Ford CEO Jim Farley Indirectly Says Ford Escape Facing Cancellation

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

the Escape gets raked over the coals even though the interior is nicer then both of them. But the Maverick and BS have a better looking design, even though the materials look cheap. 

Escape, Maverick, and Bronco Sport interiors all use similarly cheap materials, but to your point, the design is much more appealing on the latter 2. It's the difference between "cheap and nasty" for Escape versus "cheap and cheerful" for Maverick and Bronco Sport.

The dramatic improvement in design from Escape (introduced for model year 2020), to Bronco Sport (introduced in 2021), to Maverick (introduced in 2022) is a direct result of Jim Hackett's design thinking taking root at Ford over the past couple years.

59 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That was my thoughts for it becoming the Edge replacement

A real opportunity to do something different there but not sure if Ford is thinking that way….

59 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I think the criticism of the 2020 Escape has been a bit too harsh-My parents had a 2013 Escape Ti and my wife has a 2017 Escape SEL and my parents just recently got a 2020 Escape. The 2020 Escape interior is fine for what it is and well the styling is just ok-I haven't been a huge fan of Ford's styling direction the past few years outside of a couple products. 

The real issue is just the market expectations. Just using a 2013 Ti model vs my wife's 2017 SEL-the SEL actually has more options on it then the 2013-for example it has dual power front seat where the Ti just had a drivers side. But yet it was at least $4-6K cheaper. I think that was the big issue Ford was having with making money on it. 

I also get your point about the Maverick and Bronco Sport interiors-they look "cheap" in person, but the Escape gets raked over the coals even though the interior is nicer then both of them. But the Maverick and BS have a better looking design, even though the materials look cheap. 

I knew there would be some pushback when FOE made the C2 Escape more like a car but not as bad as some make out.

Racking my brain over this,

I did a side by side comparison between Escape and Edge interior dimensions and the biggest change is how the Escape narrows in the rear hip (57.5”/53.3”) and Shoulder room,(60.5”/55.3”) the front hip room is similar (55.9”/55.2”) and Shoulder room goes to the Edge (60.5”/56.0”). Now this might sound stupid but reworking the Escape into an new Edge replacement “tweeter” may be an opportunity to pinch some more sales from the competition. so thinking 2” wider x 2” more wheelbase and 4” more length in the rear cargo area….

Re Maverick and Bronco Sport,

Ford tends to save money on interiors in lower cost models, I get that but perhaps offering a premium pack option on lower trims would be a way to offset any sense of cheapness on Maverick and BS…or maybe like the emergency upgrade done to Explorer interior trim…..

8 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Ford needs to take a hard look at something like the Tuscon if they want to create a compact crossover that blows peoples minds. 

Mind blowing?  It looks like every other CUV with some sharp creases added.  

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I like jpd80's idea of a Maverick utility that could replace the Escape and may even be called Escape. Boxy styling, but a bit larger than Bronco Sport with the Maverick's powertrain, shared body components, and FWD standard. I think Ford customers prefer traditional Ford styling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Escape, Maverick, and Bronco Sport interiors all use similarly cheap materials, but to your point, the design is much more appealing on the latter 2. It's the difference between "cheap and nasty" for Escape versus "cheap and cheerful" for Maverick and Bronco Sport.

A  2020 SEL Escape is no worse then the previous generation materials or design wise. It is a far cry from being cheap or nasty. Not to mention the "cheap" Escape trims are what are used in the Maverick/BS that everyone is bitching about (Instrument IP)

It can be argued that the 2020 Escape fixes the space issues the 2013-2019 has in its interior compartment. 

22 minutes ago, ehaase said:

I like jpd80's idea of a Maverick utility that could replace the Escape and may even be called Escape. Boxy styling, but a bit larger than Bronco Sport with the Maverick's powertrain, shared body components, and FWD standard. I think Ford customers prefer traditional Ford styling. 

Its a dead end-the current Escape will last another 5 years or so before being replaced by a BEV

The only thing that makes sense at the moment is a Transit Connect based on the Maverick. 

26 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its a dead end-the current Escape will last another 5 years or so before being replaced by a BEV

The only thing that makes sense at the moment is a Transit Connect based on the Maverick. 

I disagree.  I think a Maverick Utility and/or Long wheelbase Bronco Sport would be great additions.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

A  2020 SEL Escape is no worse then the previous generation materials or design wise.

That's the issue. 3rd gen Escape interior was noteworthy mainly for its boring  design and cheap materials. 4th gen Escape improved interior space utilization and usability, but still had boring design and cheap materials.

Bronco Sport and particularly Maverick got rid the boring interior design of 4th gen Escape. That results in much improved appeal for customers, yet isn't more expensive for Ford.

Maverick won Wards 2022 10 Best Interiors & UX. 2022 10 Best Interiors & UX Winner: Ford Maverick (wardsauto.com)

Edited by rperez817

23 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Bronco Sport and particularly Maverick got rid the boring interior design of 4th gen Escape. That results in much improved appeal for customers, yet isn't more expensive for Ford.

Maverick won Wards 2022 10 Best Interiors & UX. 2022 10 Best Interiors & UX Winner: Ford Maverick (wardsauto.com)

Boring is just your option, just like people think the Bronco Sport and Maverick look "cheap" 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

people think the Bronco Sport and Maverick look "cheap" 

It's not that people think Bronco Sport and Maverick look cheap, it's that those vehicles' interiors are cheap in terms of material selection.

But as Wards Auto mentioned, going cheap isn't the liability in those 2 models as it is with 4th generation Escape, and with older Fords. Thanks to design thinking, Ford did a good job disguising some of the cheapness, and also adding an element of fun. Wards Auto judges specifically mentioned this in their evaluation of Maverick.

“There’s plastic everywhere, but it doesn’t look like plastic everywhere,” remarks judge Jim Irwin.

designers incorporate common materials that catch the eye and smart features that win our accolades.

With the Maverick, Ford puts the fun in functional

On 6/8/2022 at 6:05 AM, akirby said:

image.jpeg

That thing blew no ones minds.   

That design is a complete also-ran, inherently unattractive, blend-in-with-the-crowd design if there ever was one.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ESP08 said:

That thing blew no ones minds.   

That design is a complete also-ran, inherently unattractive, blend-in-with-the-crowd design if there ever was one.   

Generic design that is the new vanilla of styling, broader audience appeal with perhaps little emotional connection.

Emotion = +$$$$$$ because buyers really want it, gotta have it, above is not that vehicle and never will be, it’s an appliance purchase 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 11:33 PM, silvrsvt said:

A  2020 SEL Escape is no worse then the previous generation materials or design wise. It is a far cry from being cheap or nasty. Not to mention the "cheap" Escape trims are what are used in the Maverick/BS that everyone is bitching about (Instrument IP)

It can be argued that the 2020 Escape fixes the space issues the 2013-2019 has in its interior compartment. 

Hard to tell in chip restricted times whether buyers are moving away from Escape  but when the CEO loosely refers to it and Edge as commodity vehicles, you know that the internal support for it may be slipping. Also diverting chips away from Escape really hurt sales last month but I think there’s still a lot of sales strength there if only they could build enough of them…..

On 6/8/2022 at 7:05 AM, akirby said:

image.jpeg

Well there's only so much you can do with compact crossover proportions and package. They can't do anything to crazy like giving an SUV supercar proportions. But the Tuscon is by far one of the most attractive SUVs in it's segment. It's sharp, it's bold by crossover standards, yet it doesn't cross over (no pun intended) into being massively overstyled and unattractive. It verges in being overstyled, but pulls back just in time imo.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Hard to tell in chip restricted times whether buyers are moving away from Escape  but when the CEO loosely refers to it and Edge as commodity vehicles, you know that the internal support for it may be slipping. Also diverting chips away from Escape really hurt sales last month but I think there’s still a lot of sales strength there if only they could build enough of them…..

yeah I feel like numbers wouldn’t be too bad if they had actual parts/chips to build to demand.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

yeah I feel like numbers wouldn’t be too bad if they had actual parts/chips to build to demand.

I think this is the only time ever where a lot of manufacturers are forced to really think about which products to prioritise and how to manage multiple plants with chip shortages. It really makes nonsense of any sort of sales trend discussion when there so much  deliberate manipulation of production, it looks like Edge benefitted with more chips last month while Escape sales fell back….

Edited by jpd80