Direct Injection Cleaning Kit

bobbyd

My daughter's 2019 Edge has a 2.0 Eco boost engine. The dealer recommended we have the Direct Injection Cleaning done with her oil change. ($100) I heard from others it could affect the turbo during the cleaning. Any suggestions. Thanks!

2 hours ago, bobbyd said:

My daughter's 2019 Edge has a 2.0 Eco boost engine. The dealer recommended we have the Direct Injection Cleaning done with her oil change. ($100) I heard from others it could affect the turbo during the cleaning. Any suggestions. Thanks!

Hi bobbyd. Ford specifically tells owners not to perform injection tract cleaning services (i.e Sea Foam, CRC etc.) on their EcoBoost and Lincoln T engines. Yes, it can damage the turbo impellers, housings, seals, catalytic converters etc. Do not do it.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi bobbyd. Ford specifically tells owners not to perform injection tract cleaning services (i.e Sea Foam, CRC etc.) on their EcoBoost and Lincoln T engines. Yes, it can damage the turbo impellers, housings, seals, catalytic converters etc. Do not do it.

Good luck.

Thanks bbf2530 for your response. I don't want to damage the components but was wondering if there are any alternatives to this carbon issue on Direct Injection engines?

At least , your timing was perfect, since we get our oil change on Thursday.

33 minutes ago, bobbyd said:

Thanks bbf2530 for your response. I don't want to damage the components but was wondering if there are any alternatives to this carbon issue on Direct Injection engines?

At least , your timing was perfect, since we get our oil change on Thursday.

Hi bobbyd. Currently, the only Ford approved method of cleaning the valves is to remove the intake and manually clean them (i.e. walnut blasting etc).

And just to avoid confusion for others: Intake cleaning services are generally okay to use on Direct Injection engines (GDI/Gas Direct Injection). GDI engines are not turbocharged, only direct injected. Although there is still the issue of possible catalytic converter damage.

However, intake cleaning services can not be used on Gas Turbocharged Direct Injection engines (GTDI). It is the turbocharger/turbochargers which makes the difference.

Good luck.

• Like 1