Ranger SuperCrew w/6' box coming?

18 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

The one thing no one has mentioned is that Ford has so far chosen to build all T6 Ranger cab/bed configurations on a single length frame. Doing a true crewcab with a 6 foot bed would obviously require a longer frame.

The key phrase being "so far. " There are a lot of yeah-butts with this mule:

• The Ranger as I mentioned is more important to Ford internationally,  yeah but in many markets cab forward trucks with the same or greater payload volume/GCWR are available in that footprint.
  • It would be almost as big as an F-150, yeah but there is ever tightening EPA regs and trending conventional wisdom that full size PU's are getting too big & expensive in NA. 
  • On closer reading of the Car Expert article, "As per the build label for the longer tub ONLY,  on the spied prototype, it was produced in China in December 2021 and is a one-off." Emphasis mine.
  • The box was made in China, yeah but it has NA-type 60hz/120v AC outlets on the inverter, not foreign
  • Ranger currently is built on only one frame, yeah but Bronco is built on a shorter updated T6 frame, maybe there is a longer one being considered for a SC-6ft?
  • AFIK, no ROW ranger powertrain has/will have side exhaust.

38 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Are they really all that rare?  I do an inventory search within 20 miles for a F-150/XLT/SCrew/6.5' box and get 100+ results.  Obviously, they don't all exist on the lots, but they don't seem to be the unicorn you describe them as,,,,,,,

Maybe just not as popular in your area?

HRG

Check that list again - I get the same 100+ results but only 3 are actually 6.5’ - the rest are 5.5’.  There must be a glitch in the inventory system.

I only see one every few months here in GA.  99% are 5.5’.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Check that list again - I get the same 100+ results but only 3 are actually 6.5’ - the rest are 5.5’.  There must be a glitch in the inventory system.

I only see one every few months here in GA.  99% are 5.5’.

Yeap, I see (6) 6.5' XLT's, then it jumps to 5.5's, starting at the closest distance again.

Moot point anyway, it won't fit in my garage, or yours,,,,,

HRG

16 hours ago, akirby said:

I know but that’s a unicorn that you have to special order and it won’t fit in my garage.

That depends on the market. They order quite a few SuperCrew 6.5’ beds in my area, but we are much more rural here so they appeal more to the country folk vs urban dwellers.

On 6/6/2022 at 12:23 PM, akirby said:

I’m carrying 10 footers with my 6.5’ f150 with no problem (tailgate up).  I could use a bed extender or overhead rack or the load extensions that fit into the receiver.  I’m just more comfortable with a 6’ bed.

Flippin’ houses as a side-hustle?

On 6/8/2022 at 10:38 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

Yeap, I see (6) 6.5' XLT's, then it jumps to 5.5's, starting at the closest distance again.

Moot point anyway, it won't fit in my garage, or yours,,,,,

HRG

Y’all should’ve built bigger garages.  I added a couple extra feet to mine just in case.  The garage at my previous house was only 230” deep.  I had to pull up to the front wall and had a couple inches to spare between the bumper and the garage door.  I didn’t want that to happen at my next house.  There always seemed to be a few around when I searched, but finding a 4x2 was even harder to do.  Doesn’t matter much in this environment as ordering is the way to go.

Now a super duty crew cab with an 8’ bed is a long beast.  Guy at work has one.  He needs two parking spaces.  According to google it is 22.75’ long.  Tight fit in a 24’ deep garage.

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Thinking about that longer Ranger frame, I wonder if a Super Cab with a seven foot or eight foot bed is possible 

Maybe preferable to a offering a regular cab vehicle……

Certainly possible, but what is the width between the wheel wells?  The ability to cary 4x8’ sheet goods is a desirable feature.  Having to rely on making a shelf isn’t desirable.  And at that length, might as well get a full sized.  The Tacoma is as long as my ‘99 super cab with 6.5’ bed.

33 minutes ago, slemke said:

Certainly possible, but what is the width between the wheel wells?  The ability to cary 4x8’ sheet goods is a desirable feature.  Having to rely on making a shelf isn’t desirable.  And at that length, might as well get a full sized.  The Tacoma is as long as my ‘99 super cab with 6.5’ bed.

Think chassis cab with flat aluminium tray back….

This is an early PX Ranger showing how the style evolved from the three bar grille Visor look of styles in the late 2000s when the 2011 cy Ranger was being developed…

image.jpeg.9242c2db807e69826c9a817ef12cc48b.jpeg

Edited by jpd80

On 6/10/2022 at 11:03 PM, slemke said:

Ford increased the width between the rear wheel wheels on the next gen. All they have said is that you can now fit an "international size" pallet between the wells, not sure if that also means the space is at least 4' wide? Probably not since an international pallet is listed as 40"W x 48"L. 

I don't know if they widened the rear section of the frame under the bed but I don't think so. They have said that they moved the rear shocks outboard of the frame rails a la F-150 which was the main reason why they could move the wheel wells farther apart. They also increased the track width by about 2" which would have added space between the wheels and the frame, again making more room for the shocks. That also leads me to believe they did not change the width at the back half of the frame because doing so would mean less room for the outboard shocks.

I have an Aluma 8'x12' utility trailer so the truck's bed width is not as big of an issue for me.

11 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Ford increased the width between the rear wheel wheels on the next gen. All they have said is that you can now fit an "international size" pallet between the wells, not sure if that also means the space is at least 4' wide? Probably not since an international pallet is listed as 40"W x 48"L. 

I don't know if they widened the rear section of the frame under the bed but I don't think so. They have said that they moved the rear shocks outboard of the frame rails a la F-150 which was the main reason why they could move the wheel wells farther apart. They also increased the track width by about 2" which would have added space between the wheels and the frame, again making more room for the shocks. That also leads me to believe they did not change the width at the back half of the frame because doing so would mean less room for the outboard shocks.

I have an Aluma 8'x12' utility trailer so the truck's bed width is not as big of an issue for me.

I thought the current width was 45” wide.  So maybe, 48”.  I couldn’t tell looking at pallet pictures as it appears they can be loaded with a fork lift from either side.

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 11:22 AM, bzcat said:

The article you posted mentioned the prototype was from China, which is of course LHD. I think they buried the lead in this article... this maybe the first confirmation that Ford is going to build the Ranger in China and this is probably a test build that is in Australia for test/evaluation since Ranger engineering center in there. The crewcab/long bed configuration is the most popular one for pickup trucks in China. 

And of course it may also come to the US... I don't think there is anything inherently difficult about making long bed available on Ranger. Ford is the only midsize trucks in North America without this configuration as you mentioned. 

So anyway... bumping this old thread because I just read that China State Council just released a new regulation that will repeal the ban on pickup trucks entering urban area in 2023.

Yes, in case you didn't know, pickup trucks are not allowed in urban areas in China. The repeal was widely expected which lead to a rush of new pickup truck models being launched by Chinese car companies in 2022. 

I expect that with this repeal, Jianling Ford will begin local assembly and sales of Ranger in 2023. Jiangling Ford is already a major pickup truck seller in China with JMC Boadian and Yuhu pickup trucks so it was always just a matter of when not if Ranger will enter the market.