Possible to add clearance lights after build?

The F350 I ordered has been stuck in production since early May but I looked back and realized I forgot to add the roof clearance lights. Is it possible to have a dealership add them after the fact? I've searched this forum and using Google but I'm mostly pulling up after market options. Searching Ford Parts doesn't yield anything except for replacement lights for the front/rear/license plate/inside cab/glovebox.

It's not a requirement I know, just a nice to have. My own fault for not triple checking the final build sheet from the dealer :/

2 hours ago, mortadella said:

The F350 I ordered has been stuck in production since early May but I looked back and realized I forgot to add the roof clearance lights. Is it possible to have a dealership add them after the fact? I've searched this forum and using Google but I'm mostly pulling up after market options. Searching Ford Parts doesn't yield anything except for replacement lights for the front/rear/license plate/inside cab/glovebox.

It's not a requirement I know, just a nice to have. My own fault for not triple checking the final build sheet from the dealer ?

Yes, the Roof Clearance Lights can be installed afterwards. Your Dealer can give you an estimate for the required parts and installation.

In 35+ years, I'd have trouble remembering an instance where I ordered a retail Super Duty without the Roof Clearance Lights. If a customer didn't have it on their list of options, I always asked about it and recommended it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Yes, the Roof Clearance Lights can be installed afterwards. Your Dealer can give you an estimate for the required parts and installation.

In 35+ years, I'd have trouble remembering an instance where I ordered a retail Super Duty without the Roof Clearance Lights. If a customer didn't have it on their list of options, I always asked about it and recommended it.  

Id rather have them and not like them vs stomaching cutting holes in my brand new truck cause I didnt get them on my original order. 

9 hours ago, mortadella said:

The F350 I ordered has been stuck in production since early May but I looked back and realized I forgot to add the roof clearance lights. Is it possible to have a dealership add them after the fact? I've searched this forum and using Google but I'm mostly pulling up after market options. Searching Ford Parts doesn't yield anything except for repla cement lights for the front/rear/license plate/inside cab/glovebox.

It's not a requirement I know, just a nice to have. My own fault for not triple checking the final build sheet from the dealer ?

I had a 2017 Platinum F350 without roof clearance lights that was dealer stock.  I ordered some clearance lights off Amazon and when I got them I realized the holes are rectangular and require a notch in the hole to .  Making holes is easy when the hole is round, very difficult to make a rectangular hole, especially with an added notch.  I contemplated having a metal punch made to punch the holes using a bolt with two piece die.  That was going to cost $300 to have a die punch custom made, plus you would need to remove the headliner and wire them to the lighting circuit which may not have a wire already in place.  I talked myself out of it but I made sure to add it to my custom ordered 2022.  I doubt a dealer has the correct equipment to add 5 rectangular holes in exact locations and on a compound curved surface, but you can surely inquire.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4thTimer said:

Why? I mean, is there a value other than aesthetic?  

The Roof Clearance Lights (592) are standard on F-350 DRW's & F-450's. On models where they're optional, it's only a $95 (MSRP) option from the factory and on those models, at least 95% of customers want them. For some it's the aesthetics to visually reinforce that their vehicle is a Super Duty, for some it's a minor resale issue. I don't remember the specifics, but they may also be a requirement for certain commercial vehicle applications, vehicle upfits, etc. Regardless, it's a very minor expense added to a factory order but can be costly to add aftermarket due to the parts and labor expenses. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wowens79 said:

I’ve always wondered why they are popular.  I hate having extra holes in a roof, I’m sure they have a system so they don’t leak, but unless there is a purpose that I don’t know of, I’d rather not have them. 

When I see them, they always strike me as commercial vehicle or "old man truck."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Yarbrough said:

When I ordered my F350 on March 28th the roof lights were not available on the option list. Ordered a F350 lariat SRW . Dealer said they could install but wouldn’t confirm price . Will sure be more than the $95.00 option from Ford . 

I don't know which option list you're referring to, or who told you, but the Roof Clearance Lights (592) have been included in every Super Duty Order Guide since... forever. And I can't remember a time when there was ever a notice from Ford that they weren't available. If you relied on specifications at the Ford.com site, there often are times when the option list is not accurate or complete. 

21 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I don't know which option list you're referring to, or who told you, but the Roof Clearance Lights (592) have been included in every Super Duty Order Guide since... forever. And I can't remember a time when there was ever a notice from Ford that they weren't available. If you relied on specifications at the Ford.com site, there often are times when the option list is not accurate or complete. 

So can someone verify a rough order of magnitude cost to add these after the fact? Also does Ford have an actual procedure or is it left the the dealers to butcher as they see fit ? I wish I had them but as always would be concerned about adding after the fact.

22 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I had several items not available when I ordered , also dealer confirmed. 5 th wheel pre package , roof lights, wheel well liners , mud flaps, spray in bed liner , uplifter switches. Ordered truck on March 28 2022 . F350 lariat with 7.3 gasser . 

49 minutes ago, Johnny Yarbrough said:

I had several items not available when I ordered , also dealer confirmed. 5 th wheel pre package , roof lights, wheel well liners , mud flaps, spray in bed liner , uplifter switches. Ordered truck on March 28 2022 . F350 lariat with 7.3 gasser . 

I'd seriously doubt some of this information from your Dealer. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Yarbrough said:

5th wheel prep and bedliner were the only known constraints at that time.

23 hours ago, Cglenn said:

So can someone verify a rough order of magnitude cost to add these after the fact? Also does Ford have an actual procedure or is it left the the dealers to butcher as they see fit ? I wish I had them but as always would be concerned about adding after the fact.

i just added to my 2022 f250 took about 2 hours there is a plug at the ottom of the passenger side a pillar with a dummy end which is made for the clearance lights harness to hook into, so no cutting into factory wiring, i went with a set i put on 6 years ago  on other truck and have never had a leak or light issue with, plus they are the old style not the new ones ive seen . total cost harness and lights under $50. about 8 bolts to remove( 2 for each a pillar , 2 for each visor) 1 speaker plugs in each a pillar and plug by rearview mirror, make sure double check placement before drilling holes. can send pics of what they look like if wanted

On 6/15/2022 at 6:17 AM, ice-capades said:

The Roof Clearance Lights (592) are standard on F-350 DRW's & F-450's. On models where they're optional, it's only a $95 (MSRP) option from the factory and on those models, at least 95% of customers want them. For some it's the aesthetics to visually reinforce that their vehicle is a Super Duty, for some it's a minor resale issue. I don't remember the specifics, but they may also be a requirement for certain commercial vehicle applications, vehicle upfits, etc. Regardless, it's a very minor expense added to a factory order but can be costly to add aftermarket due to the parts and labor expenses. 

I'm not saying you are wrong but I would think Ford would just make them standard if 95% if them are ordered with the lights.   

FWIW - I ordered without the lights. I don't like the look and don't want extra holes in the roof that could leak.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Monoman said:

I'm not saying you are wrong but I would think Ford would just make them standard if 95% if them are ordered with the lights.   

FWIW - I ordered without the lights. I don't like the look and don't want extra holes in the roof that could leak.

Agreed about Ford making the Roof Clearance Lights standard equipment. Leakage is not a problem if installed correctly. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Agreed about Ford making the Roof Clearance Lights standard equipment. Leakage is not a problem if installed correctly. 

The same can be said that sunroofs won't leak if installed properly.  I passed on that option too.  

33 minutes ago, Monoman said:

The same can be said that sunroofs won't leak if installed properly.  I passed on that option too.  

Agree on sunroofs had 89 f150 sunroof leaked for years same with 95 tbird after those two never again.. I have installed 3-4 sets of cab lights never had issue with leaking but take my time doing it right for that reason.