys we heard about every detail including oil pan depth, exhaust manifold design and even the material they were made of. We heard about motor mounts and blower pulley sizing. 

Everything but the suction side of the airflow system. 

Hey, I’m happy to be wrong here. Please if you know more about this bring it to the fore now. 

At the moment though the most interesting part of that whole engine deal has been conspicuously left absent. 

My guess is they were preproduction versions and the compartment was probably not in production form. Simple as that.

From Motor Trend:

"Breathing is also improved with a new conical air filter that improves airflow by 66 percent."

So to answer your question, it sounds like it will have an air filter. Also, it sounds like they spent time engineering one for this application. Maybe now you can stop freaking out about air filtration. Unless you're an engineer that thinks they know more than Ford does about air filtration/air intakes, you should probably stop squawking about sand and dirt blowing up these engines. You come off as a troll that has "facts" from the alternate reality in which they live.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

My guess is they were preproduction versions and the compartment was probably not in production form. Simple as that.

From Motor Trend:

"Breathing is also improved with a new conical air filter that improves airflow by 66 percent."

So to answer your question, it sounds like it will have an air filter. Also, it sounds like they spent time engineering one for this application. Maybe now you can stop freaking out about air filtration. Unless you're an engineer that thinks they know more than Ford does about air filtration/air intakes, you should probably stop squawking about sand and dirt blowing up these engines. You come off as a troll that has "facts" from the alternate reality in which they live.

Okay so that’s how it is huh? 

So I guess Pall Land & Marine, (a local government contractor here) is just wasting their time designing elaborate air filtration systems for military hardware destined to be used in desert and other dusty conditions?

I haven’t said a word since I made my point clear a few months ago. Yesterday was the reveal and the one area that is critical to the success or failure of such a product was not even discussed. 

Make of it what you will. I’m sure engineering has it figured out but it is no simple solution. (Read that as expensive)

Why do you think this thing is 105 grand?

21 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

Okay so that’s how it is huh? 

So I guess Pall Land & Marine, (a local government contractor here) is just wasting their time designing elaborate air filtration systems for military hardware destined to be used in desert and other dusty conditions?

I haven’t said a word since I made my point clear a few months ago. Yesterday was the reveal and the one area that is critical to the success or failure of such a product was not even discussed. 

Make of it what you will. I’m sure engineering has it figured out but it is no simple solution. (Read that as expensive)

Why do you think this thing is 105 grand?

You've complained since day one of finding out it was the GT500 engine. Making assertions about filtration and not being durable. Glossing over other manufactures make these types of engines and they don't blow up. Merely giving opinions and not facts.

It's 109K and it's not because of the air filter they chose. It's 109k because it's loaded, (the 2 most important facts) people will pay it, and they will sell every single one they will make.

I am done trying to reason with unreasonable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Looks like a normal (but very large) air filtration system to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyb3kAgUjt8

Ram pretty clearly intended to make a functional hood scoop as the primary design criteria for that inlet system.  

Nothing special about it in the least as it uses pedestrian panel filters just every other OEM.  

If Ford wanted to one up them they should employ a large Donaldson Powercore filter that could easily provide drastically superior air filtration and and more flow with a less convoluted inlet tract.

https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engine/filters/products/air-intake/replacement-filters/powercore-filters/

4 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

You've complained since day one of finding out it was the GT500 engine. Making assertions about filtration and not being durable. Glossing over other manufactures make these types of engines and they don't blow up. Merely giving opinions and not facts.

It's 109K and it's not because of the air filter they chose. It's 109k because it's loaded, (the 2 most important facts) people will pay it, and they will sell every single one they will make.

I am done trying to reason with unreasonable. 

C’est la vie 

22 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Ok, gorgeous truck.. wish I could afford one.  But one thing drives me nuts.  The "Raptor" decals on the sides of the bed.  It just says Raptor and the last R is red.. so Rapto R or is it Raptor.  

And on the passenger side, the first R is red instead of the last one.  This would drive me nuts looking at it every day

I agree that was an odd design choice, though I do understand not wanting to do a RAPTORR sticker.

my guess for the colored R’s is that they wanted the rear-most R on the body to be emphasized as an R model. I.e instead of a single R there like they place FX4 designations there, it gets that plus Raptor

again I get the logic but it’s odd looking 

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I agree that was an odd design choice, though I do understand not wanting to do a RAPTORR sticker.

my guess for the colored R’s is that they wanted the rear-most R on the body to be emphasized as an R model. I.e instead of a single R there like they place FX4 designations there, it gets that plus Raptor

again I get the logic but it’s odd looking 

But it's not an R Raptor, It's a Raptor R.  To me if they are going to emphasize the R now which they are going with the badges at the end with a red R, they should have stayed consistant and kept the last R red on both sides.

Again, this would drive me nuts seeing it all the time.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:06 AM, blwnsmoke said:

Ford Performance tradition of dual-purpose "R"s like on the Bronco R Baja racer.  At least the Raptor R grille got a dedicated "R". 
2020_B1K_Bronco_R-9159.jpg