Ordered 2022 F250 Bumped to 2023 F250

I ordered a 2022 F250 Lariat in January 2022.  I was told it would take about 30 weeks. I paid my deposit but never received an order number or confirmation email.  After inquiring with the dealer,  I'm now being told that my 2022 was bumped to a 2023 because of all of the features I wanted.  Now the 2023 cannot be ordered until the 2023 order bank opens in July or September.  Does this sound right/reasonable? or did they somehow just not place my original order?

49 minutes ago, brag2017 said:

I ordered a 2022 F250 Lariat in January 2022.  I was told it would take about 30 weeks. I paid my deposit but never received an order number or confirmation email.  After inquiring with the dealer,  I'm now being told that my 2022 was bumped to a 2023 because of all of the features I wanted.  Now the 2023 cannot be ordered until the 2023 order bank opens in July or September.  Does this sound right/reasonable? or did they somehow just not place my original order?

Total BS from the Dealer. Ford does NOT just bump orders to the following Model Year. And since orders can't be placed until the 2023MY USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) actually opens, it's impossible for ANY 2023MY order to exist. In addition, Ford has not yet released the 2023MY Super Duty schedule, although at this point the model changeover will almost certainly be later than usual due to the backlog of unscheduled 2022MY retail orders. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dealer never even submitted your order and is now just trying to cover their tracks, etc. It would be interesting to see what documentation, including the Vehicle Visibility Report, they can provide showing your order was placed. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brag2017 said:

Total BS.  They either messed up your order or sold the truck to someone for a lot more money.  

Dealer told me today Ford identified several customer ordered trucks that will not be built MY22. He had to inform the customer their orders were cancelled. There is no option to carry over. Ford customer service insists all customer ordered trucks will be built by the end of MY22 and I don't believe it. I bet very soon dealers who have taken orders for more trucks than their final allocation will allow will be breaking the bad news. 

"Dealer told me..."

Yeah I'd be wary about anything a Dealer says.  Hell, my dealer told me that my order price may be higher because that's " what we've been dealing with ford lately."  When I sent the price protection info and who to call, I have received exactly ZERO response.  It's been a week or week and a half now.  

I'm about to start calling them "Stealership" again.... Or their local nickname, "Cheatin' Charile's"  LOL  

12 hours ago, mhubbardva said:

Dealer told me today Ford identified several customer ordered trucks that will not be built MY22. He had to inform the customer their orders were cancelled. There is no option to carry over. Ford customer service insists all customer ordered trucks will be built by the end of MY22 and I don't believe it. I bet very soon dealers who have taken orders for more trucks than their final allocation will allow will be breaking the bad news. 

If a truck does not get built, it is because of supply constraints, not allocation. I will take that bet. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mhubbardva said:

I suggest you may want to read previous posts to get an understanding of dealer allocations with respect to "Retail" orders. Dealers receive supplemental allocations for verified retail orders. If a truck isn't getting built, it is due to commodity restraints, plant capacity or dealer assigned priority codes.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, mhubbardva said:

That's wrong.  Customer ordered trucks do not affect dealer allocation.  In fact, they get an additional allocation if they have done it right.

• Like 2

• ice-capades changed the title to Ordered 2022 F250 Bumped to 2023 F250
  • 4 weeks later...

I would bet your order was placed and may have been built and the dealer sold it or will sell it at a mark up. It's possible Ford Customer Service can find out about your order for you and if it hasn't been sold yet, they can put your email on it so you get updates. 

On 5/20/2022 at 12:24 AM, ScottK1 said:

That's wrong.  Customer ordered trucks do not affect dealer allocation.  In fact, they get an additional allocation if they have done it right.

This is not true. Customer orders DO require allocation from Ford. The dealers do get additional allocation on some occasions but it is not tied directly to the number of customer orders. I have spoken multiple tomes with Dearborn and the regional Ford manager. She has no idea where customers get the idea that allocation is not effected by retail customer orders.

On 5/20/2022 at 12:24 AM, ScottK1 said:

On 5/19/2022 at 10:16 AM, Rangers09 said:

I suggest you may want to read previous posts to get an understanding of dealer allocations with respect to "Retail" orders. Dealers receive supplemental allocations for verified retail orders. If a truck isn't getting built, it is due to commodity restraints, plant capacity or dealer assigned priority codes.

I am not sure where your understanding originates. Retail orders are effected by allocations. There are supplemental allocations but are not tied directly to retail orders. Each week scheduling is done primarily based on commodity restraints and dealer allocation. How do you think some trucks are built and delivered in 10-12 weeks while identical trucks will sit unscheduled for months and months. Many of those old orders are moved to Priority 2 by Ford but still go unscheduled because the dealer does not have allocation. My order was recently moved to Priority 1 and designated "above dealer allocation" and it finally got scheduled. My dealer puts all retail orders in at Priority 10 which is the best priority the dealer can apply. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mhubbardva said:

I am not sure where your understanding originates. Retail orders are effected by allocations. There are supplemental allocations but are not tied directly to retail orders. Each week scheduling is done primarily based on commodity restraints and dealer allocation. How do you think some trucks are built and delivered in 10-12 weeks while identical trucks will sit unscheduled for months and months. Many of those old orders are moved to Priority 2 by Ford but still go unscheduled because the dealer does not have allocation. My order was recently moved to Priority 1 and designated "above dealer allocation" and it finally got scheduled. My dealer puts all retail orders in at Priority 10 which is the best priority the dealer can apply. 

I think people are confusing Allocation with Availability.  In the past each dealer got X allocation each week and orders were filled from that allocation.  If a dealer had 10 retail orders but no allocation that week nothing got built.  This was especially a problem for small dealers.

With COVP that changed.  Each COVP orders receives incremental allocation so allocation is never a constraint with COVP retail orders.

However, Ford has more retail orders than it can build each week, so the 8k or so trucks being scheduled each week (out of 100k+ in the order bank) have to be divvied up between 3000 dealers each week.  If a dealer only has 1 or 2 priority 2 orders (COVP) and those have been sitting at priority 2 more than a month or two, it’s a parts issue not allocation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mhubbardva said:

My understanding of the process comes from having read the multiple explanations from the moderators and others who work in the system for the past 10 months. 

Regarding dealer assigned priorities, yes 10 is the best a dealer can assign. However, all dealer USOB are considered as separate entities. The dealer assigned priority codes of 10 - 19 are only to advise Ford, in which order the dealer would like their orders scheduled, discounting commodity and plant restraints. Having your dealer assign every order at priority 19 is no different than assigning them all as 10.

If you are priority 10 at one dealer, it doesn't mean you are considered before a priority 11 at other dealers. By assigning all orders priority 10, your dealer isn't effectively managing their USOB and leaves the decision up to Ford, who probably selects the orders that are easiest to build.

While I started at priority 19, my dealer did effectively manage the USOB, so my priority dropped as trucks ahead of me were scheduled. 

• Like 3

On 6/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, akirby said:

I think people are confusing Allocation with Availability.  In the past each dealer got X allocation each week and orders were filled from that allocation.  If a dealer had 10 retail orders but no allocation that week nothing got built.  This was especially a problem for small dealers.

With COVP that changed.  Each COVP orders receives incremental allocation so allocation is never a constraint with COVP retail orders.

However, Ford has more retail orders than it can build each week, so the 8k or so trucks being scheduled each week (out of 100k+ in the order bank) have to be divvied up between 3000 dealers each week.  If a dealer only has 1 or 2 priority 2 orders (COVP) and those have been sitting at priority 2 more than a month or two, it’s a parts issue not allocation.

I was told 2 weeks ago by the executive office of Ford as well as the Ford Motor Company  Regional Manager Parts, Service and Sales Operations who I have come to know well since my F150 was literally lost for months last year that the COVP did not change the allocation requirement for each dealer. They are awarded additional allocations on occasion but they are not tied directly to COVP. She told me the only thing the COVP does is prioritize orders in front of fleet and inventory orders. I am driving a lemon 2021 F150 that has been repurchased by Ford and they have been trying to get my replacement scheduled. Finally an appeal to Dearborn to move the truck to Priority 1 and above the dealers allocation got the truck scheduled last week. I will admit commodities were part of the delay but dealer allocation was also part of the problem. 

COVP orders are not initially moved to Priority 2, they stay at the priority given them by the dealers. It takes an action on Fords part to move the order up to a 1 or 2. I have seen COVP orders sit at 10 for months and months and they remain unscheduled in priority by Ford. 

clean and do not get moved up 

52 minutes ago, mhubbardva said:

COVP orders are not initially moved to Priority 2, they stay at the priority given them by the dealers. It takes an action on Fords part to move the order up to a 1 or 2. I have seen COVP orders sit at 10 for months and months and they remain unscheduled in priority by Ford. 

This has been discussed numerous times by moderators who have 1st hand knowledge, as they work for Ford or a dealer.

2 hours ago, mhubbardva said:

I never said COVP was tied to priority.  It’s not.  I was saying if a priority 2 COVP order isn’t selected it’s because there are other priority 2s being selected first or the vehicle can’t be built.  

I was told 2 weeks ago by the executive office of Ford as well as the Ford Motor Company  Regional Manager Parts, Service and Sales Operations who I have come to know well since my F150 was literally lost for months last year that the COVP did not change the allocation requirement for each dealer. They are awarded additional allocations on occasion but they are not tied directly to COVP. She told me the only thing the COVP does is prioritize orders in front of fleet and inventory orders. I am driving a lemon 2021 F150 that has been repurchased by Ford and they have been trying to get my replacement scheduled. Finally an appeal to Dearborn to move the truck to Priority 1 and above the dealers allocation got the truck scheduled last week. I will admit commodities were part of the delay but dealer allocation was also part of the problem. 

You were told incorrectly.  Ford has issued multiple memos about COVP orders getting incremental allocations.  That’s the entire purpose of the COVP program.

As for prioritizing orders, the priority code already does that.  1 or 2 is assigned by Ford zone reps.  10-19 is retail and 20+ is stock.  Lowest priority is built first.

14 hours ago, akirby said:

You were told incorrectly.  Ford has issued multiple memos about COVP orders getting incremental allocations.  That’s the entire purpose of the COVP program.

As for prioritizing orders, the priority code already does that.  1 or 2 is assigned by Ford zone reps.  10-19 is retail and 20+ is stock.  Lowest priority is built first.

I have read what Ford announced about the COVP allocations officially but from all the info I am privy to in reality they do not follow their announcement. For example explain how a dealer with few COVP orders will have an identical spec truck sit for months at Priority 2 while another dealer will get their order previewed and selected for build that has only been in the system for a few weeks.  I have looked at my dealers list of COVP orders. They are in order of dated placed on order. Most have the common availibility issue features. Many are at Priority 2, 2 are at priority 1. Most are still clean, unscheduled. There is a random truck here and there that have been selected for production but there are 4-5 identical orders that are much older than the ones selected. How does that happen in your scheme?

He has many F150 lightnings on order. All his top 15 trucks are equipped the same. They all are the same priority. He ahs had one selected for production and it is truck number 4 on his list. They all are COVP orders. Again explain how that happens.

I have read what Ford announced about the COVP allocations officially but from all the info I am privy to in reality they do not follow their announcement. For example explain how a dealer with few COVP orders will have an identical spec truck sit for months at Priority 2 while another dealer will get their order previewed and selected for build that has only been in the system for a few weeks.  I have looked at my dealers list of COVP orders. They are in order of dated placed on order. Most have the common availibility issue features. Many are at Priority 2, 2 are at priority 1. Most are still clean, unscheduled. There is a random truck here and there that have been selected for production but there are 4-5 identical orders that are much older than the ones selected. How does that happen in your scheme?

He has many F150 lightnings on order. All his top 15 trucks are equipped the same. They all are the same priority. He ahs had one selected for production and it is truck number 4 on his list. They all are COVP orders. Again explain how that happens.

Commodity restraints are a big reason, since with the number of colours, trim levels, options, etc. very few trucks are completely identical. The other reason is that it isn't a perfect world, especially when the order bank was well over 250,000 units, at one time. With that many and the migration to a growing "Retail" business model, it is understandable, some will get missed.

Mine sat at Priority 1 or 2 for 4-months before it was serialised. It was 1 of about 24 trucks my dealer had serialised the same week. No way he had that many allocations in a single week, so in this instance the COVP worked as advertised.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:50 PM, Rangers09 said:

Commodity restraints are a big reason, since with the number of colours, trim levels, options, etc. very few trucks are completely identical. The other reason is that it isn't a perfect world, especially when the order bank was well over 250,000 units, at one time. With that many and the migration to a growing "Retail" business model, it is understandable, some will get missed.

Mine sat at Priority 1 or 2 for 4-months before it was serialised. It was 1 of about 24 trucks my dealer had serialised the same week. No way he had that many allocations in a single week, so in this instance the COVP worked as advertised.

His top 5 Lightning trucks are actually identical. Only #4 has been scheduled.

It seems if Ford is moving to a Retail model they simply build them in order. If they have to set some aside for Commodity issues those are the next trucks built as soon as parts are available.

I can't understand how Ford really previews orders for scheduling. I spent some time on the phone with the regional Ford manager. They said this COVP is misunderstood. Each region still gets allocations. They are divided up between the dealers based on different incentives. The dealer does get additional allocation for the COVP order but still has restrictions. They said in this region a few dealers have COVP orders from November that simply have not been scheduled because they do not have allocation.