Secret to a spotless windshield on inside of Super Duty?

Hello all,

I apologize if this has been answered many times before, I did a quick search on the BOF and it didn't pop right up.  So my question is, how do you guys get a spotless and more importantly a streak free windshield on the inside of your Super Duty?  I struggled to get and keep my 2017 windshield clean on the inside and no different on my 2022.  I have one of those windshield wands with a microfiber pad on it and I use a quality glass cleaner but I just can't get it perfectly clean and as a matter of fact, not even close to clean, always leaves streaks that show up when direct sunlight hits the windshield like at the end of the day when driving West.  I've tried blue paper shop towels with glass cleaner and struggle to get good access, so hard to reach and at first it looks great, then later I discover the streaks where I stroked the towels.  I cuss and swear every time I try to clean it.  I always say the windshield should fold out like house windows so you clean the damn thing properly.

What are your solutions or maybe just stories of same frustration?

I feel your pain Toolman.  While I can't help much with what-to-do, the what-not-to-do is easy, though I am sure you already know.  Never clean windows in the heat. Once something dries on the window, it is over.  If you use a cloth that was laundered and it was put in the dryer with fabric softener, the results will never be good.  FWIW, my best results have come with homemade cleaner - water, isopropyl alcohol, vinegar and a drop of Dawn liquid.  Proportions escape me at the moment but the recipes can be on the intertubes.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

Hello all,

I apologize if this has been answered many times before, I did a quick search on the BOF and it didn't pop right up.  So my question is, how do you guys get a spotless and more importantly a streak free windshield on the inside of your Super Duty?  I struggled to get and keep my 2017 windshield clean on the inside and no different on my 2022.  I have one of those windshield wands with a microfiber pad on it and I use a quality glass cleaner but I just can't get it perfectly clean and as a matter of fact, not even close to clean, always leaves streaks that show up when direct sunlight hits the windshield like at the end of the day when driving West.  I've tried blue paper shop towels with glass cleaner and struggle to get good access, so hard to reach and at first it looks great, then later I discover the streaks where I stroked the towels.  I cuss and swear every time I try to clean it.  I always say the windshield should fold out like house windows so you clean the damn thing properly.

Hi 787. My procedure for a streak free windshield/windows, is first...No paper towels, shop towels etc.

Use either clean 100% cotton or microfiber towels. And at least two. One for applying/spreading the window cleaner to clean the windshield, the other to dry and detail the windshield.

Quick description: In the shade, on a cool windshield (never in the sun), liberally spray the window cleaner on half the windshield (only do half at a time).

Don't be stingy with the window cleaner. Use plenty, since the cleaner solution is what loosens/cleans the dirt and film and fog of out-gassed chemicals etc off the windshield.

Use one cotton or microfiber towel to spread the cleaner and loosen the contamination, and clean half the windshield, getting every inch of the windshield and into all the corners, around the mirror and electronic housings etc. Then use the second, clean towel to dry the windshield and detail/buff/polish. Repeat on the other half/side of the windshield.

And use plenty of elbow grease during both steps. it is not a matter simply spreading the glass cleaner around on the glass. We need to actually wipe and clean all of the glass with the glass cleaner.

Oh, and if you like, spread a third towel over the dashboard to keep the window cleaner off the dash, instrument panel, steering wheel etc. I do. Move it from one side to the other when you switch sides to clean.

I use "Armor All", "Meguiar's", "Stoners" and "Rain X"  window/windshield cleaners. They are all good, so I buy what is on sale when I need to restock. Although I don't use Armor All on my vinyl/rubber, I find their window cleaner works very well. 

EDIT- "doyall" above made a good point which I forgot to mention...Use towels which are washed without using any fabric softener. Fabric softener will cause streaks on glass and paint. I wash all my car cotton and microfiber towels, both interior and exterior, without any fabric softener, since it will leave streaks on the windows and on the paint.

Hope some of this help and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my Father In Law swore by the following...

Take an "old newspaper" and use 1-2 pages crinkled up .. spray on the glass cleaner, spread with a handful... use another to wipe dry...

after I was done laughing, I finally tried it.. IT REALLY WORKS.. must be an old school thing..??  I use nothing else anymore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ford truck guy said:

Take an "old newspaper" and use 1-2 pages crinkled up .. spray on the glass cleaner, spread with a handful... use another to wipe dry...

after I was done laughing, I finally tried it.. IT REALLY WORKS.. must be an old school thing..??  I use nothing else anymore

Hi Ftg. It is old school! But it is a great tip! That actually works great on the exterior glass. I also have used it for many years. The newspaper works as mild abrasive to clean off a lot of contamination.

For those who want to try it...Always only use the black and white/print sections though, not the color sections, comics etc.

However, from all that I have read, it is not a good idea to use it on the interior of the glass, for the same reasons it is so good on the outside. Since it is mildly abrasive, it can scratch the dash or other trim if we accidentally rub those areas. And never use newspaper on the tinted side of tinted windows, since it will scratch the tint.

Since the inside of a windshield/windows is not exposed to the environmental fallout/contamination/bird droppings etc. which the exterior experiences, a good glass cleaner and some proper cleaning steps is usually all that is needed.

Great hint though! Good luck! ?

Edited by bbf2530
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

Don't even need glass cleaner, just plain clean H2O.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi 787. My procedure for a streak free windshield/windows, is first...No paper towels, shop towels etc.

Use either clean 100% cotton or microfiber towels. And at least two. One for applying/spreading the window cleaner to clean the windshield, the other to dry and detail the windshield.

Quick description: In the shade, on a cool windshield (never in the sun), liberally spray the window cleaner on half the windshield (only do half at a time).

Don't be stingy with the window cleaner. Use plenty, since the cleaner solution is what loosens/cleans the dirt and film and fog of out-gassed chemicals etc off the windshield.

Use one cotton or microfiber towel to spread the cleaner and loosen the contamination, and clean half the windshield, getting every inch of the windshield and into all the corners, around the mirror and electronic housings etc. Then use the second, clean towel to dry the windshield and detail/buff/polish. Repeat on the other half/side of the windshield.

And use plenty of elbow grease during both steps. it is not a matter simply spreading the glass cleaner around on the glass. We need to actually wipe and clean all of the glass with the glass cleaner.

Oh, and if you like, spread a third towel over the dashboard to keep the window cleaner off the dash, instrument panel, steering wheel etc. I do. Move it from one side to the other when you switch sides to clean.

I use "Armor All", "Meguiar's", "Stoners" and "Rain X"  windshield cleaners. They are all good, so I buy what is on sale when I need to restock. Although I don't use Armor All on my vinyl/rubber, I find their window cleaner works very well. 

EDIT- "doyall" above made a good point which I forgot to mention...Fabric softener will cause streaks, on glass and paint. Use towels which are washed without using any fabric softener. I wash all my car cotton and microfiber towels, both interior and exterior, without any fabric softener, since it will leave streaks on the windows and on the paint.

Hope some of this help and good luck.

Thanks bb, I guess another aspect that is challenging for me is gaining access, seems so difficult to get myself into position to do a good job as the angle, reach and size are all difficult.  I don't mind doing the hard work, just difficult the press hard with the reach and distance.  I definitely have never done what you recommended, I've only used glass cleaner and blue shop towels.  I do have a wand for this purpose with a microfiber cloth but it just seems so hard to get enough pressure to press hard.  I will try your technique and report back.  Thanks for the detailed steps, sounds like you must be a professional detailer?  I have tried newspaper years ago on my 2008 F150 but don't remember it being significantly better.

39 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

Thanks bb, I guess another aspect that is challenging for me is gaining access, seems so difficult to get myself into position to do a good job as the angle, reach and size are all difficult.  I don't mind doing the hard work, just difficult the press hard with the reach and distance.  I definitely have never done what you recommended, I've only used glass cleaner and blue shop towels.  I do have a wand for this purpose with a microfiber cloth but it just seems so hard to get enough pressure to press hard.  I will try your technique and report back.  Thanks for the detailed steps, sounds like you must be a professional detailer?  I have tried newspaper years ago on my 2008 F150 but don't remember it being significantly better.

Hi 787. You are very welcome! Full disclosure: I am not a professional detailer. ?
This is simply what I have learned through many years of experience and paying attention to the advice of professionals.

It certainly can be difficult to maneuver our arms/hands into position to get the weird angles and corners of the windshield. With practice, you just sort of find the right gymnastics in order to get what works for your particular vehicle.

It can sometimes help to use smaller towels to get down at the base of the windshield or tight spaces, since a large towel may not fit along with your hand. And always try to keep the towels as flat as possible on the windshield. It will clean and dry better and without streaking if it is flat, as opposed to crumpled in a ball.

And again, use plenty of glass cleaner on a cool windshield  (in the shade). Spray a lot of it on until you learn how much you can dial it back. It is inexpensive, and a little too much is better than too little if you want to get a streak free windshield. 

And I would advise against using newspaper on the interior of the windows. Only use it on the outside. It won't necessarily make a huge visual difference to many owners, unless there is a lot of difficult to remove contamination, or you really want to get that last bit of sparkle from the glass. In reality, many/most people may never notice the difference. Only fanatics, of which I can be one with my own car detailing...lol.

Nowadays it is even easier to learn how to do things. There is a How-to video for everything. Just Google phrases such as "How to clean auto windshields glass". For example:  https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+clean+auto+windshields+glass&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi26ojTr434AhXdt4QIHSDlAAgQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1920&bih=994&dpr=1

Keep in mind I'm not vouching for any of the above videos, only providing examples...lol.

What I can vouch for is my window cleaning regimen. ?

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi 787. You are very welcome! Full disclosure: I am not a professional detailer. ?
This is simply what I have learned through many years of experience and paying attention to the advice of professionals.

It certainly can be difficult to maneuver our arms/hands into position to get the weird angles and corners of the windshield. With practice, you just sort of find the right gymnastics in order to get what works for your particular vehicle.

It can sometimes help to use smaller towels to get down at the base of the windshield or tight spaces, since a large towel may not fit along with your hand. And always try to keep the towels as flat as possible on the windshield. It will clean and dry better and without streaking if it is flat, as opposed to crumpled in a ball.

And again, use plenty of glass cleaner on a cool windshield  (in the shade). Spray a lot of it on until you learn how much you can dial it back. It is inexpensive, and a little too much is better than too little if you want to get a streak free windshield. 

And I would advise against using newspaper on the interior of the windows. Only use it on the outside. It won't necessarily make a huge visual difference to many owners, unless there is a lot of difficult to remove contamination, or you really want to get that last bit of sparkle from the glass. In reality, many/most people may never notice the difference. Only fanatics, of which I can be one with my own car detailing...lol.

Nowadays it is even easier to learn how to do things. There is a How-to video for everything. Just Google phrases such as "How to clean auto windshields glass". For example:  https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+clean+auto+windshields+glass&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi26ojTr434AhXdt4QIHSDlAAgQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1920&bih=994&dpr=1

Keep in mind I'm not vouching for any of the above videos, only providing examples...lol.

What I can vouch for is my window cleaning regimen. ?

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Thanks bb, a wealth of helpful advice, thanks so much...I'll definitely let you know how I do...

Another question, after you clean the windshield, or think you've cleaned it, how do you test for streaks without waiting for conditions such as driving into the direction of the sun?  I guess if you have a big giant powerful light, maybe that can simulate the streaks or if it's really streak free.

20 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

Another question, after you clean the windshield, or think you've cleaned it, how do you test for streaks without waiting for conditions such as driving into the direction of the sun?  I guess if you have a big giant powerful light, maybe that can simulate the streaks or if it's really streak free.

Hi 787. After carefully cleaning the windshield,  you can just move your vehicle so that it is parked facing into the sun. Then you can spot treat any individual streaks. But once you get good at it, that often will not even be necessary. 

Good luck.

19 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi 787. After carefully cleaning the windshield,  you can just move your vehicle so that it is parked facing into the sun. Then you can spot treat any individual streaks. But once you get good at it, that often will not even be necessary. 

Good luck.

Thanks bb, but in my case, I can't easily point my truck into the sun at an arbitrary time, I guess I can go find a place in my area but the time I tend to see streaks is at end of day on my way home from work and not every day allows you to see the streaks.  I guess there is no way to know 100% if it's streak free until you drive it a little around town and in different conditions.

34 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

Thanks bb, but in my case, I can't easily point my truck into the sun at an arbitrary time, I guess I can go find a place in my area but the time I tend to see streaks is at end of day on my way home from work and not every day allows you to see the streaks.  I guess there is no way to know 100% if it's streak free until you drive it a little around town and in different conditions.

Hi 787. Then another option: Pack your glass cleaner and towels with you, and if you see streaks one of those days on your way home, stop in an area where you can park facing the sun and give it a quick touch up. Or adapt that general idea/principle to whatever your particular situation is.

Let us know how you make out and good luck. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi 787. Then another option: Pack your glass cleaner and towels with you, and if you see streaks one of those days on your way home, stop in an area where you can park facing the sun and give it a quick touch up. Or adapt that general idea/principle to whatever your particular situation is.

Let us know how you make out and good luck. ?

Thanks bb, you always have great answers...you can call me Toolman or Dave...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 7:18 AM, 787Toolman said:

Hello all,

I use invisible glass cleaner and a Mr Clean magic erasers  with a microfiber cloth. Works great. DO NOT use on windows with tint.