NHTSA Investigating Broncos Engine Failure

10 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

This thread will not go any where. As on this forum problems don't exist in the twilight zone......

Quick math-

46,161 sold so far in 2022

35,023 sold in 2021

81,184 total

Figure about 50% (I think that might be on the high side) are V6s

About 50 failures so far (from Bronco6G)

works out to about a .1% (0.00123) failure rate

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I thought this was determined to be a single batch of bad valves over a year ago... why are we still discussing it? 

Well this investigation just launched so that is the relevancy. 

May not seem like much but 50 fires is 50 fires and fires are not that common with any modern automobile. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I thought this was determined to be a single batch of bad valves over a year ago... why are we still discussing it? 

As kyle mentioned, NHTSA just opened an investigation regarding the defect. Because this issue can cause a loss of motive power, the petitioners contend that it is a safety issue.

NHTSA is now reviewing petitions submitted in March 2022 about this issue and should make a decision soon on whether to grant or deny them.

9 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Quick math-

35,023 sold in 2021

81,184 total

NHTSA got involved-it's a potential problem.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

NHTSA got involved-it's a potential problem.

No it’s a real problem but on a limited number of vehicles.  But the NHTSA is only investigating because there were 32 complaints.  With zero crashes and zero injuries.  They’re all failing under warranty and this doesn’t seem to be a recall situation, so I’d be surprised if this goes anywhere,

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

No it’s a real problem but on a limited number of vehicles.  But the NHTSA is only investigating because there were 32 complaints.  With zero crashes and zero injuries.  They’re all failing under warranty and this doesn’t seem to be a recall situation, so I’d be surprised if this goes anywhere,

It's also not like we're hearing stories of Ford playing games and trying to void warranties like GM was doing when Colorado ZR1s we're popping airbags from very minor (and critically, provably so) off-roading. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, akirby said:

The number that seems to be thrown around elsewhere is 25,000.  What ever the number-it seems the failures have put owners in some very risky situations. So-we can agree to disagree, but I do predict there will be a recall-whether initiated by NHTSA or "agreed upon voluntarily" by Ford.

On 6/4/2022 at 6:56 AM, silvrsvt said:

Quick math-

35,023 sold in 2021

81,184 total

This just further proves how reliable modern cars are, but also the flaws associated with echo chambers. We're talking about a .1% failure rate during the introductory phases of a popular product, and an issue that won't cause issues for the overwhelming majority of owners moving forward. Yet despite that, people on the bronco forums are freaking out because they're actively seeking out people who are having issues. This often leads people to the faulty conclusion that this issue is more widespread than it really is.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

This just further proves how reliable modern cars are, but also the flaws associated with echo chambers. We're talking about a .1% failure rate during the introductory phases of a popular product, and an issue that won't cause issues for the overwhelming majority of owners moving forward. Yet despite that, people on the bronco forums are freaking out because they're actively seeking out people who are having issues. This often leads people to the faulty conclusion that this issue is more widespread than it really is.

I’ve had a few different people ask me about the car the last few days and that was one of the first things they asked about - the issues with the engine.

19 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Welcome to BG6. 

• Haha 1

From the Detroit Free Press: 

Documents filed by Ford with NHTSA say 25,538 Broncos may have this problem.

Using the handy dandy calculation provided earlier in the thread but updated for Ford's official figure:

Quick math-

35,023 sold in 2021

81,184 total

Documents filed by Ford with NHTSA say 25,538 Broncos may have this problem

works out to about a 62.9% (0.62913) failure rate

I don't believe for a minute that the failure rate is that high - Ford had to provide the total number of engines potentially involved - but those here who have dismissed this situation because of the anecdotal number of reports on a Bronco forum are maybe jumping the gun a bit as well.

Edited by Harley Lover
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/06/04/ford-bronco-engine-failure-complaint-nhtsa/7512077001/

On 6/8/2022 at 4:52 PM, Harley Lover said:

From the Detroit Free Press: 

Using the handy dandy calculation provided earlier in the thread but updated for Ford's official figure:

Quick math-

35,023 sold in 2021

81,184 total

Documents filed by Ford with NHTSA say 25,538 Broncos may have this problem

works out to about a 62.9% (0.62913) failure rate

I don't believe for a minute that the failure rate is that high - Ford had to provide the total number of engines potentially involved - but those here who have dismissed this situation because of the anecdotal number of reports on a Bronco forum are maybe jumping the gun a bit as well.

The key word is may have a problem....there been 50 failures so far a .0019 failure rate

26 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The key word is may have a problem....there been 50 failures so far a .0019 failure rate

So people are freaking out over a failure rate that's not even 2/10s of a percent. Said it before, but this just shows how durable modern cars are. The fact that a failure rate that's a fraction of a single percent is still too high for some.

24 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

So people are freaking out over a failure rate that's not even 2/10s of a percent. Said it before, but this just shows how durable modern cars are. The fact that a failure rate that's a fraction of a single percent is still too high for some.

Boils down to anything Bronco related prob shows a 100-1000% increase in clicks....gotta keep that advertising dollars coming in. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Probably fortunate that Ford’s production has been so hamstrung that it couldn’t build as many Broncos as it planned. Disappointing yes but far from a calamity except for the owners affected of course…….

Yes, I can see this getting messy and expensive.  Beware of “rebuilt” 2.7L ecoboost that still have the sub standard valves becoming available on the secondary market.

45 minutes ago, slemke said:

Yes, I can see this getting messy and expensive.  Beware of “rebuilt” 2.7L ecoboost that still have the sub standard valves becoming available on the secondary market.

Yeah but rebuilt won’t have any of the bad batch of valves anymore….

Edited by jpd80

On 6/10/2022 at 2:42 PM, silvrsvt said:

Failure rate is lower because of so many that havent been delivered.  You better believe there are more out there with the 10s of thousands of broncos sitting on those Bronco Mountains waiting for chips.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:40 PM, jpd80 said:

Yeah but rebuilt won’t have any of the bad batch of valves anymore….

I put rebuilt in quotes as they would be designated as rebuilt, but not actually have the valves replaced.  Think unscrupulous seller.

• Like 1