f150 suggestions

just got a 22 lariat 3.5 a couple weeks ago, have a 19 lariat 3.5 also...

I drove the 19 yesterday for first time since getting the 22, and gotta say a couple things...

the most touched parts when driving are the steering wheel and shifter. the leather in the 19 is 'grippy', like most leather wheels, kinda shiny, almost squeaks when your hands grip it...the 22 leather feels like cardboard. the shifter in the 19 isnt the best i've ever had, but its a great ergonomic layout - drive modes/manual mode/shift buttons- everything feels 'right'... the 22, they moved the 'mode' button to the dash, gotta let go/look away...they moved the 'manual' button from a detent, to a flat button- again, gotta move hand/look away...the +/- buttons are above/below, requiring you to lift your hand kinda awkwardly to hit the + button... worse yet the motorized thing feels flimsy compared to the 19.

those are big 'feel' things to a driver- yes it iS a great driving truck, and has a lot of improved features - but theres a lot of great driving vehicles out there...the 19 is a better feeling truck in comparison though if just driving down the road looking out the windshield...the doo-dads are nice, but the steering wheel/shifter you actually drive with, deserved quality materials at least equal to the late models...

those are actual 'feel' items to a driver- but along with the incredible torque curve of the 3.5 in lariat-up trim, the '19 had a extremely effective active noise cancellation/fake engine noise feature that really completed the 'feel' - driving, it feels and sounds like a old bigblock, ... the 22? the thing sounds like a XLT 3.5 at light throttle...piston slap, near 'knock' racket that is a necessary evil companion that comes from a loose fitted high boost aluminum motor...the 22 lariat is not a pleasant sounding vehicle from the drivers seat at light throttle...the 19 was incredible- still a little engine rattle, but nothing compared to the 22- which seems odd as the 22 has extra door seals/less highway wind noise, but sounds as if there is no insulation under the carpeting- hit a puddle in the 22 it sounds like a pressure washer, in the 19 its quiet. tried turning off the fake engine noise in both, they are comparable, both sound like my kids 19 XLT did- after he drove my 19 for a week on vacation, he hated his XLT so bad he turned in his lease and bought a loaded 19 lariat, mostly because of the sound making it 'feel stronger' in everyday driving. "for a extra hundred a month, I can drive the truck I always wanted" was his logic, and due to the market, he didnt get beat up on the lease he turned in

please- consider next OTA update to these trucks- to add on/off for fake engine noise for those who dont want it- and the 19 sound profile- the weak one in the 22 is horrible unless youre into the throttle, even then its kinda weak. its a silly thing to complain about unless you have actually driven both- it changes the 'feel' from the drivers seat same as a full exhaust would...just because it dont attract attention on the outside, dont mean it cant sound better inside.the 22 is not the nicest 150 in the driveway. I have been putting 'leather honey' on the 22s wheel, its beginning to soften up after a few applications, but still has no 'gloss' and sounds like cardboard as it slides under your hands, but is a little better. leather on the shifter seems much better quality than on the wheel, it actually feels better now- just still oddly laid out

in any event gotta say, nice as it is- kudos on the dash, materials, automated features for sure- that going back to the 19 after a couple weeks, the feel of the steering wheel/shifter/sound of actually driving it vs pushing buttons on the nice big screen, that the 19 is a better truck from the drivers seat. only 'oops' in the 19 was the lack of heated wheel button- always hated having to look 3 menus deep or on/off the radio to get a button to pop up- they did address that in the 22 with a button you can get to easily by feel, so thanks for that one :)

heres the 4 in the family- younger sons red 3.5 xlt, my white 19 3.5 lariat, my space white 22 lariat sport, older sons ingot silver 19 lariat 3.5 he bought used after getting rid of his leased blue xlt 3.5- the white and the silver trucks sound awesome to drive, the red xlt and space white sound like a darn V6, even with that incredibly addictive torque curve of the 3.5

red xlt will be gone soon as son's 2.7 bronco shows up- his biggest concern on the bronco was that it would have the fake engine sound too, as he is also no longer a fan of the sound of his 3.5 without it... crazy, my kids have done pretty well all on their own, having vehicles nice as these at their ages...destined to be car poor ford fans too I guess :)

Resized_20220424_185215~3.jpeg

Edited by ford4v429