The Ford Order Tracking System Is No Longer Available.  THANKS Cyberdman For Making Available All Of These Past Years.  More Here.

blwnsmoke

"Prepare for a brutal future" Farley tells dealers

7 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

The next step will be make the EV's lease only.

Continuous revenue stream.  That’s the latest trend.

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I agree with you jasonj80 and ice-capades. In an interview with Car and Driver, a Ford spokesman spun it as a way to better "manage battery recycling and materials", but as you pointed out I think there's much more than that. Ford Won't Let You Buy Your Leased EV When the Contract Ends (caranddriver.com)

What?  Batteries better last more than 3 years.  I could see recycling batteries and materials if these were 10-15 year old cars, but not 39 month returns.  I call BS on that one.  Ford’s betting the value at trade in will be greater than the residual and wants to capture that profit.

WSJ reported that Jim Farley met with 300 Ford dealers to discuss the rules Ford is establishing for BEV sales, based on zero new car inventory at dealers and a 100% online sales approach. https://www.wsj.com/articles/fords-talk-of-new-ev-selling-rules-rattles-some-dealers-11656504003

This week, Mr. Farley held four hours of group meetings with a total of around 300 dealers to field questions and discuss their concerns about the future of EV sales, said Tim Hovik, chairman of the Ford National Dealer Council. The president and head of sales from Ford’s gas-engine division were also present.

Mr. Farley raised morale by emphasizing that dealers are key to Ford’s success, Mr. Hovik said, and answered questions about the comments he made at the Bernstein conference.

Mr. Farley’s statements about having zero inventory at dealers and sales being all online sounded to some observers like the direct-sales model employed by Tesla Inc. and other EV startups. Mr. Farley has said Tesla’s direct-sales model saves around $2,000 per car.

Some dealers get it, and understand the importance of a totally different approach when it comes to selling BEV. Quote below is from Rhett Ricart, a dealership owner in Ohio.

Some Ford dealers say Mr. Farley is mainly responding to changing demands from customers as the car-selling environment grows more competitive in the EV age.

“He’s preparing the class for a tough test. He’s not making the test,” Mr. Ricart said. “The test is provided by our customers and by the business environment.”

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

WSJ reported that Jim Farley met with 300 Ford dealers to discuss the rules Ford is establishing for BEV sales, based on zero new car inventory at dealers and a 100% online sales approach. https://www.wsj.com/articles/fords-talk-of-new-ev-selling-rules-rattles-some-dealers-11656504003

Some dealers get it, and understand the importance of a totally different approach when it comes to selling BEV. Quote below is from Rhett Ricart, a dealership owner in Ohio.

Yes, but it shouldn’t be only for BEV.  The way we buy goods has changed over the years, but the franchise laws and car buying experience hasn’t caught up.  Saving $2000 per vehicle is a huge cost savings.  Not getting that scale of savings by removing some lighting and chrome trim.  I’m all for it. 

11 hours ago, slemke said:

Yes, but it shouldn’t be only for BEV.  The way we buy goods has changed over the years, but the franchise laws and car buying experience hasn’t caught up.  Saving $2000 per vehicle is a huge cost savings.  Not getting that scale of savings by removing some lighting and chrome trim.  I’m all for it. 

It will eventually apply to ICE as well.  It’s just an easier sell for BEVs due to limited volume and limited batteries and the unique things that dealers have to do.

My guess is Google is developing a new integrated ordering and tracking system for Model E that will later be adapted to ICE.