Suggestions needed. Sealing around 5WP bed holes

Looking for ideas to seal up around the punched bed holes for the 5wp. I will be installing a retrax cover so I want to attempt to seal up avenues for dust/dirt/water etc to enter the bed and these oversized punched holes are prime candidates. I will also be installing a spray liner as well after the holes are sealed. I am thinking about a urethane caulking which should allow the bed liner to adhere. Ideas and suggestions needed. Thank you

Edited by Cglenn

26 minutes ago, bshort said:

Sell the truck and buy a car?  

Can't see how one can completely eliminate dust and water back there.  It will get past any tailgate seal as well.  

Wow this is phenomenal advice. Thanks for taking time to respond with such a useful suggestion to seek the truck and buy a car.

i understand that nothing will completely prevent dust and water but it is about minimizing points of entry.

Get the bed liner sprayed before sealing the holes and use a black silicone based sealant around the 5th prep stubs.

It was recommended to me that a vent tube be installed between the cab vent and the box header panel. Having the cabin fan on medium or higher, keeps the bed pressurized and stops the majority of the dust.

I did not do this option as I often have my bed open and used for truck things. For my truck use, dust is par for the course.

5 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

IF it is/was factory installed 5WP they have rubber/plastic cover that POP into the hole to prevent water from entering.. Since the 5th Wheel prep has not changed, you COULD go with these....

image.thumb.png.e4c90b84c145ed619338019e18d1c074.png

I think it should come with those if it's a factory install.  If not, I don't know how big the gaps are because I don't have my truck yet, but maybe some short strips of P shaped window foam. Glued on the puck side if you want.

One caution, if you seal everything as much as you can but of course you can't get it all, those holes also allow water to go out.

Edited by 4thTimer

I used some LockTite Poly caulk for the seams.  I used a half piece of pipe insulation for the sides of the tailgate and some foam weather-stripping for the bottom of the tailgate.  I have a Roll-n-Lock cover.  I'm probably 90% sealed but dust is still going to get in.  

I think you'd need one of those hinged solid fiberglass tops to stay any dryer but it kind of defeats the purpose of a truck (as does a bed rug - there is an oxymoron... bed rug...).

• Like 1