2017-2022 6.7L Diesel Super Duty fuel mileage?

All,

I had a 2017 4x4 F350 CCSB Platinum Super Duty with 6.7L diesel engine and around town and back and forth to work, I usually averaged 17mpg.  I was able to get almost 19mpg when travelling on interstate around 77mph.  I ordered a 2022 4x4 F350 CCSB King Ranch fairly well equipped and similar to the Platinum and with the new engine from 2020 changes, I'm getting between 18-18.5mpg going back and forth to work, 26 miles each way.  I have not taken for a trip yet so I'm thinking maybe close to 20mpg.  When I pulled a trailer with 2017 from AR to SC pulling a car, total trailer weight was close to 6000lbs, I was getting 12mpg running 80mph with all accessories running as desired.  I was getting around same mileage with trailer empty as loaded, diesel didn't seem to care either way.  I really like the improvements to the new engine after 2020 changes, plus the idle sound is cool, sounds similar to a choppy cam from my hot rod days.  BTW, I also removed the front stock air dam (snow plow) and installed the Tremor short version, looks a lot better IMHO and hasn't affected my mileage that I can determine.  I drove it for about a month before I put on Tremor air damn so that was about 4x fill-ups with same mileage stats as now.

What kind of mileage are you guys seeing with you late model (2017-2022) Super Duties with 6.7L diesel with and without trailers or just around town?

Thanks,

787Toolman

Edited by 787Toolman

On this current trip, I have completed about 1,700 miles and overall, I am averaging 17.7 miles to the smaller US gallon. This is a combination of climbing through the Rockies at 60 to 70 mph and then on the motorway across the Prairies at 70 mph. It has definitely improved since clearing the mountains.

Today we were in no hurry, so did about 200 miles at 50 mph and averaged about 24 to 25 mpg, again converting to the US gal. At 60-65 on the flat I get about 20 mpg.

F-450 with 4.3 rear end and only 170 miles when we started.

With the 10-speed, I am finding improved fuel economy over the 2016 F-350 DRW 4x2.

Haven't hitched up our 5th wheel yet.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 8:04 PM, Rangers09 said:

On this current trip, I have completed about 1,700 miles and overall, I am averaging 17.7 miles to the smaller US gallon. This is a combination of climbing through the Rockies at 60 to 70 mph and then on the motorway across the Prairies at 70 mph. It has definitely improved since clearing the mountains.

Today we were in no hurry, so did about 200 miles at 50 mph and averaged about 24 to 25 mpg, again converting to the US gal. At 60-65 on the flat I get about 20 mpg.

F-450 with 4.3 rear end and only 170 miles when we started.

With the 10-speed, I am finding improved fuel economy over the 2016 F-350 DRW 4x2.

Haven't hitched up our 5th wheel yet.

absolutely amazing fuel performance considering the rough trek...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, boarslayer said:

I just finished a 1400 mile trip in my 22 F450 pulling a 17000 pound 5th wheel from Georgia to East Tennessee and then to Kentucky and back to Georgia.  I got 10 miles a gallon.  I have been getting 15.8 when not pulling anything.

Amazing story, but I'm surprised you don't show better fuel mileage without load?  Even the 10mpg seems low pulling, Rangers09 getting 17.7 without load which is right at where I'm hovering but I'm running 3.55 gears so that's probably why I'm getting closer to 18mpg.  Maybe trailer brakes are dragging some or combined with low tire pressures?  The trailering load is nothing to shake a stick at so 10mpg is not terrible but empty should be more like 17-18mpg, IMHO.  keep the tests going, good info.

Comparing MPG is like comparing insurance prices. There are so many variables. Terrain, how hard you accelerate, how early do you lift off when stopping, altitude, the price of milk, etc

But, my 2020 F350 6.7 gets mid 16's around town, between 11-13 towing 11K 5th wheel.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lcseds said:

Comparing MPG is like comparing insurance prices. There are so many variables. Terrain, how hard you accelerate, how early do you lift off when stopping, altitude, the price of milk, etc

But, my 2020 F350 6.7 gets mid 16's around town, between 11-13 towing 11K 5th wheel.

You're correct, there are many variable that affect fuel mileage but by folks sharing their experiences, we can all learn some valuable common information and get some perspective.  The one common thing I was hoping for with this thread is all 6.7L late model diesel trucks with aluminum body, probably mostly 4x4 crew cab since that configuration is very common amongst the crowd posting on this site.  Since Ford took most if not all the body weight savings from aluminum body and increased frame stiffness, probably not much different than 2016 mileage but if we go back too far, earlier engines could impact comparison results.  

9 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Unfortunately, today wasn't so great, bucking about a 30 - 35 kt head wind and starting to climb the Rockies foothills.

I remember driving West across South Dakota a few years ago.  25 MPH head wind, running 70 MPH towing my 12k lb. fifth wheel, perpetual uphill climb.  Somewhere around 6.7MPG with my 6.7L diesel.  And that's without a regen! ?

Of course, diesel was a lot cheaper back then...

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:07 PM, Rangers09 said:

Unfortunately, today wasn't so great, bucking about a 30 - 35 kt head wind and starting to climb the Rockies foothills.

Only saving grace is knowing a 7.3L gasser would be getting 6mpg or less with those conditions.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 5:22 AM, fordmantpw said:

I remember driving West across South Dakota a few years ago.  25 MPH head wind, running 70 MPH towing my 12k lb. fifth wheel, perpetual uphill climb.  Somewhere around 6.7MPG with my 6.7L diesel.  And that's without a regen! ?

Of course, diesel was a lot cheaper back then...

I can definitely relate. Even without towing, when I hit a regen and the head wind, the instant readout dropped to below 10 mpg.

Had I been towing our 16,500 lb 5'er, rather than mpg, it would have been gallons per mile.

11 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

I can definitely relate. Even without towing, when I hit a regen and the head wind, the instant readout dropped to below 10 mpg.

Had I been towing our 16,500 lb 5'er, rather than mpg, it would have been gallons per mile.

I'm glad you brought up regen with diesel mileage, now that explains why my mileage can be looking really good then all of a sudden, it's less, I never made the connection a regen cycle might be executing.  I guess no matter when it occurs, it will cost fuel to get thru the regen, even if sitting still when regen is happening.  I'd like to research this a little more.

15 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

I'm glad you brought up regen with diesel mileage, now that explains why my mileage can be looking really good then all of a sudden, it's less, I never made the connection a regen cycle might be executing.  I guess no matter when it occurs, it will cost fuel to get thru the regen, even if sitting still when regen is happening.  I'd like to research this a little more.

I have to do a little research with the manual, as I noted a couple of regens on our recent trip, but don't recall seeing an information notice on the dash. The 2013 & 2016 F-350's both flashed a message when it was starting a regen.

1 hour ago, Rangers09 said:

I have to do a little research with the manual, as I noted a couple of regens on our recent trip, but don't recall seeing an information notice on the dash. The 2013 & 2016 F-350's both flashed a message when it was starting a regen.

'17+ trucks don't flash that message anymore.  

• Like 1

2022 F350 CC LB 6.7 4X4 with 3.55...Just finished a 3750 mile round trip from Southern Az to Northern Montana and back. 17.4 average over the entire trip. Truck was loaded with (5) adults, (2) dogs, full bed and (4) bikes hanging off the rear. You will definitely get better MPG if you keep it under 70 MPH.

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 11:13 PM, Robin Hood said:

2022 F350 CC LB 6.7 4X4 with 3.55...Just finished a 3750 mile round trip from Southern Az to Northern Montana and back. 17.4 average over the entire trip. Truck was loaded with (5) adults, (2) dogs, full bed and (4) bikes hanging off the rear. You will definitely get better MPG if you keep it under 70 MPH.

awesome mileage considering all the payload and some extra drag from the bikes.  This is a testament to diesel vs. gas, I'd bet a gasser would be hard pressed to get 10mpg with those same loads and conditions.  Just think, barely two years ago, I was paying $1.79 per gallon for diesel in coastal SC☹️.

Speed has a huge impact, especially when towing.  The aerodynamics of a trailer, is slightly better than a brick.  Weight has a minimal effect on mpg.  Driving at 70 with a 25 mph headwind, is the equivalent to driving at nearly 95 mpg.  It would be slightly less, because the drive train drag is still at 70 mph.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, road turtle said:

Speed has a huge impact, especially when towing.  The aerodynamics of a trailer, is slightly better than a brick.  Weight has a minimal effect on mpg.  Driving at 70 with a 25 mph headwind, is the equivalent to driving at nearly 95 mpg.  It would be slightly less, because the drive train drag is still at 70 mph.

IIRC drag goes up exponentially with speed.

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

IIRC drag goes up exponentially with speed.

close, but it's velocity to the 3rd power.  The math can get pretty complicated, because you start running into other issues at higher speed with turbulent flow, changes in vehicle height, etc.  Years ago, I caught all kinds of heck in a dodge charger forum, because I said a dodge charger would need approximately 700 hp to get to 200 mph.  I nailed it, hellcat at 707 hp will get to 201 mph.

• Like 1

Took a trip from Leavenworth, KS to Cedar Falls, IA a month ago in my 2019 F450 (26,000 mile on the odometer), calm weather running at 69mph and got the best fuel mileage that I had ever gotten in my 450, 16.6mpg. Traded in my 450 and picked up my new 22 F350 dually with 3.55 gearing and took made that same trip last week and got 19.3mpg (52 miles on the odometer). 

We have just over 5,000 miles now on our 22' F350 crew cab dully, XLT 2x4 with 3:55 rear.  Not towing, I'm getting 18 to 20 mpg.  Towing our 41' 5th wheel, we'll get 9 to 12 depending on hills, flat or head wind.

She's performed perfect so far.  As far as regen, honestly I've not noticed if it's gone through one or not yet.  We waited for the 1,000 mile mark before towing and we didn't pick up our 5th wheel till it had 1800 on it.

We've been full time RV'ing since June this year.

our rig.jpg

• Like 1