Possible to add clearance lights after build?

On 6/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, Johnny Yarbrough said:

I had several items not available when I ordered , also dealer confirmed. 5 th wheel pre package , roof lights, wheel well liners , mud flaps, spray in bed liner , uplifter switches. Ordered truck on March 28 2022 . F350 lariat with 7.3 gasser . 

I ordered Mar 25th and couldn’t add clearance lights to my F350 XLT SRW. Also couldn’t add adjustable pedals or even upfitter switches.  Frustrating!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 4:51 PM, Monoman said:

The same can be said that sunroofs won't leak if installed properly.  I passed on that option too.  

They leak trust me.  I’ll never have another one on a 4x4 that’s spinning mud and rocks sky high.  Whatever goes up must come down or in my case, it came through my sunroof.  Never again!!!!

20 minutes ago, Boss Hog said:

They leak trust me.  I’ll never have another one on a 4x4 that’s spinning mud and rocks sky high.  Whatever goes up must come down or in my case, it came through my sunroof.  Never again!!!!

Sunroofs leak if you hit them with a rock.  Who knew?

• Haha 4

They’re not bad to install. Recon makes a factory looking led light that mounts using round holes. There are several YouTube videos on how to install them. I’ve installed several sets and never had one leak. They plug into the factory harness at the passenger A pillar and work like factory lights. I just installed some on a 2020. They work like factory installed lights. I think the kit was $150

Edited by art_vandelay

• 2 weeks later...

When you installed them is there anything to worry about as far as the air bag system goes?  I've got an '18 F-250 XL at work that was not ordered with cab lights but if I can talk the boss into them for that kind of money I'd maybe try tackle the job.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:15 AM, Cglenn said:

So can someone verify a rough order of magnitude cost to add these after the fact? Also does Ford have an actual procedure or is it left the the dealers to butcher as they see fit ? I wish I had them but as always would be concerned about adding after the fact.

I asked a dealer about it several years ago. They wanted $500 labor plus parts ($250 ish). Ended up buying an $11 set of lights from Harbor Freight and drilling 15 holes in the roof myself. With a generous application of silicone sealant in and around every hole, I never had a problem. You’ll spend more time measuring and tormenting yourself with the thought that one light points a hair off center than you will physically installing them. 

On 6/14/2022 at 9:49 PM, 4thTimer said:

Why? I mean, is there a value other than aesthetic?  

Easier to spot truck in a full parking lot, visual confirmation of successful remote start, better visibility at night and in bad weather, wider audience for resale. On a personal note, I’ve found that the lights tend to have an “oh shit” effect that motivates slow drivers to move over at night as well. It communicates the size of the truck more effectively. 

The lights became a mandatory feature for me when I was picking up a pallet from a factory loading zone before sunrise. The gate attendant asked me to turn off my headlights to avoid blinding their forklift drivers. Two minutes later, a forklift driver didn’t see my parking lights down low and almost turned my truck into a convertible. I added amber strobes not long after for the same reason. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:43 AM, JSA said:

When you installed them is there anything to worry about as far as the air bag system goes?  I've got an '18 F-250 XL at work that was not ordered with cab lights but if I can talk the boss into them for that kind of money I'd maybe try tackle the job.

It’s not difficult. There are air bags in each A pillar. You’ll basically just see them when you remove the A-pillar trim. You will also run the wiring down the passenger side A-pillar. Just take care to run the wire so it doesn’t interfere with the air bag operation. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on adding the clearance lights. Difficulty is probably a 3 out of 5

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 6:02 AM, Boss Hog said:

Mine have never leaked, in any vehicle, in Seattle.  Only the minority with issues make noise. - expected...