Ranger SuperCrew w/6' box coming?

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2023-ford-ranger-spied-with-extended-tray.

While the Ranger is more important to Ford in other markets, this prototype has a number of NA- oriented cues:

• LHD & no driver's side grab handle
  • Side exhaust
  • CHMSL in roof vs tailgate 
  • USA-type AC outlets in box inverter

I came very close to buying a gm ColorAnyon CrewCab 6'box before settling on the Ranger SuperCab; this would be a welcome upgrade. Ranger is the only midsize body-on-frame truck without this configuration in NA.

40 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

I came very close to buying a gm ColorAnyon CrewCab 6'box before settling on the Ranger SuperCab

Just FYI - it’s Canyorado…..  ?

I would be very interested in this configuration.  I haul a lot of long lumber and a 5’ bed doesn’t cut it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, akirby said:

I would be very interested in this configuration.  I haul a lot of long lumber and a 5’ bed doesn’t cut it.  

Aha. No wonder neither the Chevy nor GMC dealers knew what I was talking about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

AK- IMO a 6' bed isn't much better.  If you  do anything beyond 8" nothing like a Back Rack.  If I'm carrying lumber 10' or less I'll stick them in the bed resting on Back Rack.  Anything over 10' I'll leave gate up with up to 4' overhanging gate -red flagged of course-with balance on BR.  Nice thing about BR, as rugged as it is, makes a good tie down  too. I routinely carry up to 2 x 10 PT that is heavy, comfortably.

41 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

AK- IMO a 6' bed isn't much better.  If you  do anything beyond 8" nothing like a Back Rack.  If I'm carrying lumber 10' or less I'll stick them in the bed resting on Back Rack.  Anything over 10' I'll leave gate up with up to 4' overhanging gate -red flagged of course-with balance on BR.  Nice thing about BR, as rugged as it is, makes a good tie down  too. I routinely carry up to 2 x 10 PT that is heavy, comfortably.

I’m carrying 10 footers with my 6.5’ f150 with no problem (tailgate up).  I could use a bed extender or overhead rack or the load extensions that fit into the receiver.  I’m just more comfortable with a 6’ bed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2023-ford-ranger-spied-with-extended-tray.

While the Ranger is more important to Ford in other markets, this prototype has a number of NA- oriented cues:

• LHD & no driver's side grab handle
  • Side exhaust
  • CHMSL in roof vs tailgate 
  • USA-type AC outlets in box inverter

I came very close to buying a gm ColorAnyon CrewCab 6'box before settling on the Ranger SuperCab; this would be a welcome upgrade. Ranger is the only midsize body-on-frame truck without this configuration in NA.

The article you posted mentioned the prototype was from China, which is of course LHD. I think they buried the lead in this article... this maybe the first confirmation that Ford is going to build the Ranger in China and this is probably a test build that is in Australia for test/evaluation since Ranger engineering center in there. The crewcab/long bed configuration is the most popular one for pickup trucks in China. 

And of course it may also come to the US... I don't think there is anything inherently difficult about making long bed available on Ranger. Ford is the only midsize trucks in North America without this configuration as you mentioned. 

Edited by bzcat

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I’d imagine we’ll see a wider variety of options/configurations on the new model vs the current one, which has been mostly a stopgap model.

I always assumed we’d see a lot more cab and bed options on the new one.  The question is how many can they produce?  Doesn’t make sense to drop Bronco or high trim Rangers just to built a fleet special single cab long bed Ranger.  But if they have the capacity they can certainly increase sales that way.

19 minutes ago, bzcat said:

If they add another shift there should be plenty of capacity to do all kinds of things with Ranger. Wasn't that part of the announcement about additional jobs in Michigan?

I don't believe they specifically mentioned that they'd be adding a third shift at MAP.

But Fuzzy did say last week that there are rumors running around MAP that they will.  Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

19 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I don't believe they specifically mentioned that they'd be adding a third shift at MAP.

But Fuzzy did say last week that there are rumors running around MAP that they will.  Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

I've heard it's a matter of when, not if. Depends mostly on supply chain issues being resolved. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, akirby said:

I’m carrying 10 footers with my 6.5’ f150 with no problem (tailgate up).  I could use a bed extender or overhead rack or the load extensions that fit into the receiver.  I’m just more comfortable with a 6’ bed.

Got it- I thought you had a Crew Cab which is 5.5 ???

7 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

This would be an interesting configuration, however it seems you might be getting close to F150 length at that point. If they do design it though no reason not to bring it to North America.

Obviously to counter the Colorado dual cab long bed option.

23 hours ago, akirby said:

The longer bed is a game changer for a lot of buyers especially with the 2.7 EBV6,
maybe it allows Ford to build less F150 super cabs and more crew cabs?

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Obviously to counter the Colorado dual cab long bed option.

and Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma. All three (well, four if you count Canyon) have that option. Ranger really is the outlier on this. 

2022-nissan-frontier-crew-cab-5-ft-dimen

2022-nissan-frontier-crew-cab-6-ft-dimen

113076a1d4d8304593a4c8dcd1c29a98.jpg

61BC1B86-C09A-4754-BCEC-7DC842765496_thu

Chevy Colorado.png

On 6/7/2022 at 4:22 AM, bzcat said:

The article you posted mentioned the prototype was from China, which is of course LHD. I think they buried the lead in this article... this maybe the first confirmation that Ford is going to build the Ranger in China and this is probably a test build that is in Australia for test/evaluation since Ranger engineering center in there. The crewcab/long bed configuration is the most popular one for pickup trucks in China. 

And of course it may also come to the US... I don't think there is anything inherently difficult about making long bed available on Ranger. Ford is the only midsize trucks in North America without this configuration as you mentioned. 

They like to batch changes at a product cycle break…..

I had an evil thought about a longer wheelbase Everest for those markets where Explorer / Expedition are not readily available, won’t happen but nice to dream…..

31 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

The one thing no one has mentioned is that Ford has so far chosen to build all T6 Ranger cab/bed configurations on a single length frame. Doing a true crewcab with a 6 foot bed would obviously require a longer frame.

Of course.  We all know that the current Ranger was limited on wheelbase, cab, bed and powertrains because it was a stop gap product. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slemke said:

F150 is available with a 6.5’ bed on the crew cab.

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

I know but that’s a unicorn that you have to special order and it won’t fit in my garage.

Are they really all that rare?  I do an inventory search within 20 miles for a F-150/XLT/SCrew/6.5' box and get 100+ results.  Obviously, they don't all exist on the lots, but they don't seem to be the unicorn you describe them as,,,,,,,

Maybe just not as popular in your area?

HRG

• Like 1