TSB - 3/2/1 Downshift

I hadn't experienced, but was talking to a 2021 owner, and he jinxed me.

It's not very repeatable, but seems to be keyed to engine brake on, and according to TSB when tow/haul is activated.  I've experienced it twice, once with trailer, once without.  Literally rolling up to a traffic light with every light pressure on brake pedal.  It's a pretty sharp "jerk" that makes you think, what did I just hit!

I'm going to have them fix it when I take the truck in for the two recalls that are activated.

• ice-capades changed the title to TSB - 3/2/1 Downshift
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the TSB number that I'm aware of for this issue is 22-2267. Here is a short from ARod, a YouTube streamer who focuses on the 6.7L Diesel trucks:

https://youtube.com/shorts/-mRzPA3pziM?feature=share

When on vacation a couple of weeks ago pulling the 5th wheel, I definitely noticed the problem especially on a 2-1 downshift when we were in Tow/Haul mode. So I have the SD scheduled for the shop in August for a TCM/PCM reprogramming.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know, I had this TSB performed on my 22 F-350 last Thursday and it corrected the problem with the hard 2-1 downshift when in Tow/Haul mode. Now I have to let the tranny do another "learn" cycle but I think once it's done the 10-speed transmission will do much better overall. There is always the possibility that the TCM/PCM reprogramming may have corrected other bugs. Still love my truck. A few minor issues here and there, but nothing that would give me second thoughts.

Here is the link for the TSB:

https://dot.report/bulletins/10215617

Edited by AtlasBlue350

• 2 months later...

After coming unglued on my dealer for NOT doing the TSB the first time around, they finally did it last week.  Their excuse, we couldn't duplicate the issue.  OF COURSE NOT, it's intermittent, mostly happens in tow haul mode and more frequently while towing a 5th wheel.  Just do the GD reprogramming and stop playing games.

Deep Breath

It got reprogrammed and transmission in general seems to be a bit smoother in shifting.  Because it was intermittent, it will be hard to tell if it was fixed.  Pretty disconcerting to coming up to a traffic light towing a big 5th wheel and feel the transmission slam into 1st gear.  I suspect it had to do with clutch timing, prior set of clutches were not disengaged before the next set engaged, but that's only a guess on my part.