Shipping

mitch42

Anyone have a reason it is taking so long for vehicles to ship after being produced. I think that 2 months after production is a long time and still do not know how long after it ships it will take to get to dealer. I know things are crazy right now but Ford seems to have some issues. I have been tracking other vehicles on another forum and some seem to ship days after production and others it takes months

TIA

55 minutes ago, mitch42 said:

Anyone have a reason it is taking so long for vehicles to ship after being produced. I think that 2 months after production is a long time and still do not know how long after it ships it will take to get to dealer. I know things are crazy right now but Ford seems to have some issues. I have been tracking other vehicles on another forum and some seem to ship days after production and others it takes months

TIA

There is no simple answer due to a multitude of factors involved. Ford's ETA estimates are using a longer timespan and storage sites are capacity strained. There are tremendous record keeping requirements and logistics involved, complicated by all the tens of thousands of vehicles in storage for microchip and other issues. Visitors and forum members online are quick to speculate comparing their vehicles to other similar units but every vehicle has its own commodity and parts requirements. Your Dealer has 24/7 access to the Vehicle Visibility reporting system which includes that latest status information including whether your vehicle is being held specifically for the microchip issue.  

• Like 2

Mine is not on any kind of hold it was completed around 3/23 and the ship date has been changed about 4 times so far. My dealer called me last week and said It should arrive this week. This morning I get another email from Ford bumping it out again this time to 5/29- 6/4. Just wondering whats going on. I have no microchip issues unless they are tied to the trains that pick up in Dearborn

Similar situation, mine was built 4/2 and on 4/5 an said it was shipped and headed to my dealer. I have received 3 delay emails and now scheduled for 24 - 30 May. It has been sitting in Shelbyville this whole time and hasn't moved.  

2 hours ago, mitch42 said:

Mine is not on any kind of hold it was completed around 3/23 and the ship date has been changed about 4 times so far. My dealer called me last week and said It should arrive this week. This morning I get another email from Ford bumping it out again this time to 5/29- 6/4. Just wondering whats going on. I have no microchip issues unless they are tied to the trains that pick up in Dearborn

If there are no holds on the vehicle, there are a number of different shipping and transit delays in effect. The Vehicle Visibility Report will show the reason for any transportation delays. 

1 hour ago, crozdub115 said:

Received an email from Ford on 5/12 indicating my F150 Tremor was built and awaiting shipment. Then received another email 2 days ago stating the new ETA has been updated to between July 18, 2022, and July 24, 2022.

Talk to your Dealer. The Vehicle Visibility Report will show the reason for any shipping delays if related to the new, additional reporting statuses.   

Ford_Vehicle Visibility Delivery Status for Delays_2022-03-07_Delivery Milestones.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Talk to your Dealer. The Vehicle Visibility Report will show the reason for any shipping delays if related to the new, additional reporting statuses.   

Ford_Vehicle Visibility Delivery Status for Delays_2022-03-07_Delivery Milestones.jpg

Thank you Ice for posting this, my dealer said my delay was detailed as a "rail carrier" delay.

23 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Thank You. Latest Visibility report update states Delay-Plant Hold, with an ETA May 18- 24, but the previous line update just below it says Released with an ETA July 18-24.

Not sure how it goes from being Released with a Late July ETA to a Delay with an ETA of next week.

Finally got in touch w someone at Ford, and confirmed the visibility report as Plant Hold and shows the same ETA 5/24. Also confirmed no chip hold issue any more. He indicated he saw the delay as something to do w 'packaging/foam'? Seems weird, but maybe some sort of protection during transport at some point? Hopefully it updates to shipping by 5/24.

3 hours ago, mitch42 said:

Truck has been waiting on shipping 61 days now. That is a long time and still do not know when it will ship

I went on ford website chat and they weren't able to provide much info, but they gave me a phone number to call. I don't have the number any longer, but the guy was pretty helpful in regards to the delay. Of course today is the last day of my ETA, and it still is awaiting shipment.

My truck has been sitting at the Orlando trucking depot for 3 weeks now (Order date 9/21/21.)  They keep kicking the delivery date down the road.  Orlando is a 3-hour drive and I've paid for the truck and done all of the paperwork.  If they would let me, I would go get it and deliver it to the dealership.

I think Ford should give the depots 5 days to deliver the vehicle.  If they miss the date, the dealer should be allowed to pick up the vehicle.  Any shipping payments due to the depot would go to the dealer.  Crappy service should have consequences.  

-G

What has been really eye opening for me is just how fragile the infrastructures are for businesses in America. I am no expert but for 57 years the trains have been running just fine, now all of a sudden they lack rail cars or people to move freight and vehicles. Are they being asked to ship more vehicles now than before Covid or has Covid become the "cover" for all of their current failures? All we hear for US to be flexible, how about Ford follow that advice as well, be flexible and let customers pick-up their vehicles at the factory or come up with a solution to this mess. Stop blaming and start fixing! If they had to reduce the sale price of their vehicle by a $1,000 bucks for every week that they sit at the rail yards we would all have our vehicles as soon as they are built. But since there isn't any negative impact to Ford they won't change a thing. Rant over, frustration continues.

• Like 1

I know times are crazy right now. My truck was completed on 3/23 with no holds. It was supposed to ship 4/29-5/5 then went to 5/14-5/20 and now 5/29-6/4. Do not know if that is shipping date or when its expected to arrive at dealer. I sold my truck mid April expecting it to be here. Now I am begging and borrowing rides. Hopefully it will make it and not get changed again. Ford should have some way to let dealerships arrange their own shipping if they cannot get them out when first projected

On 3/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, ice-capades said:

Edited by mitch42
trying to get rid of lower content
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 4:36 PM, rlp450 said:

What has been really eye opening for me is just how fragile the infrastructures are for businesses in America. I am no expert but for 57 years the trains have been running just fine, now all of a sudden they lack rail cars or people to move freight and vehicles. Are they being asked to ship more vehicles now than before Covid or has Covid become the "cover" for all of their current failures? All we hear for US to be flexible, how about Ford follow that advice as well, be flexible and let customers pick-up their vehicles at the factory or come up with a solution to this mess. Stop blaming and start fixing! If they had to reduce the sale price of their vehicle by a $1,000 bucks for every week that they sit at the rail yards we would all have our vehicles as soon as they are built. But since there isn't any negative impact to Ford they won't change a thing. Rant over, frustration continues.

Based on actual experience with rail carriers, they've not been running fine until now. Ice Capades used to transport the cast, staff, stage sets, audio and lighting equipment, costumes, etc. by rail exclusively from 1940 up until the show was bought by Metromedia in 1963. Afterwards, cast and staff would travel via bus or plane depending on the distance between engagements. Those of us on staff that drove the tours throughout the U.S. and Canada did so at our own expense. The show's equipment (stage sets, audio and lighting equipment, costumes, etc.) continued to be transported until the end of the 1977 tours. Specialty equipment (refrigeration) always shipped by truck but after 1977 everything shipped by truck in a brand-new fleet of International Transtar II's with custom Fruehauf 45' trailers. When I left the show, there were close to 30 trucks on the road traveling between close to 90 cities for 3 different tours. 

I was one of four members of the "Wagon Crew" that was responsible for supervising, loading, unloading and transporting more than a dozen custom Fruehauf show trailers from the rail sidings to the various arenas, civic centers and coliseums in each city.

The change from rail to trucks was specifically because the railroads were so undependable and couldn't guarantee a delivery day or time. In cities where the show did a one-week engagement, the show did 9-10 performances from Tuesday through Sunday nights. The stagehand call at the building was at 8:00am Tuesday morning to move the show in for opening that night. Packing the show up actually started during the last performance on Sunday night after which we'd transport the show trailers back to the rail siding to load into our 4 custom rail cars. Mondays were usually a travel day for the company, otherwise a day off when we were playing a 10-14+ day engagement. 

On my last tour, we finished loading the rail cars in Detroit at about 4:00am prior to them being tagged to the train going to St. Louis for our next stop. That "move out" was tough, the weather was lousy and there was a lot of salty language between us wishing the train would derail. Sure enough, after we'd left, the railroad moved the cars and they derailed in the yard with the cars ending up in about 8' of mud, etc. The railroad had to use cranes to lift the cars back up, etc. The show's company manager got greeted at the St. Louis airport with the news along with one of the Wagon Crew members that travelled with the company. They caught the next flight back to Detroit to inspect for damage, supervise, etc. I found out when I pulled into the hotel in St. Louis. The railroad arranged to ship all the show's equipment by truck and said that they had arranged to have two drivers for each truck so that they could drive straight through to deliver everything on time in St. Louis. Everything made it on time except for the truck with all the costumes, thanks to it only having a single driver that got stopped. As such we missed our opening night in St. Louis!

Ice Capades_Wagon Cars_Blue_480.jpg

Ice Capades_Wagon Car_1977_480.jpg

Ice Capades_Trucks_1977_480.jpg

Edited by ice-capades
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 3/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, ice-capades said:

Another issue with these delays for the consumer is that interest rates are going up everyday that we are waiting on Ford to get our vehicles out to us. My local credit union car rates have gone up almost 2 percent since my first so called delivery date. Thats going to cost people over $3000 just for having to wait and probably more than that because they are still going up. 

22 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Based on actual experience with rail carriers, they've not been running fine until now. Ice Capades used to transport the cast, staff, stage sets, audio and lighting equipment, costumes, etc. by rail exclusively from 1940 up until the show was bought by Metromedia in 1963. Afterwards, cast and staff would travel via bus or plane depending on the distance between engagements. Those of us on staff that drove the tours throughout the U.S. and Canada did so at our own expense. The show's equipment (stage sets, audio and lighting equipment, costumes, etc.) continued to be transported until the end of the 1977 tours. Specialty equipment (refrigeration) always shipped by truck but after 1977 everything shipped by truck in a brand-new fleet of International Transtar II's with custom Fruehauf 45' trailers. When I eft the show, there were close to 30 trucks on the road traveling between close to 90 cities for 3 different tours. 

I was one of four members of the "Wagon Crew" that was responsible for supervising, loading, unloading and transporting more than a dozen custom Fruehauf show trailers from the rail sidings to the various arenas, civic centers and coliseums in each city.

The change from rail to trucks was specifically because the railroads were so undependable and couldn't guarantee a delivery day or time. In cities where the show did a one-week engagement, the show did 9-10 performances from Tuesday through Sunday nights. The stagehand call at the building was at 8:00am Tuesday morning to move the show in for opening that night. Packing the show up actually started during the last performance on Sunday night after which we'd transport the show trailers back to the rail siding to load into our 4 custom rail cars. Mondays were usually a travel day for the company, otherwise a day off when we were playing a 10-14+ day engagement. 

On my last tour, we finished loading the rail cars in Detroit at about 4:00am prior to them being tagged to the train going to St. Louis for our next stop. That "move out" was tough, the weather was lousy and there was a lot of salty language between us wishing the train would derail. Sure enough, after we'd left, the railroad moved the cars and they derailed in the yard with the cars ending up in about 8' of mud, etc. The railroad had to use cranes to lift the cars back up, etc. The show's company manager got greeted at the St. Louis airport with the news along with one of the Wagon Crew members that travelled with the company. They caught the next flight back to Detroit to inspect for damage, supervise, etc. I found out when I pulled into the hotel in St. Louis. The railroad arranged to ship all the show's equipment by truck and said that they had arranged to have two drivers for each truck so that they could drive straight through to deliver everything on time in St. Louis. Everything made it on time except for the truck with all the costumes, thanks to it only having a single driver that got stopped. As such we missed our opening night in St. Louis!

Ice Capades_Wagon Cars_Blue_480.jpg

Ice Capades_Wagon Car_1977_480.jpg

Ice Capades_Trucks_1977_480.jpg

The story and photos are fantastic, thank you for sharing. I remember living in the Los Angeles area in the 70's and I would see commercials for Ice Capades. This brought back some memories for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mitch42 said:

Another issue with these delays for the consumer is that interest rates are going up everyday that we are waiting on Ford to get our vehicles out to us. My local credit union car rates have gone up almost 2 percent since my first so called delivery date. Thats going to cost people over $3000 just for having to wait and probably more than that because they are still going up. 

I have my loan already from Navy Fed at 2.29% that is valid for 90 days, if my truck doesn't arrive before June 17th I will have to go back and get a new loan with the higher rates :( .

46 minutes ago, rlp450 said:

The story and photos are fantastic, thank you for sharing. I remember living in the Los Angeles area in the 70's and I would see commercials for Ice Capades. This brought back some memories for sure.

Ice Capades HQ at 6121 Santa Monica Boulevard, Hollywood, CA 90038. Little known secret... Ice Capades costume department actually produced the costumes for both Elvis and Liberace, as well as other shows in Las Vegas. 

Ice Capades_6121 Santa Monica Blvd_Hollywood, CA 90038.jpg

6121 Santa Monica Boulevard_480.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1