Next Gen Mustang Tomorrow?

Like I said, everyone is just waiting to see how Mercedes AMG does with 2.0 turbo hybrid "63" replacing V8 - starting with 2023 C63 and then 2024 E63. If the market takes to the 4 cylinder C63 and E63 just fine, then everyone will follow with downsize I4 hybrid. But If AMG fails, everyone will see it as cautionary tale and jump straight to EV. 

Edited by bzcat

If they offer an eco boost 4 cylinder hybrid at a competitive price, I will be seriously considering trading my 20 eco-boot Mustang that's for sure.  AWD would also be nice for those of us living in the snow belt at least on the 4 cylinder models. Unless gas go back to $3.00 a gallon by then, I think a hybrid on the LOWER trim levels would be a big seller.  I don't see that a hybrid V8 or V6 improves MPG that much compared to just going with the 4 banger turbo and less and less sales will be 460 HP monsters with the current price of gas. 300 to 350 HP is the sweet spot for fun vs cost vs MPG in my opinion.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, jpd80 said:

Problem is that 2.3 sells like a bucket of shit internationally, people who buy Mustang want the V8, that’s why Ford desperately tries to put fake V8 sound into the interior….

Wanna change that?
Rebadge as Ford Capri RS 3100  with Powerboost 3.0 EB TTV6, you will drive the Brits nuts….

Lets see the sales numbers for Q2, 3 and 4 to see if you theory people only want a V8 holds out.  I have the 2.3 Eco boost and it is way more powerful than my old 4.6 GT SN95.  Most car buyers don't want or need todays 5.0 with 460 or more HP and 16 MPG in the city if its summer (worse in winter).  I predict the market for the 5.0 and the hemi and what ever chevy is pushing will just continue to shrink except for a few well off hobbyist buys who can afford to have a 50K toy sitting in the garage.  Most cars sold in Europe are tiny displacement.  they sell just fine including sports cars.  Big displacement is a small and shrinking niche.

Rico, I was referring to international sales.

For S550 the history is that the V8 is a high percentage of sales

thise buyers tend to be more hard core V8 enthusiasts in other

parts of the world. Completely different to domestic sales.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Rico, I was referring to international sales.

For S550 the history is that the V8 is a high percentage of sales

thise buyers tend to be more hard core V8 enthusiasts in other

parts of the world. Completely different to domestic sales.

How many Mustang (non-Mach-E) does Ford  sell outside of North America each year?

31 minutes ago, sullynd said:

How many Mustang (non-Mach-E) does Ford  sell outside of North America each year?

I think it peaked at about 15k during the earlier years of S550. It's not a big business but evidently profitable one. 

Ford sold 3,700 Mustang in Europe and 2,827 in Australia last year - the two largest market, and about 2,000 in all the other markets combined. It sold 7,115 in Europe in 2020 so sales are generally falling which makes sense. The car is getting a bit old. 

In comparison, Ford sold 23k Mach E in Europe in 2021... so that gives you some perspective. The amount of Mustang 5.0 sold overseas is not that significant and won't factor in Ford's decision about what to do with V8 - that decision is always and continues to be driven by demand in the US market.

2 hours ago, sullynd said:

It’s not many, the RHDs are configured at one every ten builds down the production line but the point is they are premium GT with all the fruit and when they land, owners normally pay more for special s/c versions because the GT500 isn’t done in RHD

Were very fortunate to have a RHD Mustang coupe, it was done creatively by bundling 25 markets together to make the business case work, I doubt today’s regime would be as generous.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think it's less than that now

It is until new model, there was a cut off on orders for this year. In past MCEs, they would just keep build ing the old model for RHD cars until the domestic LHD models were away and stabilised, then  Ford would switch to the new model for export RHDs but this time they’re cutting off the supply early.

Its annoying that we can’t get RHD MME in Australia as I think it would give Tesla a run for its money but I understand that production volume is still limited, shame China doesn’t do RHD MME, make things a lot easier…

Edited by jpd80

I think Ford Australia maybe needs to fight harder to get some MME allocation. Since Australia uses CCS Type 2 chargers, it should be mostly the same as the MME Ford is sending to UK and Ireland: RHD + CCS Type 2. The build variation already exists... pretty sure Ford Aus and NZ just need to man up and ask for it.

Given that you guys now have a new Federal Govt that is not actively engaged in climate denial, EV adoption will probably happen very quickly. Maybe the yobbos in Queensland and NT will hold out like some here in the rural US but I don't see why NSW or Victoria won't resemble California in their EV adoption. Very similar automobile use habit and urban and suburban built environment. Ford Aus would be wise to get ahead of that hockey curve. California is on track to get to about 20% plug-in vehicles by the end of 2022.

mustang_mache_122.jpg

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef02942fa86dc2200c-800wi.png

Edited by bzcat